Youth lighting up Twitter, Facebook, Instagram about iOS 7

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Social media reactions to the launch of iOS 7 yesterday appears to have been heavily driven by youth, who hated the wait but are loving the product.

iOS 7

iOS 7 Anticipation

Instagram, Facebook and Twitter were full of angst and humor related to the initial wait for the iOS 7 update to become available.

Me waiting on IOS7😑 pic.twitter.com/QKzcFaE0lH

? Brooklyn Dorsey (@bmd012)

For some users, it appeared as if it would take hours (below), as Apple was tasked with delivering the roughly 750 MB iOS 7 upgrade download to a big chunk of the 300 million devices currently using iOS 6. Coping with the massive demand reportedly resulted in high priority internal alerts.

wow iOS7 will be done in no time 😅 pic.twitter.com/MSVOsUQxcm

Just a few hours later, the actual wait time was getting dramatically exaggerated by end users, rather than Apple's servers.

iOS7 has finally downloaded for me. pic.twitter.com/eLEIYyfyII

? deezy. ⚡ (@dafx_)

iOS 7 Obsession

There initially was so much talk about iOS 7 on social media networks that eventually there was nearly as much talk about the talk about iOS 7 as there was talk about iOS 7.

You're crazy if you don't like iOS7 😍

? Three Ferg Hunna (@blayne_ferguson)

If I got a dollar for every time I heard someone talk or tweet about the iOS7 update today.. 💰💰💰

? Megan Schneider (@meganschneids15)

I've been on my phone nonstop since I got the iOS7

? Hayley Kuhn (@HayleyCoon)

I promised myself I wouldn't tweet about iOS7.....but it's too dope to not tweet about its greatness

? Alex Belardi (@AlexBelardi)

If you're not obsessed with IOS7 you're obviously not human.

? Momma Long Legs♚ (@TayJoachimowski)

Just got iOS7 and I'm just like pic.twitter.com/MTdzypeoaM

? Amanda Haag (@everyday_manday)

My timeline right now:
iOS 7
GTA 5
iOS 7
iOS 7
GTA 5
iOS 7
iOS 7
and some hoe talkin bout she lonely

? ▲ Arrogant ▲ (@ArrogantCortez)

Even users without iPhones were excited about iOS 7, judging from over one hundred thousand downloads of this particular iOS 7 skin in Google Play. There are currently over 300 of these "apps" in Google Play library (although many are simply wallpapers and junkware pretending to be an app).

Andriods be like I got iOS 7 pic.twitter.com/bCPOL2biGX

? Justin hasn't (@JBfanSince09)

Android users looking at all these iOS7 tweets like pic.twitter.com/HYyZgEmqVZ

? anthony (@iSpeakComedy)

iOS 7 Appreciation

Cook Ive Federighi

The full scale redesign of iOS 7, led by Apple's chief executive Tim Cook, design guru Jony Ive, its software technology maven Craig Federighi and involving months of intense work by thousands of Apple employees, did not go unnoticed by youth on Instagram (where there were nearly 500,000 images tagged #ios7 yesterday afternoon), on Facebook and Twitter.

Instagram hashtag iOS7

if i could use one word to describe ios7 it would have to be Clean

? braedon (@BraedonFeehan)

Feels like I have a brand new phone with iOS 7👌

? Blake Bruner⚓ (@BlakeEBruner)

This is probably the coolest part of ios7 guys, photo streaming from phone to phone pic.twitter.com/hJGe4UDg7d

? Natalie Fuchs (@fuchsymama)

The best part of IOS7 is that it doesn't automatically open a message you're ignoring when you click on messages

? Shane Pullman (@pullman14)

IOS7 update is finally allowing my dream to come true, allowing me to finally block all my "Don't Answer" contacts.

? Alessandra DeMeo (@itsalliedemeo)

iOS7 apparently allows you to block people from calling or texting you thank you lord you have officially answered my prayers

? Chief Keef (@ChieeffKeefSosa)

Basically my reaction to everything on ios7 pic.twitter.com/2Y0pnYQk91

? Food♡ (@ImoncloudNiall)

How I feel about iOS7... pic.twitter.com/NNRCwY5MSj

? Dustin Tabor (@drtabor311)

Teens & iPhones

Youth's excitement surrounding iOS 7 might come as a surprise, given that in January a top headline making the rounds asked whether the iPhone was "no longer cool to teens?" After months of being broadly syndicated, largely without criticism, that headline now generates 189 million search results from Google.

All of those reports can be traced back to one source: Buzz Marketing Group, run by Tina Wells, who issued the report and was subsequently quoted by Fortune as saying "Teens are telling us Apple is done. Apple has done a great job of embracing Gen X and older [Millennials], but I don?t think they are connecting with Millennial kids [who are] all about Surface tablets/laptops and Galaxy."Apple maintained a significant edge over Samsung in smartphone ownership among youth 18-24, as well as being better represented among users 25-34.

Since January, however, Apple's iPhones subsequently outsold Samsung's higher end Galaxy phones, despite a series of flashy new product launches and aggressive smartphone discounting and promotion by Samsung. Meanwhile, the Surface turned out to a huge dud for Microsoft across all demographics, generating a write-off of nearly a billion dollars.

