Apple's iPhone 5s and 5c draw massive crowds on launch day

Comments

• Reply 21 of 41
    Hi, I'm Rob Enderle, the best analyst there is. Judging from what I am seeing here, I will have to downgrade Apple stock to 'junk' status. This is not what I expected. You see, even though lines are around the block, I expected them to go around the block...twice. Thus, my decision.
  • Reply 22 of 41
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

The iPad mini is too big. The screen is too bad. It is much slower compared to new iPhones. The feature phone is too stupid.

A bigger iPhone would be perfect. Will be perfect.

Clearly you are paid by Samsung! Apple knows better what is good for you! /s

• Reply 23 of 41

Didn't wake up in the middle of the night to pre-order like a lunatic. Didn't camp out of the store or line up before they opened like a lunatic. 

Went to the kiosk at the mall during my lunch hour. Took 15 minutes. 

Why is this so hard for everyone else? 

• Reply 24 of 41
    mac-daddy wrote: »
    Didn't wake up in the middle of the night to pre-order like a lunatic. Didn't camp out of the store or line up before they opened like a lunatic. 

Went to the kiosk at the mall during my lunch hour. Took 15 minutes. 

Why is this so hard for everyone else? 

Glee...or luck, that's the question.

Nah, kidding, but maybe you got a different model that 'everyone else' wanted. Or whatever, there's really no way of telling, even if you told which model you got.
  • Reply 25 of 41
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    pooch wrote: »
    yesireee. around the globe now constitutes manhattan and white plains (about 30 miles apart) and indianapolis, indiana, 700 miles to the west. but, yeah, around the globe.

Heading a bit west, 1/8 around the globe, there were about 200 people in line in Thousand Oaks, about 50 miles out of L.A.

As of 9:30 AM, they only have space gray left.

The plastic phones are very tasty, by the way. That pink is not pink, but a dense shade of coral, a bit darker than the 55 Chevy and other GM cars of that era. The blue is the same as Mercedes, Volvo and VW had during the 60s and 70s, but a lighter shade. VW called it Gulf Blue, a gorgeous color.

A lot of thought and good taste went into the colors. When you see iOS 7 running within those cases, you begin to appreciate how much these people care about detail. There are visual echoes everywhere. In the store displays, the background color on the iPad screens next to the plastic phones even match the case colors!

The care for detail reaches into the experience of retail.

Edit: I just talked to someone who had been about #140 at 8 AM.
    She's about to get in the store at 10 AM, and she has a ticket for a 5s.
  • Reply 26 of 41
    Quote:

The stores are beautiful.

People? No. Waiting hours in line. WTF? The Apple brand is much more than that. Just order it online or chose a decent hour to pick it up. Seriously...

Maybe it's me that never owned an iPhone. I will study hard, work hard, and save a few bucks from time to time to a nice, 4.5" to 5" iPhone.

Please.

Put it to rest already.

Go buy a junk phone instead ( As apple puts it ). Apple is giving you that chance.

Study hard, so you can do what you really want, not only to buy an iPhone.

Now, please, spare us this bigger screen thing, untill Apple actually does it  ( which i doubt ).

Why go to a stadium if you can sit at home and watch a concert on youTube?

- Not much fun, sitting on the couch.

I´ll never do it, i do not like crowds.

• Reply 27 of 41
    Quote:

Originally Posted by NelsonX View Post

Clearly you are paid by Samsung! Apple knows better what is good for you! /s

Here in Portugal, that is the mentality, the Microsoft way of doing things is the dogma.

Now, Microsoft here is replaced by Samsung.

• Reply 28 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Glee...or luck, that's the question.

Nah, kidding, but maybe you got a different model that 'everyone else' wanted. Or whatever, there's really no way of telling, even if you told which model you got.

Ha, 32 gb "Space Gray" 5s. It probably was luck. 

• Reply 29 of 41
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    Why is it not reported yet that only the apple stores have the silver or gold 5S? It might just be Dallas- but I've called dozens of best buys, targets, and ATT stores. All only got shipped gray
  • Reply 30 of 41
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Ochyming View Post

Quote:

The stores are beautiful.

People? No. Waiting hours in line. WTF? The Apple brand is much more than that. Just order it online or chose a decent hour to pick it up. Seriously...

