Future iPhones could use 'life events' to manage hardware, software settings

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 26
    Quote:

Originally Posted by G-News View Post

With the recent scare and uncovering of all the surveillance going on, it seems a bad point in time to talk about introducing features that automatically combine location, calendar and other data to determine certain functions of the device.

I am not sure this will be particularly popular with the majority of users.

I'm reminded of Benjamin Franklin's comments about trading freedom for temporary security, but while he may have represented many in his day it seems that 21st century Americans are far more interested in convenience and staying "connected". Most don't seem to care who is reading all their texts, email, Google searches and Facebook posts, and some even welcome 24/7/365 surveillance.

Today we're tracked by ISPs, advertisers, push notification companies, Google, the NSA, the intelligence agency in your country if you're not American, etc. You probably have credit cards, store loyalty cards and other things tracking everything you buy too. In the urban areas of the UK you're on camera every time you step outside. Even if you unplug and move to the wilderness away from all regular flight paths a satellite is sure to spot you from time to time.

But does surveillance really provide safety or just the illusion thereof? I think we'd all be much safer in Amish-style villages than our electronically monitored cities and towns.

• Reply 22 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by G-News View Post

With the recent scare and uncovering of all the surveillance going on, it seems a bad point in time to talk about introducing features that automatically combine location, calendar and other data to determine certain functions of the device.

I am not sure this will be particularly popular with the majority of users.

It might seem that way to intelligent people, but frankly, most people just don't think through the consequences of their actions enough to care. In today's world, convenience trumps common sense.  Like Bregalad says, most people don't seem to care (or don't understand) that almost all of their electronic communications and transactions are being recorded, monitored, analyzed and stored for future uses that are yet to be determined.

Features like this are certainly technological whiz-bang marvels, but they are scary for us as a society, and as human beings.
  • Reply 23 of 26
    djames4242 wrote: »
    I'd be pretty happy if Apple would just create customizable notification profiles that I could manually select, much less 'life event' based profiles. I still use a BlackBerry for my work mobile because the iPhone has nowhere near the granularity for notifications.

What BlackBerry device are you using? I have a BlackBerry Curve which was issued by my current employer. The BlackBerry Curve feels like going back a decade in time compared to even an iPhone 4S.
  • Reply 24 of 26
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MacBook Pro View Post

What BlackBerry device are you using? I have a BlackBerry Curve which was issued by my current employer. The BlackBerry Curve feels like going back a decade in time compared to even an iPhone 4S.

I've also got a Curve. And for the most part, it does seem somewhat archaic, but unlike the iPhone I can set up message filters based on subject, sender, content, etc and flag those messages and base my notifications on those filters. When I was in operations I set up notification filters so I would be woken up when I received emails that a system was down, but not for the other hundred messages I would get in an evening.

I love my iPhone, but there's no easy way to set that up in iOS. The only (kludge) I've found is to set up a third-party email filter that uses notification center for alerts, but that won't work with my corporate email.
  • Reply 25 of 26
    djames4242 wrote: »
    I've also got a Curve. And for the most part, it does seem somewhat archaic, but unlike the iPhone I can set up message filters based on subject, sender, content, etc and flag those messages and base my notifications on those filters. When I was in operations I set up notification filters so I would be woken up when I received emails that a system was down, but not for the other hundred messages I would get in an evening.

I love my iPhone, but there's no easy way to set that up in iOS. The only (kludge) I've found is to set up a third-party email filter that uses notification center for alerts, but that won't work with my corporate email.

I can barely figure out how to answer telephone calls on the BlackBerry Curve. I still haven't figured out how to read text messages or listen to my voicemail and forget trying to browse websites. I shouldn't need to read a manual for a few simple functions.

I use IFTTT and Growl for filters on the iPhone. If you are using Microsoft Exchange there are considerable rules options in Microsoft Outlook including the web client.
  • Reply 26 of 26
    hey Im late to the party here - I think it's great Apple is working on context-sensitive computing - I'm all up for experimenting with v0.9! I'm sure this patent is key to preventing certain events from getting routed to one's Apple Watch - a place we sure don't need "notification hell!" Apple's on a mission to shift the user experience of computing by "early 2015" & while the keynote doesn't have me 100% convinced, we'll see if they sneak in "life events detection" :)