Adoption of Apple's iOS 7 at 32% after 48 hours, outpacing iOS 6

Comments

• Reply 41 of 171
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    drblank wrote: »
    Not even close.  Android 4.3 has about 0.1% after a little over a month.

4.2.2 has about 1% after about 7 months.

I think it takes Android at least a year or two to get even to 20%.  I think Kit Kat, if it's 64 bit, people will have to buy new phones, and that's going to take at least 6 months after Google announces it before Scamscum and others release their hardware to run 4.4.

It depends on if 4.4 will still run on 32 bit phones and it will still take 6 months before they start upgrading the models they released this year that have 4.2.2 on it.  It's just a mess.  These phone mfg don't upgrade their entire product line at the same time, nor do they drop older outdated OS hardware when they stop updating the OS.  Samsung STILL sells Gingerbread 2.3 phones that will never get updated past that unless Google spits out 2.4.  It's just a joke.

So, roughly, it will take Android 48 months to get to where Apple is in 48 hours.
  • Reply 42 of 171
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    sflocal wrote: »
    Very true.  This guy has some kind of angry "Get off my lawn" mentality.  Countless of people love the new iOS7, I had to adjust, didn't like at first but now I do, but hey... this guy thinks it's trash... so obviously it's all of US that have the problem, not him.
    What I don't get is if iOS is so horrible how did the 5S and 5C get such good reviews? Even the Verge, lately notorious for being in Google's pocket and hating Apple, gave the 5S an 8.8, higher than any other smartphone they reviewed this year. Honestly I have yet to come across a bad review. Yet we're supposed to believe iOS 7 sucks and is a failure. Sorry don't buy it.
  • Reply 43 of 171
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member
    They’ll split it. Have a 32-bit and 64-bit, just like Windows.

And then Android Kit Kat Ultimate, Android Kit Kat Enterprise, Android Kit Kat Home Premium, Android Kit Kat Basic… Oh, and Android Kit Kat Ultimate N, Android Kit Kat Enterprise N, Android Kit Kat Home Premium N, and Android Kit Kat Basic N for Europe where it will be made illegal for them to bundle in Chrome. :lol:

Give me a break, give me a break, just brake me off a piece of that Kit Kat bar and an iPhone 5S.
  • Reply 44 of 171

It's been an easy decision for me to upgrade iOS on release day for multiple upgrades now.  Apples beta test process seems to be good enough that any bugs there are tend to be utterly trivial.

For this upgrade, I've not seen any problems though.  I'm really happy with it.

The only thing I don't like is the "click to return to call" message that appears at the top of the screen if you go into another screen when you're making a call.  The green then is awful!  That green seems to work OK in the icon, and in the "answer" button, but for some reason, when it's a thin bar at the top of the screen, it looks dreadful to me.

So, that's the problem I've found with iOS7.  A minor irritation with a color on a message that occurs periodically.  Big deal!

• Reply 45 of 171
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

So, roughly, it will take Android 48 months to get to where Apple is in 48 hours.

Apparently.

• Reply 46 of 171

I wonder how good the rest of the industry is doing in terms of sales.   I can hear the sucking sound out of their sales as I type...

• Reply 47 of 171

Well, yeah, why is this a surprise? It tells you there's a free update and asks you if you want to install it. It would be on my phone too, except i touched "NO" and ignored it.

• Reply 48 of 171

Google can't even count to 31 in 2 days. Ha.

• Reply 49 of 171
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    andysol wrote: »
    I don't have that problem, but I have noticed that texts don't time stamp anymore after the first one. That sucks. Outside of that tiny thing (and I liked the lines on notes before)- love it!

Inside the message, swipe to the left and hold. The time stamp will show from the right edge next to each text received and sent.
  • Reply 50 of 171

I like 7, but it needs an update to fix the momentary freezing in Mail and some other apps.

However, I'm not crazy about the new sound scheme sounds for appointments and stuff. It has a less distinct and a somehow more generic identity in my opinion. However I really hated the cartoon sounds of earlier iOS so I guess I like these sleek synth tones better... Still composing my own tones, so why do I bother typing about this again?.. sorry

• Reply 51 of 171

Ha, I'm not grumpy really, but I have strong opinions.  I upgraded like most will because there is a TON of great improvements.  My kid and most of her friends in her high school don't like 7.  Many had developer versions so they have been buzzing about it, I was surprised to hear it.  I didn't give my opinion to my wife and daughter, I showed them my phone and told them how much nicer the OS had become, Siri is very cool looking etc.  They played with it and did not upgrade, so it's not just me.  I'm always an early adopter, upgraded to 7 as soon as avail, ordered my 64G Black 5S at 12:00:30.  My daughter just walked in while I'm typing this, I asked her to really explain what her friends are saying at school.  She says many are upgrading because that's all there is and they are moving forward.  But many really complain that the theme is just too bright for most things.

I want to like the new look but simply don't.  I've never had co-worked ping me on previous updates with comments like "give me my phone back" after updating like I've gotten today.  I'm not a fan boy, I didn't like the leather binding and felt crap from before either.  I like clean, darker themes, bolder text, modern keypads, and accessories that really work for the application.

