Apple TV version 6.0 adds iTunes Radio, iCloud AirPlay support

Comments

• Reply 21 of 91

Both of my 3rd gens bricked.  So far, recovery from iTunes isn't working.  Won't even detect it!  Device manager does, and the driver loaded properly.  Uninstalled everything made by Apple, and reinstalled--still nothing.  >:-(

Looks like a trip to the Apple Store is in order.

• Reply 22 of 91

Wow, they really appear to have screwed this one up. Wonder when they'll pull it.

• Reply 23 of 91
    3rd gen here bricked!
  • Reply 24 of 91
    Buggy. I use an apple AirPort Extreme and use a hidden network. Connection keeps dropping. Unhide the network and all is good!
  • Reply 25 of 91
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

... Apple TV 6.0 also adds access to purchases from the iTunes Music Store, and allows users to sync their podcasts. ...

This is probably just poorly worded on AppleInsiders part as usual, but the current Apple TV software already does this.  

• Reply 26 of 91
    hagarhagar Posts: 130member

Same problem here: it bricked my 2nd generation ATV. Restoring via iTunes does not work either. And there’s no Genius bar in my country. Great stuff Apple.

• Reply 27 of 91
    The restore is in progress on one of my boxes. The Win8 PC won't even "see" it. Plugged into my wife's Win7 Pro laptop and the Apple TV was detected, installed, and "seen". iTunes immediately detected it needed a restore and started the process. Still waiting on it to finish. Crossing my fingers!!
  • Reply 28 of 91
    This is very odd. I had no issue updating my 3rd generation ATV. It was a little slow during the "Preparing Update" but it was fine.
  • Reply 29 of 91
    noahjnoahj Posts: 4,503member
    https://discussions.apple.com/community/appletv/appletv?view=discussions

This is definitely a widespread issue. People all over are having failures. I would recommend waiting unless you have a micro USB cable in case of issues....

Not a good release it seems... :no:
  • Reply 30 of 91
    christophb wrote: »
    If you figured out how to do that reset, please post. Thanks. (There is some info provided in the Apple Support Communities, but fairly useless thus far).

1. Plug the micro-usb into the AppleTV
    2. Plug the power cord into the AppleTV
    3. iTunes will mount the device and you'll see it under Devices like a CD or iPhone.
    4. Select it and the Summary tab will offer one option - Restore
    5. Accept License Agreement and wait for the download and restore.

Edit http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4367?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US explains it better cause it covers all gens. Gen1 was power before usb cable I think.

Followed instructions to a 'T'. Multiple times. The appletv does not show up under devices. Quite frustrating!
  • Reply 31 of 91
    noahj wrote: »
    https://discussions.apple.com/community/appletv/appletv?view=discussions

This is definitely a widespread issue. People all over are having failures. I would recommend waiting unless you have a micro USB cable in case of issues....

Not a good release it seems... :no:

Definitely not a good release. Atrocious, in fact. Fortunately I have a Gen2 in the basement that I rarely use, and hopefully, I can manage with that until Apple puts out some type of fix.
  • Reply 32 of 91

If you figured out how to do that reset, please post. Thanks. (There is some info provided in the Apple Support Communities, but fairly useless thus far).

1. Download an older software version, e.g. from http://www.ipswdownloader.com/download-apple-tv-ipsw-files.php onto your mac.
    2. connect the AppleTV with the microUSB cable to your Mac.
    3. Wait until the AppleTV shows up in iTunes
    4. Restore manually using the downloaded software.
    5. Reboot.

There might be a specific order regarding power, I think it was first the USB then the power, but it could be the other way round as well

Thanks. I'll try this. But I am not holding out much hope. :-/
  • Reply 33 of 91
    Got one restored and updated (via the restore). Working on the other one now.
  • Reply 34 of 91

Upgraded my third gen no problem. Took awhile to complete but it works fine. I always use a wired network connection to it however.

• Reply 35 of 91

In case anyone was wondering (and this was about the only thing I was hoping for), there is still no auto-play or post-play feature for Netflix.

• Reply 36 of 91

No issues whatsoever, updated 2nd ATV with no problems.

• Reply 37 of 91
    Both are restored via PC and USB cable! Whew!!
  • Reply 38 of 91
    I upgraded my 3gen ATV without any problems, took a long time, but no issues whatsovever. I live in Norway, are logged in with my US account, and to my surprise iTunes Radio works great :-)
  • Reply 39 of 91
    Anyone having trouble updating 2nd or 3rd gen Apple TV (bricked), follow this procedure to the letter:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5706?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

If you still get failed updates, try a different USB port (and/or Mac if possible) and BE PERSISTENT. Some Apple TV updates are very picky, I know not why. I had one 2nd gen that took quite a few attempts before it took. I know it's &%*&TGSU(T!!!
  • Reply 40 of 91
    My ATV 3rd Gen, also bricked. iTunes will not recognize it so I cannot reset it. Spoke with Apple Support and they will ship a new one. I have to send mine first. They will provide a box for it with shipping labels.

This BLOWS!