Apple TV version 6.0 adds iTunes Radio, iCloud AirPlay support

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Apple released its anticipated software update to Apple TV today, adding support for iTunes Radio and AirPlaying content from iCloud ? like music from iTunes Match ??to another person's Apple TV.

Apple TV

The new software arrives just a couple of days later than it was rumored to appear. But those reports did correctly reveal that Apple was planning to update the AirPlay wireless streaming functionality of its set-top box.

The new AirPlay over iCloud functionality allows users to take any purchased iTunes content ? such as music, movies or TV episodes ? and stream it directly to an Apple TV that may not be configured with their iTunes login credentials. The authentication is instead provided wirelessly by a connected iOS device, like an iPhone or iPad.

Apple TV 6.0 also adds access to purchases from the iTunes Music Store, and allows users to sync their podcasts. Photos from a shared Photo Stream can also be accessed.

Finally, the latest Apple TV software brings the newly launched iTunes Radio service, which is similar to established streaming Internet music provider Pandora. iTunes Radio debuted on Wednesday on the iPhone, iPad and iPod touch with the release of iOS 7.

The new Apple TV update may be the last software refresh before the company's rumored Apple TV hardware reboot. The company took delivery of a mysterious shipment of "set top boxes" in the days leading up the iPhone 5s and 5c announcement.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 91
    1) That's it; I'm getting two friends of mine an AppleTV.

2) The article might want to reflect that iTunes Radio is a US-only service, as AI has quite a few international readers.
  • Reply 2 of 91
    iCloud airplay?

I think I know what that means....
    Oh wait...no ....no I don't.

I have movies in iCloud that I can AirPlay?

But them again I could skin that car before right?

[b] never mind I read it slowly-er and done understood it mo beddar

Lol
  • Reply 3 of 91
    ilove =)
  • Reply 4 of 91
    i6
  • Reply 5 of 91

Annnnnnnd...It's Bricked. Thanks a lot, Apple. Now I have to go dig out a microUSB cable (Which as an Apple user I don't have a lot of) to try and fix the damn thing.

Edit: Nope. Still busted. Well this is just GREAT.

• Reply 6 of 91
    tylerk36tylerk36 Posts: 1,037member

Whoa whoa whoa.  This is too much and way over rated.  Why would some one want to have such a device.  Actually watching programing for free?  Who ever thought o such a stupid idea?

On the other hand I love my Apple TV.  It is really awesome.

• Reply 7 of 91
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jensonb View Post

Annnnnnnd...It's Bricked. Thanks a lot, Apple. Now I have to go dig out a microUSB cable (Which as an Apple user I don't have a lot of) to try and fix the damn thing.

ROFLMAO. Technology just craps on some people. Maybe it's your karma or the way you smell.

• Reply 8 of 91

Mine's bricked too. Any thoughts from anyone?

• Reply 9 of 91
    Jensonb - probably not bricked. The install step 1 part of the process takes absolutely forever. Sloooow motion on the progress bar.
  • Reply 10 of 91
    My second generation Apple TV bricked and cannot be restored even in iTunes (v11.1) via USB cable, errors out with a 1602 error. My third generation Apple TV had no problems. Apple Support (800-SOS-APPL) was little help, all they could do was to make a Genius Bar appointment for me. Anyone updating with second generation should use caution.
  • Reply 11 of 91

I get a screen image that asks to connect a mini-USB-to-USB connection to iTunes. (3rd gen @TV).

Ugh. Who has one of those? What TF is up with that!?

Update: I found the cable, connected it to my laptop, opened iTunes, nothing.... can anyone help?

• Reply 12 of 91
    Imagine if the Apple TV hardware had a current gen chip, like the A7. It would make next gen console wars much more interesting.
  • Reply 13 of 91
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    ronnie t wrote: »
    Mine's bricked too. Any thoughts from anyone?

I think I will wait for awhile before trying it.:p
  • Reply 14 of 91
    Great, this (slooooooooooooow) update just rendered my Apple TV (3rd gen.) useless and since no micro USB is shipped with the box I'm forced to switch my guests to enjoy some movies on my xbox' DVD drive...

Best of all most of these new features are limited to the US only...

Let's hope that a reset with the soon to be bought micro-usb-cable will set things back to normal...
  • Reply 15 of 91
    Quote:

Originally Posted by xenon8000 View Post

Let's hope that a reset with the soon to be bought micro-usb-cable will set things back to normal...

If you figured out how to do that reset, please post. Thanks. (There is some info provided in the Apple Support Communities, but fairly useless thus far).

• Reply 16 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jensonb View Post

Edit: Nope. Still busted. Well this is just GREAT.

Did you try a downgrade?

• Reply 17 of 91
    If you figured out how to do that reset, please post. Thanks. (There is some info provided in the Apple Support Communities, but fairly useless thus far).

1. Plug the micro-usb into the AppleTV
    2. Plug the power cord into the AppleTV
    3. iTunes will mount the device and you'll see it under Devices like a CD or iPhone.
    4. Select it and the Summary tab will offer one option - Restore
    5. Accept License Agreement and wait for the download and restore.

Edit http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4367?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US explains it better cause it covers all gens. Gen1 was power before usb cable I think.
  • Reply 18 of 91
    Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

1. Download an older software version, e.g. from http://www.ipswdownloader.com/download-apple-tv-ipsw-files.php onto your mac.

2. connect the AppleTV with the microUSB cable to your Mac.

3. Wait until the AppleTV shows up in iTunes

4. Restore manually using the downloaded software.

5. Reboot.

There might be a specific order regarding power, I think it was first the USB then the power, but it could be the other way round as well

• Reply 19 of 91
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member

"The new AirPlay over iCloud functionality allows users to take any purchased iTunes content ? such as music, movies or TV episodes ? and stream it directly to an Apple TV that may not be configured with their iTunes login credentials. The authentication is instead provided wirelessly by a connected iOS device, like an iPhone or iPad."

Has this been tested, or documented?

This is not how the AppleTV update describes Airplay from iCloud, at all.

The way this actually works, is when you're watching an iTunes purchase on an iOS device, and choose to AirPlay it to your AppleTV, instead of the traditional behavior, it can (optionally) continue streaming that content from iTunes in Cloud, instead of relying on AirPlay.

Its like AirPlay to initiate, but iTunes in the Cloud streaming from there. There are settings for whether this happens automatically, or never.

• Reply 20 of 91

I am surprised it has the "old" icons, except for the iCould pics (and probably iRadio which I don't have here in Germany. Yet).