Adoption of Apple's iOS 7 at 32% after 48 hours, outpacing iOS 6

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Users from around the world are updating their devices to Apple's latest iOS 7, which was released on Wednesday, with nearly 32 percent of North American iOS web-based traffic coming from the new operating system.

iOS 7 Adoption

In an update to a report released earlier this week, ad network Chitika on Friday said that iOS 7 accounted for 31.7 percent of iOS traffic 48 hours after release, while iOS 6 took only 24.7 percent during its first two days of availability.

By comparison, it took approximately three days for the last iteration of iOS to cross the 30 percent mark when it debuted in 2012.

The data comes from Chitika Insights, which sampled millions of North American iOS-based online ad impressions from Sept. 18 to Sept. 19. A growth rate was extracted from the raw data and subsequently illustrated in the graph above.

Apple's iOS 7 represents one of the biggest changes to the company's mobile platform in years, with sweeping redesigns and backend enhancements tailored to take advantage of the iPhone 5s and future hardware. With a "flat" design and clever use of transparencies, Apple has created an OS that delivers a sense of depth while maintaining a clear, unobtrusive user interface.

App developers are also getting in on the iOS 7 action by releasing updates to their own titles, from redesigned icons to fully revamped UIs. In addition, some apps like Infinity Blade III, take advantage of the new 64-bit A7 SoC found in the iPhone 5s, which allows greater performance and increased efficiency.

Aside from third-party apps, a number of new features have been built into the core system, including peer-to-peer networking via AirDrop and usability tweaks like blocking calls, texts and FaceTime requests from individual numbers.

For more information on iOS 7's new feature set, visit AppleInsider ongoing iOS 7 Feature Focus series.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 171

Is whatever the newest version of Android is even at half that?

• Reply 2 of 171
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Off peak (7 A.M.) my download took 11 minutes over Fios wifi via my laptop, the rest went smoothly unattended.

With that sort of ease whyevernot?
  • Reply 3 of 171

Massive!

• Reply 4 of 171
    ...with nearly 32 percent of North American iOS web-based traffic coming from the new operating system.

What kind of useless info is that? How about global?

22% in first 24 hours, globally. That's more like it.

I wonder if Scott upgraded?
  • Reply 5 of 171
  • Reply 6 of 171
    While the media is full of Apple's good news, the management of BlackBerry released some grim news that they hope might get lost in the clutter of Apple background noise.

TORONTO (AP) -- BlackBerry says it will lay off 4,500 employees, or 40 percent of its global workforce, as it reports a nearly $1 billion second-quarter loss in a surprise early release of earnings results.
    The stock dropped 19 percent to $8.50 after reopening for trading. Shares had been halted pending the news.
    BlackBerry had been scheduled to release earnings next week. But the Canadian company said late Friday afternoon it expects a loss of about $950 million to $995 million for the quarter, including a massive inventory charge due to increasing market competition.

Yes, folks, it's true, for a $10 bill you can own a share of Blackberry stock and have enough change left over to buy a large Snicker™ candy bar. Eat the candy bar and wipe the chocolate off your face with the stock certificate.
  • Reply 7 of 171
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    MSM spin: ios users wary of upgrading. Only < 50% after two days

/s
  • Reply 8 of 171

Mixpanel counts apps, the other one web browser usage. Remember, 82% of all statistics are made up.
  • Reply 9 of 171
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

What kind of useless info is that? How about global?

22% in first 24 hours, globally. That's more like it.

I think he's part of the downturn in the 10-16 hour range. He tried and then couldn't take it, had to revert! 

:p

• Reply 10 of 171

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

...ad network Chitika on Friday said that iOS 7 accounted for 31.7 percent of iOS traffic 48 hours after release, while iOS 6 took only 24.7 percent during its first two days of availability.

All the more reason for developers to update their apps to iOS 7-and-later-only.

Apple has moved beyond the iPhone OS 1.0 -> iOS 6 era, and they're not looking back.

Developers can and will do the same.

• Reply 11 of 171
    philboogie wrote: »
    Mixpanel counts apps, the other one web browser usage. Remember, 82% of all statistics are made up.

If you want your stats to be taken seriously, always put a decimal. So in reality 82.3% of all statistics are made up.
  • Reply 12 of 171

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Does he still use iPhone? I'm assuming he can afford whatever phone he wants (including a new iPhone for the rest of his and his family's days).

Quote:

Originally Posted by iSteelers View Post

If you want your stats to be taken seriously, always put a decimal. So in reality 82.3% of all statistics are made up.

The interpretation of stats can certainly be repackaged in whatever form you like. For this type of thing I'd like to know more about methodology. At least then they could let the 'stats consumer' make their own interpretation. Of course, comparing data (like iOS 6 vs 7) from different years - while using the same methodology each year - allows us to make one confident conclusion: using 'x' methodology, the first-2-day adoption rate of iOS 7 tended to be greater than that of iOS 6.

• Reply 13 of 171
    philboogie wrote: »
    Remember, 82% of all statistics are made up.

Haha good one!
  • Reply 14 of 171
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Perhaps I just suck at reading line graphs but why does the first graph have dates on the x-axis? Did iOS 6 adoption suddenly take off on 9/18/2013?

• Reply 15 of 171
    Is whatever the newest version of Android is even at half that?
    Doubtful. I don't think Android ever comes close to these numbers Apple puts up
  • Reply 16 of 171
    mstone wrote: »
    Perhaps I just suck at reading line graphs but why does the first graph have dates on the x-axis? Did iOS 6 adoption suddenly take off on 9/18/2013?

Wow, that you can read that. Now, after a 2nd look I can, but I don't even bother anymore. These graphs are so 1982, it looks analogue in a digital world to me.
  • Reply 17 of 171
    512ke512ke Posts: 782member

And APPL is down 4.89 for the day on massively good news of its blowout sales on new phones and its fabulously successful new iOS.

• Reply 18 of 171

I'm sure most will upgrade and should to keep current BUT as it turns out, both my kids and I agree, that the new features are great but Jonny can STUFF the new look.  We don't like the flat icons at all, icon folders are one handed friendly, but now very few icons per page...  messaging is ugly, notes suck, keypads are ugly, my family is not happy and the kids flat out won't upgrade.

PLUS, Thanks for the nice accessory NAG screens!  Freaking Apple finally now supplies a nice 6ft charge cable at a reasonable $30?  So using non apple cables now gives stupid ass warning messages, dweebs.

• Reply 19 of 171

I should have added, this may be because I hate white backgrounds and distracting white borders around any display, so for me I'm super irritated with this glaring new work.

• Reply 20 of 171
    Originally Posted by RemE View Post

icon folders are one handed friendly, but now very few icons per page

I agree; way too much extra space around the folder. They could easily get 12 per page and still have plenty of “go back” space to touch.

…notes suck…

Preach it.

So using non apple cables now gives stupid ass warning messages, dweebs.

Will you similarly whine when your non-sanctioned cable destroys your iPhone and you have to buy a new one?