Adoption of Apple's iOS 7 at 32% after 48 hours, outpacing iOS 6

Comments

• Reply 81 of 171
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacBook Pro View Post

The poster to whom you responded is apparently conveniently ignoring the fact that core OS updates and upgrades are the most important because those updates and upgrades add significant core functionality such as inter-process communication, memory management, multi-tasking and networking.

Sure, there are features in the core OS. But a lot of new functionality is being put into the upgradable user-space components. So my original point still stands - the OS version number is a lot less important that it used to be.

• Reply 82 of 171
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacBook Pro View Post

The poster to whom you responded is apparently conveniently ignoring the fact that core OS updates and upgrades are the most important because those updates and upgrades add significant core functionality such as inter-process communication, memory management, multi-tasking and networking.

Much of the "core functionality" you list has been present in android for a long time, some since day one. Indeed, intent-based inter-app communication is about as fundamental to android as the app store is to iOS. I'm surprised you didn't mention systemwide UI performance, which was sadly neglected until recently. Unless Google Play gains the ability to patch core system components, the improvements in Project Butter and the like will only be realized through core OS updates. 

• Reply 83 of 171
    reme wrote: »
    While I've dissed much of the look of IOS7's icons, I really like the photo and the new clock icons, not only is the time correct on it, but even the second hand works!  That's detail.

Just like when the wheels in the Software Update are spinning while downloading.
    Now they should consider having Safari's icon Compass actually work!

I don't think that would make sense; with Safari you 'can go anywhere'. If the needle were to point to the East it could indicate you would be looking for some Asian websites
  • Reply 84 of 171
    Spoiler:
    Just go find a different website to crap all over, will you? Your pathetic “wahh wahh, Android doesn’t need to do this” BS is unacceptable. We shouldn’t have to put up with it. 

Don't you find it pathetic that you have to wait a year for any major new functionality to come to iOS? There are plenty of things in iOS 7 that Are NOT tied to low level OS functionality (which also is true for a huge number of features in previous iOS releases). And before you call me a liar spreading FUD, prove me wrong. Name one built in app that has had a major feature added since iOS 6.
  • Reply 85 of 171
    Originally Posted by caliminius View Post

Maybe just don’t lie and you won’t have to deal with “attitude”.

Don't you find it pathetic that you have to wait a year for any major new functionality to come to iOS? 

No, since we don’t.

You might notice I didn’t list anything. Since you’d just decide nothing I listed was “major”, I decided not to play your game.

• Reply 86 of 171
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    derekmorr wrote: »
    Sure, there are features in the core OS. But a lot of new functionality is being put into the upgradable user-space components. So my original point still stands - the OS version number is a lot less important that it used to be.

Yes, Google wants the fandroids to say that to hide the fact that most of them will never get security patches for their phone.
  • Reply 87 of 171
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Yes, Google wants the fandroids to say that to hide the fact that most of them will never get security patches for their phone.

Oh, right, because no one who uses Android is capable of independent thought -- we're all just robotic slaves of the evil Google and Scamsung overlords, mindlessly parroting talking points. /s

Every thread has to be turned into some hateful ragefest against Android. Android must constantly be painted in a negative light, as must everyone who uses it. We must have hundreds of comments bellowing forth the unmatched unequivocal superiority of Apple, iOS, and their users.
  • Reply 88 of 171
    Quote:

Originally Posted by StruckPaper View Post

Speaking of compass, the new iOS7 compass is pretty cool. Has anyone managed to get the bubble level to 0°?

yes

spent a few minutes in both modes.  got it to zero fairly often

• Reply 89 of 171
    reme wrote: »
    Ha, I'm not grumpy really, but I have strong opinions.  I upgraded like most will because there is a TON of great improvements.  My kid and most of her friends in her high school don't like 7.  Many had developer versions so they have been buzzing about it, I was surprised to hear it.  I didn't give my opinion to my wife and daughter, I showed them my phone and told them how much nicer the OS had become, Siri is very cool looking etc.  They played with it and did not upgrade, so it's not just me.  I'm always an early adopter, upgraded to 7 as soon as avail, ordered my 64G Black 5S at 12:00:30.  My daughter just walked in while I'm typing this, I asked her to really explain what her friends are saying at school.  She says many are upgrading because that's all there is and they are moving forward.  But many really complain that the theme is just too bright for most things.

I want to like the new look but simply don't.  I've never had co-worked ping me on previous updates with comments like "give me my phone back" after updating like I've gotten today.  I'm not a fan boy, I didn't like the leather binding and felt crap from before either.  I like clean, darker themes, bolder text, modern keypads, and accessories that really work for the application.

I'd love to see themes like the old smartphone roms we used to burn, really wish IOS had selectable themes for those of us who don't like white could switch on the fly.  I'm loving the new features but just don't like this look.  Feedback is a good thing, you think that IOS maps, boldly white, were great at night?  When virtually all other nav programs had a night mode years before.  Dark themes are so much easier on the eyes when messaging at night.  The new control panel and other sliding functions are killer! I've missed multi-function control panels that WinMobile had years ago, it took IOS to rev 7 to have one.

BTW, Siri, I've been using her a lot lately and she has been almost flawless.  After the upgrade, she is cool, absolutely love the graphic, but she is "temporarily un-available, please try later" about half of the time now, odd.