All mention of the "iPhone isn't cool" study, which was formerly prominently featured on the research firm's website, has since been removed.

A few months before the study was circulated among adults, pop icon Justin Bieber tweeted out an selfie captioned, "took this on my Iphone 5 the front camera is definitely clearer," generating 316,000 likes on Instagram, 45,950 retweets and over 27,000 favorites on Twitter from squealing fans.

Research based on surveys is notoriously biased by the questions users are asked, resulting in data that is clearly not accurate. Research based on demographics, rather than asking leading questions, arrives at different conclusions.

In August, report from Consumer Intelligence Research Partners looking at such demographics about smartphone ownership was largely reported as noting that more than twice as many Samsung owners were switching to iPhones rather than moving in the opposite direction. Samsung has more middle age users and significantly greater penetration among seniors 55-64.

It was also broadly reported, as Philip Elmer-Dewitt of the Fortune Apple 2.0 wrote, that the data "showed, not surprisingly, that Apple's customers tend to be richer and better educated than Samsung's."

Nearly 70 percent of iPhone users reported earning more than $50,000, while only 55 percent of Samsung's buyers did, and the number of users with a college degree, masters or doctorate were also much more likely to have an iPhone. This kind of data has also shown up in heat maps of users in affluent locations.

However, the data also showed that Apple maintained a significant edge over Samsung in smartphone ownership among youth 18-24, as well as being better represented among users 25-34. On the other hand, Samsung has more middle age users and significantly greater penetration among seniors 55-64, perhaps related to the oversized screens Samsung commonly uses.

Source: Consumer Intelligence Research Partners

Ironically, Samsung has tried for the last two years to advertise that iPhones are for old people. Last year, Samsung's TV ads portraying young users bumping phones to exchange playlists using NFC as bewildered older people waited in line for the iPhone 4S. The youngest person in line flashed his Galaxy S III and announced that he was just holding a place for his middle aged parents. A second ad campaign again presented befuddled, greying parents with iPhones as young people acted young and enthusiastically used proprietary Samsung features. Samsung has since taken the video spots off of YouTube.

iOS 7 is the update you can get

Google currently lists over a billion search results for "iOS 7," more than "Android 4.3," which launched back in July. A big part of that discrepancy is that nearly all existing iOS users can upgrade to iOS 7, while a very small percentage of the Android installed base can get the latest version of Android, thanks to the carriers and phone vendors (including Samsung) who don't see Google's updates as worth delivering to their customers.

Android versions Sept 2013

Source: Google

Currently, only 8.5 percent of Android users actively using Google Play even have last year's Android 4.2. In contrast, nine months after Apple released iOS 6, over 93 percent of the installed base had installed it. Another six percent were using iOS 5, released the same month as Android 4.0.

Apple expects a similar majority of its user base to upgrade to iOS 7, and has facilitated broad updates by making sure the new software can run even on iPhone 4, which was released three years ago in 2010. Few, if any, Android or Windows Phone models older than a year are ever eligible for major system updates.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 57
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    I love the part about 'they hated the wait', yet they managed to update the day it came out ....
  • Reply 2 of 57
    I love the part about 'they hated the wait', yet they managed to update the day it came out ....

LOL. And now I have been confirmed, again, why I don't use social media. Have you seen those usernames? I think mine is lame here, but...

• attagirlkylie
    • deezy
    • Momma Long Legs
    • everyday_manday
    • Justin hasn't
    • Arrogant
    • ChieeffKeefSosa

...and THAT is the last time I'll Samsung/Paste something from an article. The freaking 'Tag This Topic' popup is excruciating freaking annoying. What Freak implemented THAT?

• Reply 3 of 57
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Here's a cool site where you can get a sense of adoption rates. Already iOS 7 is around 25%.

https://mixpanel.com/trends/#report/ios_7/from_date:-2,to_date:0

Based on message board comments (especially on MacRumors) I expected I wasn't going to like it; that I was going to be telling myself I liked it more than I really did. But to my surprise I actually do like it. Of course it's not perfect and I don't love everything about it (I didn't with iOS 6 either). But after using it for a few hours I wondered what all the angst was about. Using it again this morning it seems completely natural to use and I don't really miss iOS 6. But maybe the reason I have less angst is I'm treating it as a version 1.0 product. It's a complete redesign in the span of 7 months or so and it's just the beginning. Also a lot of the issues people are complaining about seem to be easily fixable. And maybe we'll see some of the rough edges smoothed out in point updates. I do think the current team under Cook will be more responsive to feedback than Jobs and Forstall were.

One of my favorite things about iOS 7 is iTunes Radio. I used it for a couple hours last night and the song choices were great and I never had one repeat. On par with my Pandora experience and much better than the radio feature within Spotify. I can only imagine how good it will be once I've been using it longer and it's become acclimated to my tastes.
  • Reply 4 of 57
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member

Ah, DED. Cherry-picks tweets for his article and then complains about survey bias. Total lack of self awareness.

