iPhone 5s shipping in 7-10 business days, gold model slips to October

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Demand for the iPhone 5s appears to be outstripping supply, as shipping times for the high-end iPhone have slipped to seven to ten business days at Apple's online store, while the gold model appears to be completely out of stock.

In Apple's online store, all models of the silver and space gray models of the iPhone 5s are listed with shipping times of between seven and ten business days. The shipping delay applies across AT&T, Sprint, Verizon, T-Mobile, and contract-free models.

The gold iPhone 5s variant, however, appears to be completely out of stock for the time being. Apple's store lists all configurations of all models of the device as available to ship in October. Apple has confirmed the sell-outs in a statement.

"Demand for the new iPhones has been incredible," an Apple representative told AllThingsD on Friday, "and we are currently sold out or have limited supply of certain iPhone 5s models in some stores.

After months of speculation, hype, and anticipation, the newest generation of Apple's bestselling smartphone debuted on Friday to massive crowds at physical retail locations and an equally enthusiastic response online. The apparent quick exhaustion of 5s supplies may stem from low production yields of the device, those possibly driven by difficulties in producing the Touch ID fingerprint sensor Apple built into it.

Supplies of the polycarbonate-backed iPhone 5c, however, appear to be greater. That device, which is essentially a slightly upgraded iPhone 5 in a new casing, is listed as shipping in one to three business days.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 50
    I think I'll wait until the first buyers comment on how the TouchID works for them. I dont want to see an AppleMaps fiasco.
  • Reply 2 of 50
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,523member

If only Apple could build them more quickly you'd see this launch trounce the iPhone 5 launch.

In terms of first week numbers I don't see how the top of the range iPhone will ever manage to go above 5-6 Million units. It's certainly not a lack of demand.

• Reply 3 of 50
    I'm glad I woke at 2:30 this morning here in the east coast. Nabbed two 5s' by 3:04 and tried to go back to sleep.

Interestingly, I first tried through Verizon's site and they started selling around 2:55 eastern. I gave up though because their ship date said 9/26 right off the bat.
  • Reply 4 of 50

OK, I admit it. I ordered a Gold iPhone 5S and my ship time was listed as October.

• Reply 5 of 50
    I wonder when they'll release it to the 2nd batch of countries, with NL always being in that 2nd batch. Last year they released it beginning October, shipping at the end of that month. That might be the same batch from the factories for the people ordering now but out of stock.

As I couldn't make it to Germany today (or Lille, FR for that matter) I'm too late anyway and hope to get one from that 2nd batch.
  • Reply 6 of 50
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,523member
    curious g wrote: »
    I think I'll wait until the first buyers comment on how the TouchID works for them. I dont want to see an AppleMaps fiasco.
    All of the reviews have agreed that the finger print reader is excellent, whereas last year they all panned the shit implementation of Apple maps.

So you should be good to go.
  • Reply 7 of 50

I feel like I had a "bait and Switch" done to me by Apple, so disingenuous.  When I ordered my Black 64 G iPhone 5s online through Apple it showed shipping in 1-3 days, however, when my confirmation email arrived from Apple it now shows 7-10 days.

This really tics me off as I stayed up until midnight to but in one of their First orders.  Don't fine Apple very Honest to be doing this!

• Reply 8 of 50
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Curious G View Post

Every tech writer that has tried it reports it works every time, reliably. Of course some poor sot with weird body chemistry, screwball skin issues, is going to report that it doesn't work for him. No matter what feature there will be those who don't get it, can't use it, don't want it, and they will start websites shouting their displeasure to the world. The Internet lets a minority pretend they are the majority.

• Reply 9 of 50
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by tome01 View Post

I feel like I had a "bait and Switch" done to me by Apple, so disingenuous.  When I ordered my Black 64 G iPhone 5s online through Apple it showed shipping in 1-3 days, however, when my confirmation email arrived from Apple it now shows 7-10 days.

This really tics me off as I stayed up until midnight to but in one of their First orders.  Don't fine Apple very Honest to be doing this!

Cancel your order, buy a Galaxy S4, and go away. Nobody has any sympathy for you.

• Reply 10 of 50
    lkrupp wrote: »
    Cancel your order, buy a Galaxy S4, and go away. Nobody has any sympathy for you.
    Lol! There is a finite moment where current stock is completely ordered, and the ship time jumps - he was just one of the unlucky few to place an order at that moment ... I guess it's better for people to be upset they have to wait to get their hands on your product than for there to be little demand and no complaints about wait time.
  • Reply 11 of 50
    Quote:

Originally Posted by tome01 View Post

No bait and switch.  Apple said shipping (they give it to FedEx) in 1-3 days.  Your letter shows delivers in 7-10 days which is about right for something coming from China via FedEx.  My experience has been arrival in 5 days after they ship. 

• Reply 12 of 50

Because when you purchase your iPhone, you are forced, at gunpoint, to use the fingerprint sensor until the iPhone dies of old age, otherwise your entire family will be killed.

• Reply 13 of 50
    tome01 wrote: »

The same exact thing happened to me.

But it is not a bait and switch.

What happens is at the time you placed the order for the phone as in… Selected the phone model you wanted...It was 1 to 3 days for shipping.

Then you going through all the other things… Cases… AppleCare… And other options to select.

By the time that you finished selecting those options all the sales for the gold iPhone you wanted have been completed for the first batch… Hence being changed 7 to 10 days.

So they were honest with you… It just so happens that by the time you finished… And I finished selecting our options and placing the order… They were sold out of 1-3 day shipping
  • Reply 14 of 50
    OK, I admit it. I ordered a Gold iPhone 5S and my ship time was listed as October.
    "Gold" iPhone is for tools.
  • Reply 15 of 50
    msuberly wrote: »
    Should buy this case: http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/02/22/this-solid-gold-iphone-case-costs-14k
  • Reply 16 of 50
    Quote:

I got 7-10 days ready to ship, just a few minutes after midnight.  64 Gold.  Expect to receive by Oct-10.  I was more disappointed by no local pickup available.  It is what it is.  At least it will be on next months CC bill.

Originally Posted by StephanJobs View Post

The same exact thing happened to me.

But it is not a bait and switch. 

• Reply 17 of 50
    msuberly wrote: »

"Gold iPhone 5s" may turn out to be the new "white iPhone 4." I hope not, though.
  • Reply 18 of 50
    Quote:

It's insanely fast. As in, under 600 milliseconds (many times ~400) for thumbprints. It's closer to 8 or 900 for other fingers, but always faster than typing in a password. It also is very effective. I got a Space Grey 64GB unlocked since they were all out of other colors.

• Reply 19 of 50
    Quote:

Originally Posted by BigBillyGoatGruff View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by msuberly View Post

"Gold iPhone 5s" may turn out to be the new "white iPhone 4." I hope not, though.

Basically, in person it's more of a gold hue, than actually gold colored. At some angles it looks indistinguishable from the silver. It's very fine, and very nice.

• Reply 20 of 50
    Quote:

Originally Posted by msuberly View Post

It takes one to know one. So I am sure you're spot on.