Maybe it's me that never owned an iPhone. I will study hard, work hard, and save a few bucks from time to time to a nice, 4.5" to 5" iPhone.

Please.

Put it to rest already.

Go buy a junk phone instead ( As apple puts it ). Apple is giving you that chance.

Study hard, so you can do what you really want, not only to buy an iPhone.

Now, please, spare us this bigger screen thing, untill Apple actually does it  ( which i doubt ).

Why go to a stadium if you can sit at home and watch a concert on youTube?

- Not much fun, sitting on the couch.

I´ll never do it, i do not like crowds.

Depeche Mode would be worth the thousands of ignorant, stupid and ugly people i would have to see to get there.

Besides, this is a totally different thing. This isn't a keynote presentation.

And I hate Samsung and Microsoft, but I like Google a lot, despite liking Apple much more, as I state a million times.

It's just unless you use an iPhone as a Nokia 3310, you can clearly see the benefits of a bigger screen.

I'm just asking for another iPhone line.

Don't worry, they will do it. But don't be ignorant or in denial about the subject of discussion.

• Reply 31 of 41
    Quote:

Depeche Mode would be worth the thousands of ignorant, stupid and ugly people i would have to see to get there.

Besides, this is a totally different thing. This isn't a keynote presentation.

And I hate Samsung and Microsoft, but I like Google a lot, despite liking Apple much more, as I state a million times.

It's just unless you use an iPhone as a Nokia 3310, you can clearly see the benefits of a bigger screen.

I'm just asking for another iPhone line.

Don't worry, they will do it. But don't be ignorant or in denial about the subject of discussion.

You are forgeting this - what is fun for you and me may not be fun for others.

I said i doubt it.

And i doubt Apple will listen, unless you write a letter explaining why.

Apple used to shoulder ( get inspired ) itself with most of the now defunct european car makers ( who went kaput, because they betrayed their core ). That is why i cannot see them bowing to the ´new normal´.

• Reply 32 of 41
    OTOH, I arrived at my local Verizon Wireless store at 7:30 a.m. and walked out at 8:15 with a new 5s (doors opened at 7:55).

Probably 20 customers in line at opening and nearly that many customer service reps. They were well trained and quick/efficient.

No gold 5s phones at this Verizon store but plenty of white and gray phones, all memory sizes.
  • Reply 33 of 41
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member
    The 5S seemed to draw the massive crowds, not the 5C. Not so sure the latter model is doing very well.
  • Reply 34 of 41
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Felix01 View Post

OTOH, I arrived at my local Verizon Wireless store at 7:30 a.m. and walked out at 8:15 with a new 5s (doors opened at 7:55).

Yup. I live in a city that's big enough to get a decent allocation (and an Apple Store), but small enough that you can just queue up for 5 mins on launch day and get what you want. Middle sized cities are the win for Apple fans.

• Reply 35 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by reydn View Post

People want their iPhones TODAY, right NOW! I wouldn't ever wait in line but I can understand their desire for the latest and greatest iPhone (that happens to have a built-in motion tracking chip for health monitoring, a very functional fingerprint sensor, an awesome camera, and a new processor that is years ahead of its time)

Yes, great new features, but there's also no 802.11ac WiFi and LTE-A support in either of the new iPhones, important future-proofing features already available in the flagship models of Apple's competitors. A major oversight on Apple's part I think. And something that's put a bit of a damper on my enthusiasm for the 5S I'm afraid.

• Reply 35 of 41
    Quote:

Originally Posted by 1983 View Post

The 5S seemed to draw the massive crowds, not the 5C. Not so sure the latter model is doing very well.

It has now been available for more than a week online, so it's not surprising that the lines would be shorter for the 5C.

• Reply 37 of 41
    Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

It has now been available for more than a week online, so it's not surprising that the lines would be shorter for the 5C.

Yes, you've got a point there.

• Reply 38 of 41

Looks like the S does not only stand for "Same", but also for SAMSUNG, the maker of iPhone 5S' A7 chip.

Well played... Mr. JK Shin... well played!

• Reply 39 of 41
    heliahelia Posts: 170member

I hate it :( Have to wait a month to get my hands on my 32g 5S gold :(

• Reply 40 of 41
    helia wrote: »
    I hate it :( Have to wait a month to get my hands on my 32g 5S gold :(

Does that mean I have to wait two months to get the 64GB model¿