iPhone 5s shipping in 7-10 business days, gold model slips to October

Comments

• Reply 21 of 50
    Quote:

Originally Posted by msuberly View Post

"Gold" iPhone is for tools.

I think they will be mainly for women, but I rarely worry about what anyone else thinks of my choices in life...

• Reply 22 of 50
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Smiles77 View Post

It's insanely fast. As in, under 600 milliseconds (many times ~400) for thumbprints. It's closer to 8 or 900 for other fingers, but always faster than typing in a password. It also is very effective. I got a Space Grey 64GB unlocked since they were all out of other colors.

That's been my experience as well.  I was actually shocked at how fast it reads the print and unlocks the phone.  I registered my wife's thumbprint and went to show her how to open it and very lightly touched my thumb to the sensor and it unlocked and opened immediately.

As for ordering, I placed an order at 12:01 with AT&T where it said 7-10 days.  I got the confirmation this morning at 8:45 from them which showed it with a delivery window of October 20 - 31st (WTF, AT&T?).  I called the local AT&T store and they had plenty of stock when I got there at 9:30 (at least of the 32's and 64's--only a few 16s left, but i was after a 32 anyway) but only in black.  Process only took about 35 minutes including waiting in line, canceling my earlier order, and doing a cross upgrade for the phone.  
  • Reply 23 of 50
    smiles77 wrote: »
    Basically, in person it's more of a gold hue, than actually gold colored. At some angles it looks indistinguishable from the silver. It's very fine, and very nice.

I haven't seen any of them in person, and I wasn't making a value judgement. I was referring to the repeated delays that plagued the launch of the white iPhone 4 for months after the black one launched.
  • Reply 24 of 50

Didn't wake up in the middle of the night to pre-order like a lunatic. Didn't camp out of the store or line up before they opened like a lunatic. 

Went to the kiosk at the mall during my lunch hour. Took 15 minutes. 

Why is this so hard for everyone else? 

• Reply 25 of 50
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,284member

From reports it looks like the 5s is outselling the 5c, at least in the US. So much for all those analysts who said the higher price model wouldn't sell. Now I see them backtracking and saying the 5c is doomed. Wait until we get real reports from countries who can only manage the cost of the 5c. They will sell just fine.

• Reply 26 of 50
    Quote:

Originally Posted by BigBillyGoatGruff View Post

I haven't seen any of them in person, and I wasn't making a value judgement. I was referring to the repeated delays that plagued the launch of the white iPhone 4 for months after the black one launched.

Gold anodization is among the easiest color to achieve, while having this white paint behind the glass of the 4 seemed to cause them problems. They can quickly readjust their casing production to match the unexpected demand for the gold model.

The CPU/Touch ID is probably more of the culprit than the gold casing.

• Reply 27 of 50
    Should have ordered from Apple.

Stayed up until 0300 hours. Placed my order with ATT at 0255 hours. Email this AM from ATT says "Shipping Oct 21-Oct 31st"!

Cancelled order, went to Apple.com at 1200 hours and Apple shipping October 7th. Still better than ATT 9 hours ago.

Apple must have greatly limited stock to its carriers.
  • Reply 28 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by msuberly View Post

"Gold" iPhone is for tools.

or people who want a 'gold' phone. Why do you insist on insulting someone for a color preference? Now THAT is a tool, right there!

• Reply 29 of 50

I ordered the Vader Black

• Reply 30 of 50

Apple execs said to be perplexed why color matters to people.  Since the perfect phone is one size and one color it's irrational people would want to deviate from that.

• Reply 31 of 50
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Smiles77 View Post

Basically, in person it's more of a gold hue, than actually gold colored. At some angles it looks indistinguishable from the silver. It's very fine, and very nice.

I agree...I think it is going to be  very popular. 

Maybe a gold 11" MBA is in the future.
  • Reply 32 of 50
    curious g wrote: »
    I think I'll wait until the first buyers comment on how the TouchID works for them. I dont want to see an AppleMaps fiasco.

Don't worry. You're safe, the guy responsible for the AppleMaps fiasco is now living in his car and dumpster diving behind McDonalds.
  • Reply 33 of 50
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Mac-Daddy View Post

Didn't wake up in the middle of the night to pre-order like a lunatic. Didn't camp out of the store or line up before they opened like a lunatic. 

Went to the kiosk at the mall during my lunch hour. Took 15 minutes. 

Why is this so hard for everyone else? 

i say you got lucky then, but its also the hype and reports of carriers not getting very many and so on. There was 200 or so people outside of our apple store, I ordered mine online because it makes sense for me, I will get it at work in probably a week and that's fine for me, versus calling att and apple seeing what they have in stock and all that.

• Reply 34 of 50

Numerous retailers around me still had plenty to sell as of an hour ago. For those on the hunt be sure to try retailers people fail to think of like Sams Club, etc.

• Reply 35 of 50
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,810member

Well count me in as one waiting for a gold iPhone 5s 64GB. I wanted a larger display but I can live with 4" one more year and all the other goodies on the update as well as the Apple quality, ecosystem, etc.. kept me loyal.

I was up at 3AM and needed to order from Sprint.com and not Apple since I have a special grandfathered plan that means I can't buy from Apple or any other 3rd party retailer and keep my plan since it is not in their system. I was finally was able to complete my order at 3:40AM my time. If I had known then I might be waiting for weeks or maybe even a month I would have just went with the space gray instead. Maybe I was a lucky one since I had to be among the very first to order from Sprint so I might get mine a lot sooner. 

• Reply 36 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Curious G

I think I'll wait until the first buyers comment on how the TouchID works for them. I dont want to see an AppleMaps fiasco.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/09/20/tech/mobile/iphone-dog-paw-print-ireport/index.html?hpt=hp_c3
  • Reply 37 of 50

I picked up a 64G Gray 5S this morning in Davis at the AT&T store.  The line was perhaps 80 people at opening.  They were handing out papers that represented the phones in stock.  They ran out of 16G at the front of the line - looks like they only had a few.  When they had given "reservation" sheets to everyone in the line there were still stacks of about 0.5 cm (32G) and 1.5 cm (64G) left for anyone who came later.  Probably more than 20 32G and more than 60 64G still available for those still not in line at 9 AM.  Interestingly, they appeared to only have gray color for the 5S - no silver or  gold at all!  They did not do reservations for 5C as they said they had "lots" of all colors and capacities.

I checked ordering last night just for interest.  At 12:02 it listed 1 - 3 days for all 64G colors. At 12:07 it listed 7-10 days for all colors (for AT&T)!

Print sensor works very poorly with my right thumb.  One in ten hits works!! I even did two separate scans for it.  For index finger works better, but still requires me to input a code about one in three opening attempts (that's three tries each attempt before it goes to the code input).  So far my experience does not mirror the pundits!

• Reply 38 of 50
    Originally Posted by punkndrublic View Post

I ordered the Vader Black

Neat image, but, uh, how? Since that’s the iPhone 5. :p

• Reply 39 of 50
    One more disappointment --- Extremely low inventory.
  • Reply 40 of 50

why can't apple provide supply for at least 8 to 10 millions for the first weekend ?  They knew it was 5 million last year and they knew the supply chain issue has frustrated customers and themselves.   Given so much time to plan ahead why it still end up with such short supply ?