I'd love to see themes like the old smartphone roms we used to burn, really wish IOS had selectable themes for those of us who don't like white could switch on the fly.  I'm loving the new features but just don't like this look.  Feedback is a good thing, you think that IOS maps, boldly white, were great at night?  When virtually all other nav programs had a night mode years before.  Dark themes are so much easier on the eyes when messaging at night.  The new control panel and other sliding functions are killer! I've missed multi-function control panels that WinMobile had years ago, it took IOS to rev 7 to have one.

BTW, Siri, I've been using her a lot lately and she has been almost flawless.  After the upgrade, she is cool, absolutely love the graphic, but she is "temporarily un-available, please try later" about half of the time now, odd.

In my 20 years at HP we engineers tended to pass over the 90% great stuff, and focus on the 10% that we could improve, never settle, unless you like mediocrity.  So no, I'm not angry, I sit on development panels and live my life loving technology, but PUSHING for better stuff like lightning connectors vs 30pin clunky stuff.  You think our dear Mr Jobs used to suck up his opinions?

• Reply 52 of 171
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RemE View Post

She says many are upgrading because that's all there is and they are moving forward.  But many really complain that the theme is just too bright for most things.

She is not alone. I think of the UI as too bright as well. It was alright on the part of Apple to 'move on' with the trend and eliminate skeuomorphic design. But come to think of it, there was nothing really wrong with it. The legacy design is what made iOS stand out of the rest. It's not like iOS 7 is a minger, but it isn't gorgeous (as Mr. Ive would have you think) either.

I will still maintain my view - iOS 7 is too bright and colourful and trying hard. The new features are most certainly welcome but the new UI will receive mixed reviews.

If all Apple wanted was to remove skeuomorphic design, they should have done that within iOS 6. They could have added a few inspiration from the now iOS 7, while keeping the original UI and design intact. This mix of iOS 6 and iOS 7 would have definitely been better. But again, that's my opinion. This is why my 4S is still running iOS 6. I just want to make sure that after updating to iOS 7, I wouldn't regret.

• Reply 53 of 171
    Moved to iOS 7. I really like it.

Fresh design unburdened by pre-retina screens.

More functionality. More design crispness.

Much better.

And it's just the beginning of the new direction...

Lemon Bon Bon.
  • Reply 54 of 171
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    philboogie wrote: »

I wonder if Scott upgraded?

Oh that's cold ... :D
  • Reply 55 of 171
    Partial quote only
    reme wrote: »

BTW, Siri, I've been using her a lot lately and she has been almost flawless.  After the upgrade, she is cool, absolutely love the graphic, but she is "temporarily un-available, please try later" about half of the time now, odd.

My bet on Siri issue is so many more people trying her out since 7.
  • Reply 56 of 171
    crysisftw wrote: »
    She is not alone. I think of the UI as too bright as well. It was alright on the part of Apple to 'move on' with the trend and eliminate skeuomorphic design. But come to think of it, there was nothing really wrong with it. The legacy design is what made iOS stand out of the rest. It's not like iOS 7 is a minger, but it isn't gorgeous (as Mr. Ive would have you think) either.

I will still maintain my view - iOS 7 is too bright and colourful and trying hard. The new features are most certainly welcome but the new UI will receive mixed reviews.

If all Apple wanted was to remove skeuomorphic design, they should have done that within iOS 6. They could have added a few inspiration from the now iOS 7, while keeping the original UI and design intact. This mix of iOS 6 and iOS 7 would have definitely been better. But again, that's my opinion. This is why my 4S is still running iOS 6. I just want to make sure that after updating to iOS 7, I wouldn't regret.

On the 'too bright' criticism, I turned by brightness down a tad and it's just fine now and obviously longer battery life too, win win :D
  • Reply 57 of 171
    lkrupp wrote: »
    One sure sign that iOS 7 and the new iPhones are popular and selling well? The iHaters over at C|net are apoplectic, running around with their hair on fire, screaming at the top of their lungs, posting like crazy in every single Apple article published. The F.U.D. is being spread around like $100 bills at a race track. It's really crazy nuts over there. Everything is spinning like a dreidel on Hanukkah. They are truly upset like never before.

Realistically speaking, many of the Apple detractors must be paid. I refuse to accept that such a large contingent of the human race could have such serious emotional and intellectual disabilities. Then again, I am often reminded through experience that the movie 'Idiocracy' may not be far from reality.
  • Reply 58 of 171
    While the media is full of Apple's good news, the management of BlackBerry released some grim news that they hope might get lost in the clutter of Apple background noise.

TORONTO (AP) -- BlackBerry says it will lay off 4,500 employees, or 40 percent of its global workforce, as it reports a nearly $1 billion second-quarter loss in a surprise early release of earnings results.
    The stock dropped 19 percent to $8.50 after reopening for trading. Shares had been halted pending the news.
    BlackBerry had been scheduled to release earnings next week. But the Canadian company said late Friday afternoon it expects a loss of about $950 million to $995 million for the quarter, including a massive inventory charge due to increasing market competition.

Yes, folks, it's true, for a $10 bill you can own a share of Blackberry stock and have enough change left over to buy a large Snicker™ candy bar. Eat the candy bar and wipe the chocolate off your face with the stock certificate.

4000 people losing their jobs is nothing to mock.
  • Reply 59 of 171
    Originally Posted by stelligent View Post
    4000 people losing their jobs is nothing to mock.

Survival of the fittest. Not to mock, sure, but not to congratulate, either.

• Reply 60 of 171
    Survival of the fittest. Not to mock, sure, but not to congratulate, either.

But he was mocking.