Piper Jaffray: Apple will likely sell 5-6M iPhones over launch weekend

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 25
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Due to only 5 MM available. I'm sure they have more 5C's available.

They likely will have more 5C's available this weekend than 5S's. As far as 5C sales this weekend though, two questions come to my mind:

How many 5C buyers will actually camp out overnight, or rush out to purchase a 5C over this weekend

How many 5S buyers will buy a 5C instead either because they prefer the 5C or are unable to get a 5S

Side note: I find it curious Apple seems to have put all of their ad spending into the 5C releasing quite a few promotionals for the device already with none for the 5S.
  • Reply 22 of 25
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    rumormill wrote: »
    These analyst are useless. There are too many variables to determine what this weekends sales mean compared to last year. Apple could even limit how many phones they want sold in this quarter to ensure the December quarter is a blow out. May have nothing to do with supply and demand.

If Apple wanted to save them for the Dec qtr, it would have released them in two weeks rather than Friday.
  • Reply 23 of 25
    Quote:

Originally Posted by blackbook View Post

I think we're going to see a lot of that over this weekend.

Tim Cook is a master at inventories.

I doubt there is less stock of 5Ss than there were of 5s a year ago. I'm assuming just as a year ago there will be 5 million 5Ss ready launch weekend, but demand this year for the 5S being greater will more quickly outstrip supply. That will leave plenty of 5Cs for customers desperate to have the latest iPhone to fight over.

I think we could easily see upwards of 8-9 million iPhones sold this weekend (4-5 million 5Ss and 3-4 million 5Cs).

8-9 million iPhones?  Please don't get those jackass analysts started with the big iPhone numbers theory.  They'll see  your figure and then try to stick another million or two on top of that and eventually even if Apple sells 10 million it will be seen as a disappointment and proof that Apple has jumped the shark.  I'm already pissed that only Apple's share price is stuck in the mud while the rest of the stock market soars to the heavens.

• Reply 24 of 25
    8-9 million iPhones?  Please don't get those jackass analysts started with the big iPhone numbers theory.  They'll see  your figure and then try to stick another million or two on top of that and eventually even if Apple sells 10 million it will be seen as a disappointment and proof that Apple has jumped the shark.  I'm already pissed that only Apple's<span style="line-height:1.4em;"> share price is stuck in the mud while the rest of the stock market soars to the heavens.</span>

At least the stock was up on the iOS 7 release yesterday.

That was a HUGE opportunity for a sell off but not even the worst analyst could manipulate the massive positive reaction iOS 7 was getting from MILLIONS of users online.
  • Reply 25 of 25
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member

sure, if the 5c/5s first weekend sales don't at least match last year's, that will be a bad sign for real. if your "latest and greatest" drops off from the previous model (all other things being equal) that is not good.

plus with two new models this time and an expanded global launch, that alone should boost initial sales.

and there is a lot of enthusiasm about the 5s. it's gotten mostly 4/5 star reviews, except for a few nagging nabobs of negativism. Touch ID in particular is shaping up as a "killer feature" that people just have to have - all the reviewers said they really wished they didn't have to go back to the old passcode manual entry after they got used to it. so i'm sure all the other OEM's are in a panic now to rush their own biometric ID feature into production (how fast can Samsung copy it?). 

add all that up, and yeah, at least 6 million sales would be expected, and 8 million is possible. so for once i don't think these "analysts" are way off.

first reality check will be how long the lines outside Apple stores are tonight compared to last year - the most enthusiastic.