Line grows at Apple's flagship Fifth Ave cube in anticipation of Friday launch of new iPhones

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
With less than 24 hours remaining before the launch of the newest iPhone models, more customers have begun to call the pavement with a view of Central Park their temporary home.

AppleInsider reader Ryan dropped by the Midtown Manhattan store on Thursday and captured some images of the scene along Fifth Avenue, where television stations have begun to arrive and customers are waiting to be among the first in North America to get their hands on an iPhone 5s or 5c. Analysts have predicted that Apple could sell up to 8 million of the new devices on launch weekend.

Lines first began to form at Apple's flagship Fifth Avenue store, covered by a giant glass cube, earlier this month, before the iPhone 5s and iPhone 5c were even officially announced. Camping out at the store for Apple's latest products has become something of a tradition among fanatics.

Despite investors' dissatisfaction with the pricing of the new lower-cost iPhone 5c and Apple's refusal to reveal preorder numbers, reviews of the handsets have been effusive and surveys show that demand remains high.

The iPhone 5s and 5c go on sale in Apple's retail stores at 8:00am local time Friday in Australia, Canada, China, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Japan, Puerto Rico, Singapore, the U.S. and U.K. Apple's online store will begin taking orders at 12:01 a.m. Pacific Time, and the phones can also be purchased from Apple's carrier partners.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 42
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

When do you think the phones ordered online at 12:01 AM will be delivered in the US?

• Reply 2 of 42
    Don't these people know that Samsung is making fun of them in commercials? I mean, THE INDIGNITY! Guess Samsung'll just have to remain jealous of the lines.
  • Reply 3 of 42
    But... but... but no one is going to wait on line for iPhones anymore. Nobody wants a smartphone with a TINY 4" display when all the high-end Android smartphones come with displays 4.7" and up. Heck, the iPhone 5c is just last years iPhone 5 dipped in plastic. Those people waiting on line could get two Samsung Galaxy S4s for the price of one iPhone 5s and enjoy Air Gestures. Most of the analysts say these new iPhones will be sales flops because their prices are too high for poor people. Why buy any iPhone when you can buy an Android smartphone for $50 OFF-CONTRACT. Apple is doomed.

/s
  • Reply 4 of 42
    Apple to Samsung: "you wish you have a line as long as me..." Now go and copy that!
  • Reply 5 of 42
    I'm thinking that these are all 5s folks. You could preorder a 5c online last week and have it delivered to your door tomorrow. Why stand in line?
  • Reply 6 of 42
    Originally Posted by zoffdino View Post
    Apple to Samsung: "you wish you have a line as long as me..." Now go and copy that!

Samsung certainly has enough employees that they can pay a few hundred to stand in a line for a day or two.

• Reply 7 of 42

Constable said:

But... but... but no one is going to wait on line for iPhones anymore. Nobody wants a smartphone with a TINY 4" display when all the high-end Android smartphones come with displays 4.7" and up. Heck, the iPhone 5c is just last years iPhone 5 dipped in plastic. Those people waiting on line could get two Samsung Galaxy S4s for the price of one iPhone 5s and enjoy Air Gestures. Most of the analysts say these new iPhones will be sales flops because their prices are too high for poor people. Why buy any iPhone when you can buy an Android smartphone for $50 OFF-CONTRACT. Apple is doomed.

You forget that Steve Jobs would have done it different and better.

• Reply 8 of 42
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member

So much for doubling down on secrecy!!!

Sorry- what's a thread without that though?

• Reply 9 of 42
    Originally Posted by Andysol View Post
    So much for doubling down on secrecy!!!

Sorry- what's a thread without that though?

Gotta double down on IGZO before the LiquidMetal iWatch comes out, otherwise Apple will be doomed.

• Reply 10 of 42
    I am travelling to France next monday so hopefully all the analysts and apple haters are right about the 5s is as bad as ever and sells poorly so that I can grab one for myself ;)
  • Reply 11 of 42

Sheep   /s

• Reply 12 of 42
    The line isn't that long honestly. This is just a slow news day for AI so they need to fill the headlines with something.
  • Reply 13 of 42
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post

The line isn't that long honestly. This is just a slow news day for AI so they need to fill the headlines with something.

Are you the president of the local Debbie Downer club or something? What a miserable life not being happy or satisfied with anything and finding fault with everything remotely positive.

• Reply 14 of 42
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Gotta double down on IGZO before the LiquidMetal iWatch comes out, otherwise Apple will be doomed unless Steve were in charge.

Fixed 

;)

• Reply 15 of 42
    Apple must be paying these people to stand in line.

No?

Ooops, sorry, that was Samsung.
  • Reply 16 of 42
    elmoofo wrote: »
    Don't these people know that Samsung is making fun of them in commercials? I mean, THE INDIGNITY! Guess Samsung'll just have to remain jealous of the lines.
    The envious try to turn the success of others to shame to bolster their own inadequacies. SamSlug is aware that Apple has made it impossible for the Slug of Slime to copy and that the move to lower priced junk has run its course to the pit of entrapment. Sour grapes is the meal of the Great Copier and disdain the nest it makes its bed.
  • Reply 17 of 42

Originally Posted by Bluestone View Post

You forget that Steve Jobs would have done it different and better.

Just imagine the hopelessness that must certainly be pervading Redmond, Washington.

If Ballmer were still alive, he would be extremely jealous.

• Reply 18 of 42
    adonissmu wrote: »
    lkrupp wrote: »
    Are you the president of the local Debbie Downer club or something? What a miserable life not being happy or satisfied with anything and finding fault with everything remotely positive.

Some dance on both sides. They think they are keeping intelligent Apple fellows 'faithful and honest'. Blah!
  • Reply 19 of 42

Shipping was 7-10 days when the Apple Store on-line reopened. I wonder how much stock is there at B&M?

• Reply 20 of 42
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

What a miserable life only being happy when only positive comments are made about your religious devotion to an electronics company.   Traditional religion is bad enough, but is this now where we're heading:   where we think of corporations as infallible and where they can't be criticized (if it's the religion we've chosen)?   Is there going to be a civil war within ten years between Apple and Samsung devotees?   Will they have to live in different neighborhoods?   Will they then eventually demand independence from each other?

The fact is that Adonis is completely correct.    It looks like about 30 people on line.    I've seen more people on line at fashion shops for teens when they have a flash sale.   That doesn't mean the new iPhones won't be successful -- I'm sure they'll be enormously successful, but it does mean that it's perfectly reasonable to state that a small group of sad looking, badly dressed morons who are waiting on line overnight for a phone that they could have ordered online is not a legitimate news story.   I'm no Samsung fan, but when they make fun of these idiots, I have to admit that they're a deserving target.   

And if you're interested in positive spin, the media has pretty much become anti-Apple, looking for any fault they can find.   My bet is that they use this small line as a negative story, not a positive one.     Today's NY Post has a cover story about the server problems at Apple, expressed with all the glee they would have if a Democrat got caught with their pants down.