Apple brings iCloud bookmark syncing for Chrome and Firefox to Windows PCs

Posted:
in iCloud edited January 2014
Alongside the rollout of iOS 7 Wednesday, Apple issued an update to its iCloud Control Panel for Windows with support for bookmark syncing in Google's Chrome and Mozilla's Firefox Web browsers.

iCloud CP

Apple's iCloud Control Panel 3.0 for Windows continues to offer cross-device mail, contacts and calendar syncing between iPhones, iPads, iPod touches, Macs and Windows PCs, but adds support for bookmarks saved in Chrome and Firefox.

The new feature allows iCloud users to save bookmarks on their iOS device and have it synced to Chrome and Firefox on their Windows PC. Previously, support was only available for Microsoft's Internet Explorer.

Apple notes that the appropriate iCloud Bookmarks extensions for Chrome and Firefox must be installed for the system to work. These can be downloaded via the respective websites for Chrome and Firefox.

Apple has yet to add iCloud bookmark syncing support for the Mac versions of Chrome and Firefox.

iCloud Control Panel 3.0 for Windows can be downloaded for free from Apple's Support Downloads webpage.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 24
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

What about Safari for Windows?

Oh wait...

• Reply 2 of 24
    Really annoying that they won't let you use this on Chrome for OSX. I don't like using safari on the desktop but I enjoy using it on the iPhone. I don't care for iOS Chrome's slower speed and interface.
  • Reply 3 of 24

How about just continuing to make Safari for Windows?! What was so difficult about that? It’s the best browser available anywhere. Safari isn’t like iWork and iLife where it being OS X only is a boon for sales. Safari is a gateway drug, just as iTunes is, into the Apple ecosystem. 

GET BACK ON IT, APPLE. I’ll use Safari 5 in Windows until the day no websites load in it at all if I have to. But hopefully Windows will stop existing entirely before that day comes.

• Reply 4 of 24
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

How about just continuing to make Safari for Windows?

Scott Forstall was the only person who knew how to use the secret export to Windows feature in Xcode and no one else has been able to figure it out yet /s

• Reply 5 of 24
    How about just continuing to make Safari for Windows?! What was so difficult about that? It’s the best browser available anywhere. Safari isn’t like iWork and iLife where it being OS X only is a boon for sales. Safari is a gateway drug, just as iTunes is, into the Apple ecosystem. 

GET BACK ON IT, APPLE. I’ll use Safari 5 in Windows until the day no websites load in it at all if I have to. But hopefully Windows will stop existing entirely before that day comes.

Woah. So I'm not hallucinating, and they really did just remove support for their OWN browser. Kinda makes me regret switching to Safari just for the iCloud tie-in. Gave up on Firefox years ago. Sure as hell won't start using IE. Also Google knows enough about me already. Sad thing is, I quickly fell in love with Safari and applauded myself for switching. Not looking forward to installing Firefox...

Super disappointing news. Was hoping I was wrong.
  • Reply 6 of 24

Sure would be nice for FreeBSD and Linux.

• Reply 7 of 24
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TinkerTenor View Post

Woah. So I'm not hallucinating, and they really did just remove support for their OWN browser. Kinda makes me regret switching to Safari just for the iCloud tie-in. Gave up on Firefox years ago. Sure as hell won't start using IE. Also Google knows enough about me already. Sad thing is, I quickly fell in love with Safari and applauded myself for switching. Not looking forward to installing Firefox...

Super disappointing news. Was hoping I was wrong.

Safari won't be on Windows without the full port support of LLVM/Clang currently being worked on.

• Reply 8 of 24

I have a dormant Windows 7 installation for occasionally playing some video games. Although I don't use it very much, I'd still like to use Safari on it.

As of now I use Firefox because it respects my privacy and because it has a ton of add-ons and it is very customisable.

IE is just plain shit.

Chrome is a very refined browser but it has the 'Google' word in it, so you know, data stealing and selling and what not.

Safari 5 is very slow now and I can't enjoy the web on it. So, Apple, please update Safari for Windows.

