Tim Cook shows up at Palo Alto Apple Store for iPhone launch

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Apple customers waiting in line for the new iPhone at the company's Palo Alto retail location got a special treat on Friday: a visit from Apple Chief Executive Tim Cook.

image via CNBC

Cook showed up at the Palo Alto University Apple Store Friday morning to greet the Apple faithful as they queued to buy the new iPhone 5c and 5s. AppleInsider reader Ben reports that Cook "shook the hands of everyone in line and then went on his way."

AppleInsider reader Ben confirms that the gray-topped head pictured here is indeed that of Apple CEO Tim Cook.

Reportedly, the Palo Alto retail location had only 10 gold iPhone 5s units, and the Stanford location sold out of gold units by the 15th customer. That is in keeping with recent reports that show that unit in even scarcer supply than other models. Still, demand remains high for all 5s units, as AppleInsider has been informed that the Palo Alto location also sold out of silver models by the 35th customer.

The launch of a new iPhone has become a yearly media event marked by long customer lines and weeks of hype. Cook's appearance at the Palo Alto location is in keeping with a tradition of Apple executives showing up to product launches. In 2010, Apple co-founder Steve Jobs appeared at the Palo Alto Apple Store for the launch of the iPad, sporting his signature black turtleneck, a hoodie, and ripped jeans.

Additional reports have emerged that other Apple executives have been spotted at other Apple retail locations. Twitter user Salim Hafid (@sqreone) sighted Apple's Phil Schiller and Eddy Cue at the company's Stanford store on Friday.

image via @sqrone.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 28
    Well done Tim Cook!
    Any idea on how long the line was at Palo Alto store?
  • Reply 2 of 28
    Nice!!! Very good extra treat indeed!!!
  • Reply 3 of 28

See… “iC?nomy doesn’t work. Know why? Because there’s another ‘o’ in the word. That would imply both should be Apple logos, which is stupid. 

It’s almost as bad as “oPtion$”.

• Reply 4 of 28

Actually, Tim was trying to find a gold iPhone.

• Reply 5 of 28
    Quote:

AppleInsider reader Ben confirms that the gray-topped head pictured here is indeed that of Apple CEO Tim Cook.

As if, Tim Cook was convicted of some case or something and its like CCTV footage  -  our reporter Ben confirms that the gray-topped...

WTF?

Of course, he is Tim Cook

• Reply 6 of 28
    chandra69 wrote: »
    As if, Tim Cook was convicted of some case or something and its like CCTV footage  -  our reporter Ben confirms that the gray-topped...
    WTF?

Of course, he is Tim Cook

LOL. I think Ben must be the fool with the inability to take a proper photo. And don't give me the excuse he couldn't because he didn't have his new 5S yet.

Might as well say that Tim shouldn't even be there because he should be fixing the security bug..or the stock, right Ben? Right? Hello, Ben?
  • Reply 7 of 28
    Tim Cook is a legend.
  • Reply 8 of 28
    If I were the store manager, I would have handed Tim a Blue T Shirt and had him working inventory (or lack of it).
  • Reply 9 of 28
    If I were the store manager, I would have handed Tim a Blue T Shirt and had him working inventory (or lack of it).

• Reply 10 of 28

Should it be ?conomy?

• Reply 11 of 28

Surprised no one grabbed him and held him hostage for a gold iPhone.

• Reply 12 of 28
    Oracle is down ;-)
  • Reply 13 of 28

You're fired.
  • Reply 14 of 28
    "Surprised no one grabbed him and held him hostage for a gold iPhone."

You can be sure guys (big guys) with little funny things in there ears, suspiciously wearing a jacket (with one hand inside the opening) are very near by. Probably in the picture some where.
  • Reply 15 of 28

I have to say that is pretty cool, it's also nice to see them just enjoy what they have created and take a day off.

• Reply 16 of 28
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member
    An incredibly successful day for Apple and the new iPhones (the 5S anyway) and stocks are down again...bloody analysts!
  • Reply 17 of 28
    Quote:

Originally Posted by 1983 View Post

An incredibly successful day for Apple and the new iPhones (the 5S anyway) and stocks are down again...bloody analysts!

Well, Apple would have to sell 6.25 million iPhones during the opening weekend to equal the sales growth from the 4S to the 5. Watch the analysts go nuts for any figure below that.

Watch the analysts go absolutely insane if the number is below 5 million.
  • Reply 18 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by boeyc15 View Post

"Surprised no one grabbed him and held him hostage for a gold iPhone."

You can be sure guys (big guys) with little funny things in there ears, suspiciously wearing a jacket (with one hand inside the opening) are very near by. Probably in the picture some where.

LOL ... great point!

• Reply 19 of 28
    mhiklmhikl Posts: 471member
    Description please. Blow by blow. Thunderous applause me suspects. Prostrations of idolization! Fainting, joyous rapture, some levitation. One death by shock and amazement? DETAILS, please. :smokey:
  • Reply 20 of 28

Tim is on Twitter now! @tim_cook