Bug in iOS 7 allows calls to be placed from locked iPhone

Comments

• Reply 41 of 130

Why go through this trouble when you can use Siri to call any number while the phone is locked?

• Reply 42 of 130
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Hi, I'm a professional analyst and tech pundit. Based on this bug, I am downgrading AAPL stock to $80 and SELL. I predict Apple will go bankrupt next week and Samsung will overtake them based solely on the fallout from this egregious big. It means Tim Cook can't code as well as Jobs could. Jobs would've caught this bug in testing and fixed it himself.

LOL, good one. I'd add the /s or /j tag, some idiot will take you seriously for sure.
  • Reply 43 of 130
    chabig wrote: »
    Why go through this trouble when you can use Siri to call any number while the phone is locked?

I didn't know that ... really? Got to go and try that.
  • Reply 44 of 130
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    iOS 7 was released a month too early. It's a late beta.
  • Reply 45 of 130
    asdasd wrote: »
    iOS 7 was released a month too early. It's a late beta.

I'll take that over 'perpetual beta' like some OSs ;)
  • Reply 46 of 130
    If someone has physical possession of your iPhone you have much greater problems than them calling someone using the telephone feature.

Call me when the iPhone has millions of users unintentionally infected with malware or thousands of users have been subjected to remote exploits that allow telephone calls.
  • Reply 47 of 130
    Quote:

Originally Posted by 512ke View Post

It's a good catch, and good that Apple will fix it quickly.

If you download a brand new operating system, you have to be willing to deal with little glitches.  It's to be expected.

There is no way this should be acceptable, but this type of thing is hardly unique to Apple. 

It reminds me of the joke about the car built by Microsoft.  After having to put up with an insane number of inconveniences, the jokes ends with the line "For some strange reason, you would accept this."

Yes, it will be fixed quickly, but the big question is, why did not developer or beta tester find this before?

• Reply 48 of 130
    conrail wrote: »
    There is no way this should be acceptable, but this type of thing is hardly unique to Apple. 

It reminds me of the joke about the car built by Microsoft.  After having to put up with an insane number of inconveniences, the jokes ends with the line "For some strange reason, you would accept this."

Yes, it will be fixed quickly, but the big question is, why did not developer or beta tester find this before?

Why didn't someone find this previously?

The reason no one found this is because the sequence of required actions is entirely outside of any expected workflow including user errors. This is an intentional exploit found by someone who wanted to become infamous for discovering an vulnerability in iOS 7. No reasonably expected set of actions would exploit this vulnerability.

Further, why would someone else have my iPhone in the first place; other than my family who I trust? Even if someone had my iPhone, why would I not remotely wipe the iPhone and report the theft to authorities?
  • Reply 49 of 130
    ramsay wrote: »
    Go **** yourself.   If you are a man, then stand by your words.  What if Apple does not go bankrupt next week ? Are you going to eat 10 pounds of shit in front of everyone and shout " I am a professional BS.  My prediction was worse than the shit I just ate !"    Sounds fair ?
    I'm pretty sure he was being facetious and making fun of a-hole analysts.
  • Reply 50 of 130
    Why didn't someone find this previously?

The reason no one found this is because the sequence of required actions is entirely outside of any expected workflow including user errors. This is an intentional exploit found by someone who wanted to become infamous for discovering an vulnerability in iOS 7. No reasonably expected set of actions would exploit this vulnerability.

Further, why would someone else have my iPhone in the first place; other than my family who I trust? Even if someone had my iPhone, why would I not remotely wipe the iPhone and report the theft to authorities?

A good testing team would allow people to deviate from scripts. Anyway they may have known about it. I said this is a late beta because it was forced to be released to hardware release dates, not - like proper software releases - when the criteria for release was met and there were no showstoppers P1s and P2s. OS X is released that way. (Although 10.0 wasn't). Mavericks was more stable to begin with and is not released yet.
  • Reply 51 of 130
    dcgoodcgoo Posts: 280member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chabig View Post

Or dial any number you want with the "dial"command.  But this is not a bug either.   "Siri" is one of the options under "Allow access when locked"  Easily disabled.   

• Reply 52 of 130
    Was the person in this video stupid enough to show their own phone number in a video on You Tube?
  • Reply 53 of 130
    dcgoo wrote: »
    Or dial any number you want with the "dial"command.  But this is not a bug either.   "Siri" is one of the options under "Allow access when locked"  Easily disabled.   

That's why I love AI ... I learn something every read ... Thanks for that tip.
  • Reply 54 of 130
    A good testing team would allow people to deviate from scripts. Anyway they may have known about it. I said this is a late beta because it was forced to be released to hardware release dates, not - like proper software releases - when the criteria for release was met and there were no showstoppers P1s and P2s. OS X is released that way. (Although 10.0 wasn't). Mavericks was more stable to begin with and is not released yet.

No. In my experience working extensively with testing teams, the testing teams should not deviate from test plans. If the testing team is deviating from the test plan then the test plan is not well designed. Nevertheless, the sequence of actions is entirely unpredictable by any reasonable and customary user actions.
  • Reply 55 of 130
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Evilution View Post

I

I don't think you should be allowed on the Internet unsupervised if you can't pick up on sarcasm as blindingly obvious as that.

Sounds like you can't understand what's called counter sarcasm.

• Reply 56 of 130
    Can't reproduce this on my iPhone5 with iOS7. It just keeps saying 'Emergency Calls Only'. I have no control center on the home screen, maybe that influences it?
  • Reply 57 of 130
    Originally Posted by ClemyNX

"If you could call only one number why not only have a 911 button"

Because there are many countries where several emergency numbers exist, like in Europe where you have several numbers for firefighters, ambulance, police, and European emergency number 112.

Apparently you’re illiterate or just unwilling to read my posts in the first place yet then believe you have any right to reply to them. I’ll say it again: My statement blatantly implies that the button would be either general use or change depending on the area in which you live, but no, let’s go completely ignore the point and focus on that part of it.

And no, I don’t live in Cuba.

• Reply 58 of 130
    No. In my experience working extensively with testing teams, the testing teams should not deviate from test plans. If the testing team is deviating from the test plan then the test plan is not well designed. Nevertheless, the sequence of actions is entirely unpredictable by any reasonable and customary user actions.

Apple used to not use scripts or test books. If you don't allow testers to play about all they can do is follow the test book which assumes the test book writer has written all possible happy and non happy paths into his book. which he won't have done. Particularly for fast changing software. It's impossible.
  • Reply 59 of 130
    Apple used to not use scripts or test books. If you don't allow testers to play about all they can do is follow the test book which assumes the test book writer has written all possible happy and non happy paths into his book. which he won't have done. Particularly for fast changing software. It's impossible.

Irrelevant. The sequence of actions is entirely unpredictable by any reasonable and customary user actions.
  • Reply 60 of 130
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Apparently you’re illiterate or just unwilling to read my posts in the first place yet then believe you have any right to reply to them. I’ll say it again: My statement blatantly implies that the button would be either general use or change depending on the area in which you live, but no, let’s go completely ignore the point and focus on that part of it.

And no, I don’t live in Cuba.

So your fundamental argument is this:

If Apple intended for you to only be able to dial an 'emergency' number using emergency dial, they would without question have put only one 'Dial' button there.  Since Apple did *not* do this, this is clearly a feature and 'working as intended' and not a bug at all.