• Reply 9 of 24

One of these days you will wheel yourself into a museum of the future and show your grandchildren an IBM PC. And then you can explain to them how this computer made it possible for Bill Gates, along with his ignorant but loyal lab assistant, Steve Ballmer, to build his evil empire, Microsoft. (pause here for the kiddies to say, Oooo!)

Then they will bombard you with questions, "What is this thing with all the keys on it?" "Why did they call it Microsoft instead of Megahard." "Why did they call a CRT 'Windows?" "Were there really millions of PC like there once was millions of automobiles?" "Where did they bury Microsoft when it died?" "How come they didn't call their company after a fruit, like Apple did?
  • Reply 10 of 24
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    How about synching iOS contacts with Windows? I would love to stop maintaining a separate set of contacts for Thunderbird. Or perhaps there is a way to do this already?
  • Reply 11 of 24

Goood, gooood! Firefox user here!

• Reply 12 of 24
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Sure would be nice for FreeBSD and Linux.
    Hey, get in line! ;)

Sure would be nice for Snow Leopard.
  • Reply 13 of 24
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    mstone wrote: »
    What about Safari for Windows?

Oh wait...

Safari on Windows has iCloud bookmark syncing.
  • Reply 14 of 24
    Really annoying that they won't let you use this on Chrome for OSX. I don't like using safari on the desktop but I enjoy using it on the iPhone. I don't care for iOS Chrome's slower speed and interface.

It's coming. I'm sure.
  • Reply 15 of 24
    How about just continuing to make Safari for Windows?! What was so difficult about that? It’s the best browser available anywhere.

The best browser on Windows is easily Chrome, and many people on the Mac also use it. It is probably the most influential piece if desktop software of the last 10 years and still has features that are better than Safari, like the ability to successively close as many tabs as you like without having to move the mouse cursor, and a proper extensions gallery with comments and screenshots. Features I am, after years, still waiting on Apple to add for Safari.

That said, I prefer Safari by far on the Mac and I don't or wouldn't use Windows.
  • Reply 16 of 24
    nelsonx wrote: »
    Goood, gooood! Firefox user here!

It is very good indeed for those users. Glad Apple finally addressed this issue.
  • Reply 17 of 24
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member
    Quote:

How about just continuing to make Safari for Windows?! What was so difficult about that? It’s the best browser available anywhere

A few years back I started to use Safari on my Windows laptop instead of IE and was initially pleased by the change, but then I noticed a rapid slowdown in performance that no matter what I did, didn't improve. So I moved over to Chrome which turned out to be a revelation speed wise on my setup, and have stuck with it ever since, its quite primitive looking yes, but its fast. Safari I still use when on YouTube because it plays full-screen videos much better than Chrome does, which is ironic as both Chrome and YouTube are Google services. But even on YouTube Safari takes an age to initially start playing the first video, but once started does a smoother job of it. Maybe this is all because I have an old laptop, I'm upgrading soon, to a Mac. Then I'll see how things go from there.

• Reply 18 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 1983 View Post

Maybe this is all because I have an old laptop, I'm upgrading soon, to a Mac. Then I'll see how things go from there.

Advice: get a new MacBook Air.

• Reply 19 of 24

Is it just me or is the new iCloud portal ghastly. Enough already of the stenciled icons. Grrrr I wish the old version were available or at least some way to modify the look.

• Reply 20 of 24
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by crysisftw View Post

I have a dormant Windows 7 installation for occasionally playing some video games. Although I don't use it very much, I'd still like to use Safari on it.

As of now I use Firefox because it respects my privacy and because it has a ton of add-ons and it is very customisable.

IE is just plain shit.

Chrome is a very refined browser but it has the 'Google' word in it, so you know, data stealing and selling and what not.

Safari 5 is very slow now and I can't enjoy the web on it. So, Apple, please update Safari for Windows.

I really do not understand why Apple abandoned Safari for Windows. It was sunk in my view when Apple decided to remove the tabs from the top after releasing that design as a public beta, and not making some Windows specific tweaks. I will not use Chrome. Little Snitch tells me it calls home a billion times a session. No other browser does (at least on a Mac). I like Safari, but Firefox has come a long way. Like Chrome, it is highly customizable and fast. I would not be upset using it on Windows.