Apple's Control Center used to bypass iOS 7 passcode lock [u]

Comments

• Reply 21 of 53
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nitos30z View Post

Maybe if they came up with some kind of finger print scanner so I don't have to enter my passcode all the time, then I would turn it on image

Dude, let's stay with reality here and not wander into the realms of science fiction!

• Reply 22 of 53
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

It would help if the rumor sites didn't plaster them on the front page to get more page views.

No, no. You don't understand how this works.  IF no one talks about it, then no fix is made.  Those who know the exploit, will continue to use it unnoticed.  The way to prevent this is to do exactly what the media/Apple Insider/AllThingsD has done...Spread the word. 

• Reply 23 of 53
    Honestly....anyone wanting full protection and security should disable the control center from lock screen anyways as a thief could use it to turn on airplane mode and walk off without worry of "find my iPhone"

I've said it before and I'll say it again...apple should make have a feature that adds the ability to require a passcode to enter airplane mode and/shut of device so that we can keep find my iPhone useful.

Sure there is still the SIM card tray but at least they'd need time and the key to get to that.

Anyone who agrees with me should do what I have done and SUBMIT THIS REQUEST TO APPLE AS A FEATURE

Oh sh¡t, I didn't notice that. Apple should put pass code on airplane mode.. Or remove it from control center when you are in lock screen but not on home screen... This will disable the GPS for find my iPhone....

Sent from my iPhone
  • Reply 24 of 53
    Having control center on lock screen is kind of risky, A thief who steals an iphone, can quickly change the phone to aircraft mode and makes it undetected.
  • Reply 25 of 53
    maltzmaltz Posts: 453member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jkshankx View Post

Having control center on lock screen is kind of risky, A thief who steals an iphone, can quickly change the phone to aircraft mode and makes it undetected.

Yeah, but then what?  It's pretty useless in airport mode forever, and they can't wipe it or reactivate it without being connected to the net and entering your Apple ID credentials.  True, they have access to your data in the mean time, if the phone isn't locked, but that isn't what most thieves are after.  And if the phone is locked, once this bug is fixed, they won't even have that.  They'll just have a useless iPhone they can't take out of airport mode for risk of it wiping and locking itself.  lol

• Reply 26 of 53
    jungmark wrote: »
    Omg omg! Scandalous headline: Apple's iOS 7 leaves users vulnerable to authorized access!!!!!!!!!!

I see a 7.0.2 coming soon.
    iOS 8 coming ASAP
  • Reply 27 of 53
    Tried on a 4s, can get to the multitasking screen, but not into any of the mentioned apps, the bug might only be functional within a certain time period after locking the device.
  • Reply 28 of 53
    moxom wrote: »
    How the heck do people discover these sort of things?!?! o_O

No Job and too much time....
  • Reply 29 of 53
    castcore wrote: »
    No Job and too much time....

• Reply 30 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleBuggDalek View Post

Same here on my iPhone 4S

The first time I tried this I got through but subsequent attempts all failed. In fact, on my last couple of tries I couldn't even get to the multitasking tray. I doubt that IOS7 can learn to "heal" itself...or can it? ????

• Reply 31 of 53

There is no surprise that new iOS has bugs and problem. It always does. Hopefully, iOS 7 won't have as many of them as iOS 6 had. 

• Reply 32 of 53
    waybacmac wrote: »
    The first time I tried this I got through but subsequent attempts all failed. In fact, on my last couple of tries I couldn't even get to the multitasking tray. I doubt that IOS7 can learn to "heal" itself...or can it? ????
    Strange about the healing itself… the first time I opened the camera app, the flash option text would overlay over the HDR option text. Reminded me of a weird HTML reflow problem. Was going to document it and send it to apple, but when I reopened camera, it had fixed itself.
  • Reply 33 of 53
    Quote:

Originally Posted by CatherineM View Post

There is no surprise that new iOS has bugs and problem. It always does. Hopefully, iOS 7 won't have as many of them as iOS 6 had. 

