Adoption of Apple's iOS 7 at 32% after 48 hours, outpacing iOS 6

Comments

• Reply 61 of 171
    Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

On the 'too bright' criticism, I turned by brightness down a tad and it's just fine now and obviously longer battery life too, win win image

True, but then you get a muddy white.  Like a Kindle reader, there are times where page white with black text is excellent, and times when white text on black is best.  Why anyone would not want choice blows my mind.

Now at night you will see more faces about town, intently staring into their spotlight screens, faces brightly lit....

• Reply 62 of 171

Out of curiosity, do we have a breakdown including iOS 5 and below? And a breakdown listing usage by phone model? I think those would be interesting to see.

• Reply 63 of 171
    Quote:

Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

Yes, folks, it's true, for a $10 bill you can own a share of Blackberry stock and have enough change left over to buy a large Snicker™ candy bar. Eat the candy bar and wipe the chocolate off your face with the stock certificate.

4000 people losing their jobs is nothing to mock.

Agree - extremely poor taste.

• Reply 64 of 171
    Quote:

Originally Posted by RemE View Post

True, but then you get a muddy white.  Like a Kindle reader, there are times where page white with black text is excellent, and times when white text on black is best.  Why anyone would not want choice blows my mind.

Now at night you will see more faces about town, intently staring into their spotlight screens, faces brightly lit....

Ah, good safety feature. Didn't think of that. Good point. Another *hidden gem* of iOS7!

• Reply 65 of 171
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkLite View Post

Out of curiosity, do we have a breakdown including iOS 5 and below? And a breakdown listing usage by phone model? I think those would be interesting to see.

Is it interesting or is it to find another data point to show Apple's superiority?

I think it's time to move past this Android v. iOS war. Both platforms have pros and cons, fans and detractors. But, above all else, they are different and really cannot be compared head-to-head. Let's all enjoy what we enjoy, and mature past the need to trash another company.
  • Reply 66 of 171
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MacBook Pro View Post

Realistically speaking, many of the Apple detractors must be paid. I refuse to accept that such a large contingent of the human race could have such serious emotional and intellectual disabilities. Then again, I am often reminded through experience that the movie 'Idiocracy' may not be far from reality.

Many?

There are some pretty irrational Android criticisms, too. Did Apple pay them?

I think the fact is that, on the internet, people often simply react instinctively without thinking.
  • Reply 67 of 171
    Many?

I think the fact is that, on the internet, people often simply react instinctively without thinking.

To what "irrational Android criticisms" are you referring?
  • Reply 68 of 171
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by StruckPaper View Post

Many?

The reverse you describe pales in the face of the Apple haters. There is real hatred out there in techie land. Labeling Apple users as mentally ill, calling them every name in the book for daring to choose a product they (the Apple haters) don't approve of is scary to me. These people quite literally cannot stand the fact that the company exists at all, let alone sells millions of devices. Just take tour of the comments section at C|net. The bile, venom, and vitriol is truly spectacular, especially the last two days.

• Reply 69 of 171
    lkrupp wrote: »
    The reverse you describe pales in the face of the Apple haters. There is real hatred out there in techie land. Labeling Apple users as mentally ill, calling them every name in the book for daring to choose a product they (the Apple haters) don't approve of is scary to me. These people quite literally cannot stand the fact that the company exists at all, let alone sells millions of devices. Just take tour of the comments section at C|net. The bile, venom, and vitriol is truly spectacular, especially the last two days.

I noticed that as well. Truly sickening.
  • Reply 70 of 171
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    lkrupp wrote: »

http://readwrite.com/2013/01/29/why-do-americans-hate-android-and-love-apple#awesm=~oi6tHKmyUxQ5nL
  • Reply 71 of 171
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

There is indeed much of that. But what about how people here and elsewhere label Android users and Google engineers? Are Cook et al such vastly superior human beings compared to Page et al? Are Android users all cheap, tasteless and clueless? Is it really true that neither Samsung nor Google has developed anything innovative? Is it really true that there is no real need for a large screen smartphone?

I don't spend enough time going thru the posts to know if the score is even (and I hope you don't either). But there are irrational emotions on both sides of the divide. And that's really a shame and in fact stupid, because neither Apple nor Google needs us to defend them.

• Reply 72 of 171
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Is whatever the newest version of Android is even at half that?

It doesn't need to be. Google Play Services will update automatically OTA on anything running 2.2 or later, and the majority of new APIs are available in the support library. Google's apps have been decoupled from the OS, so they're updated independently.

