Day-one iOS 7.0.1 update for iPhone 5s & 5c patches launch bugs

Comments

• Reply 21 of 46
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BubbaSmith View Post

control center bug which allows access with passcode enabled.

I don't know, maybe they will leave this for a while to encourage people to switch to the fingerprint thing.  It's certainly an obscure, limited sort of thing and hardly a real threat.  It's not like the world will end or iPhones will lose their secure status if it isn't quashed with the very next update. 

• Reply 22 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaveMcM76 View Post

I also don't understand why you can't scale / move a photo you want to set as wallpaper when the parallax effect is turned on - it still prompts you to do it even though it won't let you and I had my iPad crash so badly it rebooted while trying to get an image to scale last night! I've since found out that if you turn on "Reduce Motion" (turn off the parallax effect) in the Accessibility settings then scaling / moving works perfectly but if you then turn it back off (parallax back on) it keeps your image but throws your scale / move changes away... 

The parallax effect relies on re-sizing the image larger than the current screen size, so it makes sense to me that re-sizing would be turned off when you are using parallax view.  If you installed a wallpaper and set it to parallax view for instance, and then as the last step re-sized it to fit the screen, it wouldn't actually have a parallax effect then, so stopping the user from making this mistake would seem essential.  

• Reply 23 of 46
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SimonMTL View Post

I'm disappointed, I thought it would be for all iPhones. I have a 4S and an iPad 3, and I do get regular crashes (goes back to white Apple logo and resets) throughout the day. OSXdaily had warned users not to upgrade until fixes were released, but I was way too excited to wait any longer - I can put up with it for a while, as the rest is just pure bliss, but it's annoying.

If you are getting white logo resets there is either something wrong with the hardware or you have a partial install or something.  Think about it.  If this was a typical bug in iOS 7, everyone would be getting the same thing because there are millions of folks on the same hardware.  

You should be thinking of what it is that makes yours different. Did you jailbreak it?  Are you using stolen apps?  Did you drop it at some point in the past?  Did you do a janky install?  

Wipe it and reinstall from the backup and it will probably work fine. 
  • Reply 24 of 46
    froodfrood Posts: 771member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Lars Pallesen View Post

You do realize that it's a personal choice in settings whether you want the Control Center to be accessible when the phone is locked, right?

It's a feature, not a bug image

The feature part of it is a feature.  The part where if you choose to use the feature someone malicious can get at your email and all the stuff you don't want them to get at is the bug part.

So its a feature- with a bug.  Having to disable the feature to not be exposed to the bug isn't really a good solution, no matter how much you love Apple.

That said, this bug like most cell phone bugs will get a lot of press from 'the other side' and will be fixed before it affects .001% of the user base.
  • Reply 25 of 46
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    I updated my 4s to iOS 7 minutes after it was available; love it!

Interestingly, I've had several friends and relatives say that they hate iOS 7. "Cartoony" is the most common comment and a couple people complained about having to relearn how to use the phone.

I haven't installed it yet, but I plan to. The appearance doesn't concern me much and the other advantages look attractive.
  • Reply 26 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by msalganik View Post

Haven't had any stability issues with either my 4S or my mini. The only thing I've noticed is cropping of custom wallpapers but that about it (turning of 3D effect help some but not completely). Otherwise really like iOS 7

The cropping of custom wallpapers is on purpose.  That's how the parallax thingie works.  

The only problems I've noticed is that it's noticeably slower overall (both on my iPhone 5 and especially on my iPad mini), and that selecting dynamic wallpapers almost always crashes the control panel but it still works even so.  

I'm anxious to get some real point upgrades though, not just bug fixes.  There are lots of parts where they have taken away or broken iOS 6 functionality that bother me and need to be fixed.  iOS 7 is definitely a 1.0 product.  I don't think we will see it being smooth, solid  and back to the usability level of iOS 6 until iOS 8 really.  

I'm also anxious to see the updates on all the iLife and iWork apps.  You know they have to be coming as the icons stick out like a sore thumb at the moment.  
  • Reply 27 of 46
    wingswings Posts: 261member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Urahara View Post

Dude, you don't know about this issue.

The bug is that some one can access without authorization to some applications like Mail and Photos. And Control Center is used as a gateway, even though there is a password set. (Features of Control Center are not an issue - you are right here. But access to other apps which are not part of Control Center - are a security bug).

