• Reply 21 of 33
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    philboogie wrote: »
    Whoregle

... rhymes with Oracle
  • Reply 22 of 33
    Quote:

Originally Posted by GTR View Post

It integrates with your privacy, and allows you to be tracked.

Yeah because your cell carrier isn't tracking you either.

• Reply 23 of 33
    robmrobm Posts: 1,068member
    Yeah because your cell carrier isn't tracking you either.

Big difference, tho. Wouldn't you say Crusty ?
    My cell carrier isn't in the business of selling ads ....
  • Reply 24 of 33
    robm wrote: »
    Big difference, tho. Wouldn't you say Crusty ?
    My cell carrier isn't in the business of selling ads ....

Don't be so sure. Who's your carrier, ATT?
    http://adworks.att.com/mobile/

or maybe it's Verizon?
    http://business.verizonwireless.com/content/b2b/en/precision/precision-market-insights.html

in fact the carriers' have been monetizing your data for years now. Even hated Google doesn't sell customer data like the carriers do.
    http://money.cnn.com/2011/11/01/technology/verizon_att_sprint_tmobile_privacy/index.htm
  • Reply 25 of 33
    Nah - I'm in NZ.:D
    On ye olde vowdafone - they prefer to charge exorbitant monthly fees rather than to monetize through the use of third parties.
  • Reply 26 of 33
    robm wrote: »
    Nah - I'm in NZ.:D
    On ye olde vowdafone - they prefer to charge exorbitant monthly fees rather than to monetize through the use of third parties.

Don't worry, you're not being left out. Even in NZ you have value ;)
    http://www.businessinsider.com/vodafone-o2-and-ee-sell-customers-data-to-banks-2013-6

IMO you're better off if Google has your personal info. At least you know where it is. With the carrier's you can't be sure who they sold it to nor what it was used for.
  • Reply 27 of 33
    lol - yea I know - The mongrels.
    But I take a great deal of strength in knowing that my value to the bank is evidenced by my account balance. :-)

edit: jeez, just about Americas Cup time. Gotta go.
  • Reply 28 of 33
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    I've always found this stance of 'somebody else probably tracks you so you should just let Google do it as well' rather amusing.

Not only is that not the point, but it indicates seem kind of fatalistic acceptance that I cannot tolerate.

I don't care if it's a search engine company, a cell carrier, the NSA, or Gatorguy's mother that wants to track me. I do not want it happening unless I give them express permission.

And considering how many times Google's been caught with their hand in the cookie jar, let's just say they have an awful lot of work to do before I accept ANYTHING from them in the near future.

[B]Send a clear message to Google.[/B]

[B]Withdraw from using as many of their services as possible, and delete their apps off your devices, until they begin to show us a little goddamn decency and respect.[/B]
  • Reply 29 of 33
    gatorguy wrote: »
    IMO you're better off if Google has your personal info. At least you know where it is.

What kind of STUPID statement is THIS?
  • Reply 30 of 33
    Quote:

Originally Posted by GTR View Post

I've always found this stance of 'somebody else probably tracks you so you should just let Google do it as well' rather amusing.

Not only is that not the point, but it indicates seem kind of fatalistic acceptance that I cannot tolerate.

I don't care if it's a search engine company, a cell carrier, the NSA, or Gatorguy's mother that wants to track me. I do not want it happening unless I give them express permission.

And considering how many times Google's been caught with their hand in the cookie jar, let's just say they have an awful lot of work to do before I accept ANYTHING from them in the near future.

Send a clear message to Google.

Withdraw from using as many of their services as possible, and delete their apps off your devices, until they begin to show us a little goddamn decency and respect.

I wonder how the Find My IPhone feature works...

And good luck asking the NSA not to track you, LOL.

• Reply 31 of 33
    gtr wrote: »
    gatorguy wrote: »
    IMO you're better off if Google has your personal info. At least you know where it is.

What kind of STUPID statement is THIS?

That similar to Schmidt's'
    "If you don't want anyone to know what you're doing, maybe you shouldn't be doing it in the first place"
  • Reply 32 of 33
    I wonder how the Find My IPhone feature works...

And good luck asking the NSA not to track you, LOL.

You didn't address a single point in my post.

Please feel free to re-read it at your leisure.
  • Reply 33 of 33
    gtr wrote: »
    Send a clear message to Google.

Withdraw from using as many of their services as possible, and delete their apps off your devices, until they begin to show us a little goddamn decency and respect.

I only use Street View, when need be. And that is only at work. And I don't work a lot.

So, no, I don't use Google much. Maybe I should, as payback, since they sure as hell have been using me.

Ha! A new sig!