Kinda frustrating how we have to keep repeating this on here. The OS version number is a lot less important than it used to be.
  • Reply 73 of 171

Ya, I don't get the Android/IOS wars.  I was a Win Mobile user and we had to burn roms to get the features we wanted.  I could do tons of things that IOS could not.  I finally jumped only when the 4S came out with most of the core functions that I needed finally in place, and never looked back.  Why?  Simply because of stability, the almost flawless Bluetooth stack, graceful handling of audio, and the abundance of outrageously cool apps.

Most of the rom "Chefs" logically moved over to android, logically so, they can tweak away to a whole new level.  Android is the new Microsoft Win Mobile.  This is double edged, one can customize at will, but the ecosystem is like windows, open and fractionated.  Choice is a good thing, I choose stability but do miss the flexibility, especially with this new IOS 7 look.  I've avoided jailbreaking only because I've enjoyed having more of my life back by not tinkering with the OS these days.

While I've dissed much of the look of IOS7's icons, I really like the photo and the new clock icons, not only is the time correct on it, but even the second hand works!  That's detail.   Now they should consider having Safari's icon Compass actually work!

• Reply 74 of 171
    Quote:

Ya, I don't get the Android/IOS wars.  I was a Win Mobile user and we had to burn roms to get the features we wanted.  I could do tons of things that IOS could not.  I finally jumped only when the 4S came out with most of the core functions that I needed finally in place, and never looked back.  Why?  Simply because of stability, the almost flawless Bluetooth stack, graceful handling of audio, and the abundance of outrageously cool apps.

Most of the rom "Chefs" logically moved over to android, logically so, they can tweak away to a whole new level.  Android is the new Microsoft Win Mobile.  This is double edged, one can customize at will, but the ecosystem is like windows, open and fractionated.  Choice is a good thing, I choose stability but do miss the flexibility, especially with this new IOS 7 look.  I've avoided jailbreaking only because I've enjoyed having more of my life back by not tinkering with the OS these days.

While I've dissed much of the look of IOS7's icons, I really like the photo and the new clock icons, not only is the time correct on it, but even the second hand works!  That's detail.   Now they should consider having Safari's icon Compass actually work!

Speaking of compass, the new iOS7 compass is pretty cool. Has anyone managed to get the bubble level to 0°?

• Reply 74 of 171
    Originally Posted by derekmorr View Post

It doesn't need to be.

Just go find a different website to crap all over, will you? Your pathetic “wahh wahh, Android doesn’t need to do this” BS is unacceptable. We shouldn’t have to put up with it. 

Wallow in your inadequacies elsewhere.

• Reply 76 of 171
    Quote:

Originally Posted by StruckPaper View Post

Speaking of compass, the new iOS7 compass is pretty cool. Has anyone managed to get the bubble level to 0°?

I did, it then turns green, nice tool.   I really like "Clinometer" app as well.

I just improved the IOS7 look a bit, I chose Setup>General>Accessibility>Bold Text.  Makes text easier for my eyes.

• Reply 77 of 171
    Just go find a different website to crap all over, will you? Your pathetic “wahh wahh, Android doesn’t need to do this” BS is unacceptable. We shouldn’t have to put up with it. 

Wallow in your inadequacies elsewhere.

The poster to whom you responded is apparently conveniently ignoring the fact that core OS updates and upgrades are the most important because those updates and upgrades add significant core functionality such as inter-process communication, memory management, multi-tasking and networking.

The iPhone 5s integrated hardware and software design vastly increases the performance gap between iOS and Android to such a level that Google will be forced to abandon Android within the next few years.
  • Reply 78 of 171
    reme wrote: »

I do not like the icons but after months of using iOS 7 I have begun to care much less.

Reliability, Security and Usability should trump Customization to any systems analyst. I can understand why a developer might want Customization as a key feature of any device; that is if they have the spare time. If they have the spare time I would likely not hire them for anything other than development on a certain platform. Anyone else using a platform with inferior Reliability, Security and Usability isn't focusing on their productivity.
  • Reply 79 of 171
    Quote:

I did, it then turns green, nice tool.   I really like "Clinometer" app as well.

I just improved the IOS7 look a bit, I chose Setup>General>Accessibility>Bold Text.  Makes text easier for my eyes.

Damn, you're right! It turns green! You needed to make the text bold to read? You old man, you! ;)

• Reply 80 of 171

iOS7 managed; it's flat.