NFC-free Google Wallet debuts on Apple's iPhone

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 38
    Quote:

Originally Posted by John.B View Post

PIN debit transactions give you almost no protection against fraudulent use, correct?  If so, they should be cheaper.

Don't know in the US, but a PIN transaction in the EU is specifically authorised for that amount either by the bank, or for Moneo/Proton/GeldKard style cards by the on-card chip, and so the merchant is fully guaranted to get that amount less the rate. Customer is protected by his PIN as long that one is secret. 3 errors in a row even on different terminals will lock the card. Transaction is final and cannot be overturned.

This is the best protection for both customer and merchant.

• Reply 22 of 38
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,594member
    sockrolid wrote: »
    And speaking of PayPal, are they looking into some kind of iWallet app or integration?

I think Paypal already has a "digital wallet" on both iOS and Android.

Edit: Yes
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/paypal/id283646709?mt=8
    and yes.
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.paypal.android.p2pmobile&hl=en
  • Reply 23 of 38
    jungmark wrote: »
    But but but ... NFC! C'mon Fandroids, even your employer doesn't think NFC has a future or can't force pioneering companies to accept it.

My last employer used it in our employee badges to control access to the building. NFC and RFID are everywhere and aren't going away anytime soon. Whether NFC is needed on a smartphone is certainly debatable though. I'd say that the vast majority of people with phones that have NFC capabilities have never used their phone in that way.
  • Reply 24 of 38

No way I would use any Google payment "service" - ever.

They would feed information on all my purchases into their databases and sell it to anybody who will pay for it. No thanks!

If the product is free, you are the product.  

• Reply 25 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by allenbf View Post

NFC is dead for sure now. Apple was correct in this just as they were about Flash. Amazing

The next iPhone will have NFC.

• Reply 26 of 38
    mhiklmhikl Posts: 471member
    Why do I now have to constantly log in on my iPad? :\
    Just more info grab from Goonal. Never! Is my motto, Goonberg.:no:
  • Reply 27 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pooch View Post

hey, when the canucks lost the cup a couple years ago we slipped alanis morissette back under the border as a consolation prize ... don't get greedy.

Yeah thanks.  Still suffering that one.

• Reply 28 of 38
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,927member
    droidftw wrote: »
    My last employer used it in our employee badges to control access to the building. NFC and RFID are everywhere and aren't going away anytime soon. Whether NFC is needed on a smartphone is certainly debatable though. I'd say that the vast majority of people with phones that have NFC capabilities have never used their phone in that way.

I did mean NFC on smart phones.

Haven't you said this for the last three years. NFC on phones is all but dead. Apple is moving on with other tech.
  • Reply 29 of 38
    poksipoksi Posts: 482member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Why? You're still using your credit card.

Because there is limitation to charges in % that retailer can bare. Consumers will want this new way of payment and credit card institutions will simply have to share the income to the companies that didn't have like 40 years and did almost nothing to improve their service as they had, but rather choose to cash in only few years of development. This is why.

• Reply 30 of 38
    Quote:

NFC is dead for sure now. Apple was correct in this just as they were about Flash. Amazing

Almost every store and shop I go into now days has the NFC capable point of sale systems. I will be sure to tell their manager that allenbf said this is dead and they should rip it off the counter.

That is too bad because I use NFC wallet everyday. I guess there is no room in this world for technology that does not come from Apple.

• Reply 31 of 38
    malta wrote: »
    Almost every store and shop I go into now days has the NFC capable point of sale systems. I will be sure to tell their manager that allenbf said this is dead and they should rip it off the counter.

That is too bad because I use NFC wallet everyday. I guess there is no room in this world for technology that does not come from Apple.

Oh there will still be a few players using it for a while yet. But when Apple, PayPal and others roll out BLE in full, it will be just like Flash.
  • Reply 32 of 38
    malta wrote: »

There is room. Just don't expect Apple to add them to cross them off a feature checklist.
  • Reply 33 of 38
    poksi wrote: »
    Because there is limitation to charges in % that retailer can bare. Consumers will want this new way of payment and credit card institutions will simply have to share the income to the companies that didn't have like 40 years and did almost nothing to improve their service as they had, but rather choose to cash in only few years of development. This is why.

Since when has there been a limitation? How long have credit cards been in use that there's now a limitation that a retailer can handle? Any app you use will still require a credit/debit card.
  • Reply 34 of 38
    jungmark wrote: »
    Haven't you said this for the last three years. NFC on phones is all but dead. Apple is moving on with other tech.