That reminds me of a book I had back when I started as a programmer (several decades ago) about writing quality C code. The first sentence in the book read something like "When IBM releases its next version of its mainframe operating system it will contain 1,000 bugs. How do we know this? Because every release fixes all the bugs in the previous release."

As long as humans write software, as in every other endeavour, it will contain flaws. The right response is, where possible, to address them when they are found. That's generally easy in software at least ...
  • Reply 34 of 53
    I can't seem to do it.
  • Reply 35 of 53
    Nope. I got it now.
  • Reply 36 of 53
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Maltz View Post

I'm sure that works fine if you're not prone to losing things.  But it wouldn't work so great against theft/robbery.

It would once you get back to a computer and use "Find my iPhone", which you can then lock down.   I don't use a passcode on my iPhone5 either.  But if I bought a new phone with the fingerprint ID, I would use that.

Besides, what exactly would a thief do with my phone (aside from wiping and reselling it)?    They can make a lot of phone calls, but it's unlikely in the first few days before I shut the account down that they would exceed my limit.   They can use a lot of data, but I still have an unlimited plan.    They can send out mass emails (although that's a bit hard to do with a phone) using my email address, but people already do that without having my phone.   They can send out nasty emails to my address list, but people would immediately know it's not really me.   For most other posting sites, they would have to know my password.     For any e-commerce or banking sites, they would have to know my passwords.

So aside from the annoyance of having to pay full price to replace the phone, I don't see what the big security risk really is.       
  • Reply 37 of 53
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by KiltedGreen View Post

Because every release fixes all the bugs in the previous release."

If only that were true.   That wasn't true for IBM, it's not true for Microsoft and it's not true for Apple (or anyone else).   I think at one time, Windows was reputed to have 50,000 bugs in it.

Frankly, even though this bug was found pretty quickly, it's a pretty obscure bug.   I really don't know how it would become part of anyone's test scenarios.     So it doesn't really bother me.    But does bother me is when you have very obvious bugs that are found pretty quickly.    And when you have hundreds of postings on Apple's site about the same problem and Apple doesn't seem to address it, I find that problematic as well.   

Overall, I'd say Apple has done pretty well.     But we all know of bugs that have never been fixed.

• Reply 38 of 53
    ipenipen Posts: 410member

These sort of security problems come up all the time.  Best not to store any personal things on the phone.  I don't worry much if I lost my iphone or got stolen.  All the contacts are nick named.  No personal info at all.  All emails are for span  only.  Fake apple Id.  Fake FB acct.  Fake twitter acct.  Yeah, the thief can call the people on  my contact list and ask them about my name if he is dare to do that.  All sensitive info is encrypted and uploaded to icloud and deleted on the iphone.  I know, changing passwords and maybe setting up new accts will be a hassle if I really lose my iphone.

• Reply 39 of 53
    ipenipen Posts: 410member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Maltz View Post

Yeah, but then what?  It's pretty useless in airport mode forever, and they can't wipe it or reactivate it without being connected to the net and entering your Apple ID credentials.  True, they have access to your data in the mean time, if the phone isn't locked, but that isn't what most thieves are after.  And if the phone is locked, once this bug is fixed, they won't even have that.  They'll just have a useless iPhone they can't take out of airport mode for risk of it wiping and locking itself.  lol

Sell the parts, or send it back to China where it was made and ask the maker to reset it for a small fee.

• Reply 40 of 53

I just downloaded ios7 on my iphone4. What a piece of crap.  The text is very thin making it difficult to read for an older person.  Everything is more faint than ios6.  Now my phone is locked after 1 minute which is a damn nuisance!  Never had that problem before. Closing apps is less user friendly and more complex. I have passbook on one screen on its own.  So now my 3 screens is now 4 screens.  More swiping!  If it ain't broke why fix it!

Time to go smart Phone!