I did a search for this and couldn't find anything. Mind pointing me to where this bug is documented?

• Reply 28 of 46
    It's no small update in file size - 1.39 GB downloading in iTunes at the moment to go on my new 5S.

I assume that means quite a few "bug fixes".
  • Reply 29 of 46
    iOS 7 is horrible on the iPhone 4. I have it on my 5, but I installed it on my wife's 4 and she has tons of bugs. She's due for an upgrade, but I'm going to hold off for a month or so to see if the S is all it's cracked up to be.
  • Reply 30 of 46
    Thank you, early adopters! Keep up the good work.  Maybe by Halloween iOS 7 will be ready for me to install on my iphone5 without too many spooky bugs.  :)

It's solid on the iPhone 5. I'd go for it.
  • Reply 31 of 46
    No issues with iOS7 on my iPhone 5. Can't say the same for my otherwise reliable iPad 2, which now runs and lags like some cheap Android phone. C'est la vie. 

My iPad 3 is a little laggy as well. Guess it's time for a space gray iPad mini with retina! ;-)
  • Reply 32 of 46
    jragosta wrote: »
    Interestingly, I've had several friends and relatives say that they hate iOS 7. "Cartoony" is the most common comment and a couple people complained about having to relearn how to use the phone.

I haven't installed it yet, but I plan to. The appearance doesn't concern me much and the other advantages look attractive.

I actually felt the same (cartoony) until using it. Now I get it.
  • Reply 33 of 46
    gazoobee wrote: »
    The parallax effect relies on re-sizing the image larger than the current screen size, so it makes sense to me that re-sizing would be turned off when you are using parallax view.  If you installed a wallpaper and set it to parallax view for instance, and then as the last step re-sized it to fit the screen, it wouldn't actually have a parallax effect then, so stopping the user from making this mistake would seem essential.  

I understand the reasoning behind it to a point but surely if wallpapers can't be scaled when parallax is enabled then the answer would be not to show the move / scale screen when setting the wallpaper as currently users are going to be sat there fighting with something that will never work to the point of frustration and a possible crash like I got. If I am setting a wallpaper and end up on a screen with a big label that says "move and scale image" then I'm going to try to move and scale it - especially after updating from an earlier iOS version where this worked perfectly.

The other option I can see is to allow the user move / scale the image with a restriction around the very edge so that the scaled image is saved with an extra area around the bit of the image that the user selected so the parallax effect will still work but be centered around the users selected area.
  • Reply 34 of 46
    Originally Posted by Urahara View Post

The bug is that some one can access without authorization to some applications like Mail and Photos.

And when I have it turned off; tell me how they magically get inside.

Originally Posted by grahamsmythe View Post

Has iOS7 been released yet? Blimey - Apple kept that quiet didn't they?

Two days ago. And no. :p

• Reply 35 of 46

iOS 7 crashed on my iPhone 4 the first night, I was playing around with everything really hard.  That had me worried because I thought it was going to be really unstable.  But since that first crash, I haven't had it crash even once again.

• Reply 36 of 46

I have just updated to iOS7 and I hate the change, the phone is too bright, too much white and causes strain on my eyes. Is there a way to keep old style design - like a custom skin with the darker back? Inverting the colors in Accessibility helps but it kills the pictures, I would like to keep the dark theme with normal color of the pictures.

• Reply 37 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gabberattack View Post

I have just updated to iOS7 and I hate the change, the phone is too bright, too much white and causes strain on my eyes. Is there a way to keep old style design - like a custom skin with the darker back? Inverting the colors in Accessibility helps but it kills the pictures, I would like to keep the dark theme with normal color of the pictures.

Just choose a darker wallpaper.

• Reply 38 of 46

It's more than just access to photos... I've actually been able to gain access to the full contact list.  Made a video of it here: 

• Reply 39 of 46

d

• Reply 40 of 46
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Change of any kind is hard.  I just personally don't mind a couple of the quirks and in a way some stuff being new makes it fun.

Little things like swipe left vs right in Text (but now more options) and the close background apps... 

having used both Android and iOS for a few years (Work vs Home) I was able to use them as reference for what the gestures might be that didn't work as I expected

I just feel like so far I like it more than I don't... and there's always folks that can complain no matter what... I like ATT.. some like Verizon.. etc.  always something wrong with either

On my 4s is actually feels faster with the smoother simpler design

may not be true for others, but for me it is