No but I've spent time dispelling the sour-grapes-based misconceptions here about NFC. I believe I've also said that Apple would use NFC eventually. Now I'm predicting that the next iPhone will have NFC. Between the uselessness of Passbook, which is begging for NFC payment capability, and the integration of a fingerprint scanner for security in the 5S, Apple has laid the foundation for implementing NFC in the next full redesign.
  • Reply 35 of 38

Google will abandon NFC...they dont need it, nobody really cared to use it. Google Wallet will compete in a way that PayPal didn't. You dont see PayPal partnering with retail stores to offer local delivery service right? It turns out you need Google Wallet for that...at least for the pilot program in the SF Bay Area known as Google Shopping Express.

From what I have seen so far, people are really really really using that service. The Target store I was at today had a ton of couriers waiting to pick up customer deliveries.

• Reply 36 of 38
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by lukefrench View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by John.B View Post

PIN debit transactions give you almost no protection against fraudulent use, correct?  If so, they should be cheaper.

Don't know in the US, but a PIN transaction in the EU is specifically authorised for that amount either by the bank, or for Moneo/Proton/GeldKard style cards by the on-card chip, and so the merchant is fully guaranted to get that amount less the rate. Customer is protected by his PIN as long that one is secret. 3 errors in a row even on different terminals will lock the card. Transaction is final and cannot be overturned.

This is the best protection for both customer and merchant.

If someone looking over your shoulder watches what PIN you entered and subsequently steals your wallet, they can empty your account without recourse.  That's why I don't use PIN transactions.  (And because I don't live in Europe, I don't have to.)

• Reply 37 of 38
    sirlance99sirlance99 Posts: 1,301member
    Quote:

I also just saw that Capital One has pulled out of Isis, the carrier's NFC platform. PayPal is using BLE beacons instead of NFC. Over.

Funny how it's not over now.

Quote:

Boy were you so wrong about this.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

But but but ... NFC! C'mon Fandroids, even your employer doesn't think NFC has a future or can't force pioneering companies to accept it.

NFC is the new hot thing right now. 

Quote:

Originally Posted by wakefinance View Post

Can I borrow your crystal ball since you knew this already and was right.

Quote:

Do you like being wrong. NFC is now on all phones including the new iPhones. Funny how wrong you were.

Quote:

Originally Posted by malta View Post

Now NFC is going to be all over the place. This is a great thing.

Quote:

Oh there will still be a few players using it for a while yet. But when Apple, PayPal and others roll out BLE in full, it will be just like Flash.

So, still waiting for BLE in full  while NFC is being used. Good job for being so wrong.

Quote:

There is room. Just don't expect Apple to add them to cross them off a feature checklist.

Once again, Apple made you look like a fool. Looks to be on the checklist now.

Quote:

Originally Posted by wakefinance View Post

No but I've spent time dispelling the sour-grapes-based misconceptions here about NFC. I believe I've also said that Apple would use NFC eventually. Now I'm predicting that the next iPhone will have NFC. Between the uselessness of Passbook, which is begging for NFC payment capability, and the integration of a fingerprint scanner for security in the 5S, Apple has laid the foundation for implementing NFC in the next full redesign.

Way to go with being right.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Curious G View Post

Google will abandon NFC...they dont need it, nobody really cared to use it. Google Wallet will compete in a way that PayPal didn't. You dont see PayPal partnering with retail stores to offer local delivery service right? It turns out you need Google Wallet for that...at least for the pilot program in the SF Bay Area known as Google Shopping Express.

From what I have seen so far, people are really really really using that service. The Target store I was at today had a ton of couriers waiting to pick up customer deliveries.

Wrong wrong wrong.

• Reply 38 of 38
    sirlance99 wrote: »
    Funny how it's not over now.

Boy were you so wrong about this.

NFC is the new hot thing right now. 

Can I borrow your crystal ball since you knew this already and was right.

Do you like being wrong. NFC is now on all phones including the new iPhones. Funny how wrong you were.

Now NFC is going to be all over the place. This is a great thing.

So, still waiting for BLE in full  while NFC is being used. Good job for being so wrong.

Once again, Apple made you look like a fool. Looks to be on the checklist now.

Way to go with being right.

Wrong wrong wrong.

Wow. Way to go back to a dead thread. I did admit to being wrong on another thread. Plus Apple's version of NFC isn't a feature checklist addition. You really need a hobby.