• Reply 5 of 57
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member
    Kids these days..

But some of this shit is actually pretty funny.neat to see what normal ppl think of ios7
  • Reply 6 of 57
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    Youth don't use Facebook. As soon as their parents started- they stopped. Twitter is headed that way- but still relevant. It's Instagram and vine mainly until their parents catch on to that. And snapchat of course. Oh, snapchat....
  • Reply 7 of 57
    The some ho is lonely tweet had me rolling
  • Reply 8 of 57
    Quote:

Originally Posted by RichL View Post

Ah, DED. Cherry-picks tweets for his article and then complains about survey bias. Total lack of self awareness.

This is an apple fan site. 

• Reply 9 of 57
    My 14-year-old came home from school yesterday, eager for me to get her phone updated for her because that's all everyone at school was talking about. Afterwards, she was, well, giddy as a schoolgirl.
  • Reply 10 of 57
    Looks like Cook, Federighi and Ive get the cover of Bloomberg/Businessweek. Apparently they take some shots at Android. The tech sites will be in heaven with all the extra clicks they'll get today. :D

http://www.businessweek.com/printer/articles/153204-apple-chiefs-discuss-strategy-market-share-and-the-new-iphones
  • Reply 11 of 57
    richl wrote: »

I missed the part where this 'article' is a 'survey'.
  • Reply 12 of 57
    My 14-year-old came home from school yesterday, eager for me to get her phone updated for her because that's all everyone at school was talking about. Afterwards, she was, well, giddy as a schoolgirl.

I was too yet my wife said she couldn't care less and no one at her office (real estate) even knew about it. So I am actually happy to be part of the 'young', if only 'at heart' :)
  • Reply 13 of 57
    rogifan wrote: »
    Here's a cool site where you can get a sense of adoption rates. Already iOS 7 is around 25%.

https://mixpanel.com/trends/#report/ios_7/from_date:-2,to_date:0

Based on message board comments (especially on MacRumors) I expected I wasn't going to like it; that I was going to be telling myself I liked it more than I really did. But to my surprise I actually do like it. Of course it's not perfect and I don't love everything about it (I didn't with iOS 6 either). But after using it for a few hours I wondered what all the angst was about. Using it again this morning it seems completely natural to use and I don't really miss iOS 6. But maybe the reason I have less angst is I'm treating it as a version 1.0 product. It's a complete redesign in the span of 7 months or so and it's just the beginning. Also a lot of the issues people are complaining about seem to be easily fixable. And maybe we'll see some of the rough edges smoothed out in point updates. I do think the current team under Cook will be more responsive to feedback than Jobs and Forstall were.

One of my favorite things about iOS 7 is iTunes Radio. I used it for a couple hours last night and the song choices were great and I never had one repeat. On par with my Pandora experience and much better than the radio feature within Spotify. I can only imagine how good it will be once I've been using it longer and it's become acclimated to my tastes.

Re last paragraph ... I have to think Pandora and Spotify will soon go through the following stages ... acceleration of bleeding finically / funding drying up... being bought out / taken over by a big fish wanting to compete with Apple Radio (aka as loss leader product) and gain a ready made client base.
  • Reply 14 of 57
    Re last paragraph ... I have to think Pandora and Spotify will soon go through the following stages ... acceleration of bleeding finically / funding drying up... being bought out / taken over by a big fish wanting to compete with Apple Radio (aka as loss leader product) and gain a ready made client base.
    I wish Apple could snatch up Spotify. I love it (other than the radio feature). But my guess is Apple will never go to a subscription model because of iTunes.
  • Reply 15 of 57

This is possibly due to the fact that teenagers are the only ones who have time to tweet or put up facebook status updates about the new iOS. I've got it and I enjoy it but given that I was at work while my phone was updating, I wasn't tweeting or facebooking about it. Just a thought.

• Reply 16 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

...and THAT is the last time I'll Samsung/Paste something from an article. The freaking 'Tag This Topic' popup is excruciating freaking annoying. What Freak implemented THAT?

I haven't seen this "feature" before in Android. Is it another one of Samsung's exclusive gimmicks?

• Reply 17 of 57
    I predicted this response after I showed an early beta to my friends 11 year old daughter.

Ive and co. know exactly what they are doing.

Time and time again, experts on the internet have dissed Apple only to be proved wrong again and again. I remember the criticism of the iPad when it was released, the jokes about it just being a 'big iPhone'. Since then iPad created a new product category and is killing the PC.
  • Reply 18 of 57
    d4njvrzf wrote: »
    I haven't seen this "feature" before in Android. Is it another one of Samsung's exclusive gimmicks?

Huddler Tech. The worst out there.
  • Reply 19 of 57
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I don't think you understand why Spotify exists. It's partly owned by the big music labels and exists to compete with iTunes at any financial cost. The big labels really hate that iTunes has such a strong grip over digital music sales. It's already a loss leader.

• Reply 20 of 57

Slightly OT:

The control centre transparency looks rather unattractive on the iPad 2. And the notification centre transparency isn't as colourful. 

Is the is due to the hardware limitations of the iPad 2?