In my 20 years at HP we engineers tended to pass over the 90% great stuff, and focus on the 10% that we could improve, never settle, unless you like mediocrity.  So no, I'm not angry, I sit on development panels and live my life loving technology, but PUSHING for better stuff like lightning connectors vs 30pin clunky stuff.  You think our dear Mr Jobs used to suck up his opinions?
    After starting to read this, I got bored. Scrolled down and find out you worked for HP. That's the problem. Just like Microsoft, you have no taste. Any designer can see the meticulous amount if work that's been put into the new UI and all you can say is that it's too 'bright.' You clearly have no idea about design. Shame.
  • Reply 91 of 171
    derekmorr wrote: »
    It doesn't need to be. Google Play Services will update automatically OTA on anything running 2.2 or later, and the majority of new APIs are available in the support library. Google's apps have been decoupled from the OS, so they're updated independently.

Kinda frustrating how we have to keep repeating this on here. The OS version number is a lot less important than it used to be.
    Kinda frustrating when people tell only half the story and leave out the important details.

Google is moving most things into Google Play Services. This will reduce fragmentation. It also allows Google to manage updates since any changes to Google Play Services can be done via Google regardless of any custom changes carriers and/or OEMs might have made to Android.

It all sounds so rosy.

Until you see the other side. Android users love to talk about how Android is open source (it's not nearly as open as they claim, but that's a topic for another time). Google Play Services is 100% closed and under Google control. Nobody gets the source code and nobody gets to modify it. So as Google moves more and more of Android into Services it becomes less and less open. If they continue this to its logical conclusion then Android is nothing more than the kernel and bare minimum it needs to function as an OS. "Real" Android will become Google Play Services.

This will also make it pointless to Amazon it others to "fork " Android since they now have a bare bones, stripped down OS to work with.

Bottom line, in order for Google to stop fragmentation and improve updates they are becoming a walked garden, just like iOS. It's going to be fun watching the fandroids wake up one day and discover their open source OS is no longer open.
  • Reply 92 of 171
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by frxntier View Post

After starting to read this, I got bored. Scrolled down and find out you worked for HP. That's the problem. Just like Microsoft, you have no taste. Any designer can see the meticulous amount if work that's been put into the new UI and all you can say is that it's too 'bright.' You clearly have no idea about design. Shame.

Ha, I agree about HP, we used to joke that if HP marketed sushi, they would call it "cold dead fish", but if you read about Apple and Jobs, you might just see that HP inspired so many to create, even supplied the parts for us to do our own thing, like Woz.  Jobs had tons of respect for the old HP that I lived, and I would argue that "the HP way" of collaboration lives on in Apple.  I have pretty good taste actually, just don't care for glaring white screens in dark environments.  HP has produced some very technically elegant equipment and very forward thinking technologies.  Three years ago I decided that HP was dead to me, dumped my stock and threw in for Apple and do think they have the environment needed to survive.  We do agree on MS, they never had taste, pretty sad overall really.  IOS7 is getting mixed reviews on the looks, it's not just me, but hopefully before I die, I'll aspire to be as enlightened as you seem to be...    na, THAT would be a Shame.

Oh, and don't think for a second that I am not marveling at the meticulous attention to detail that is evident all over IOS, it's just not drop dead gorgeous in many areas.

• Reply 93 of 171

deleted

• Reply 94 of 171

Everything looks so flat in iOS7, reminds me of Windows 8, ewww.

• Reply 95 of 171

I updated my iPad mini to OS7 so I guess I get counted in the adoption rate.  However, I find the new OS difficult to read and view, and the "buttons" have gotten so small, especially in Safari, that it  is difficult to use.  Overall it is too bright and the font is too thin.  I cannot even look at the clock and especially the timer.

I will not be updating my iPad nor my iPhone and will try to return to OS6 on my mini.  Hope I can, or I will have to sell it.

I have fairly good eyes.  Many people do not, and I think the new OS will be very difficult for them.  A friend of ours is one; she honestly felt ill after using the demo iPhone at a shop today for just a few seconds.

I had waited for the new OS before buying an iPad for my wife's father, who is in his 80's; she and I both have tried it the new OS on the iPads at a shop and have concluded that it will be impossible for him to use, so for the first time ever we will go look at other tablets tomorrow.  We also had considered getting an iPhone for him, but that is also out of the question now.  DoCoMo has a smart phone aimed at older people, so we are going to check it out this afternoon.

You know something is wrong when a major Apple fan site (not AI) runs an article on improving the visibility of text with your new OS just days after it came available, as opposed to raving about how much better it is than the last one.

• Reply 96 of 171
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member

The iPhone 5s integrated hardware and software design vastly increases the performance gap between iOS and Android to such a level that Google will be forced to abandon Android within the next few years.

I suspect that Android KitKat may be an October surprise, unexpectedly addressing "fragmentation" in a new way. Google threw out a bone a month or so ago with this line:
    "It's our goal with Android KitKat to make an amazing Android experience available for everybody."
  • Reply 97 of 171

Speaking of compass, the new iOS7 compass is pretty cool. Has anyone managed to get the bubble level to 0°?

yes

spent a few minutes in both modes.  got it to zero fairly often

Then you should get the Labyrinth game.
  • Reply 98 of 171
  • Reply 99 of 171
    oliverhk wrote: »
    deleted

Thanks! And welcome to the forum.
  • Reply 100 of 171
    I updated my iPad mini to OS7 so I guess I get counted in the adoption rate.  However, I find the new OS difficult to read and view, and the "buttons" have gotten so small, especially in Safari, that it  is difficult to use.

/Settings/General/Accessibility:
    - zoom (3 finger tap zooms screen in/out
    - Large Type
    - Bolt Text

are 3 that might help. Try it out before reverting back to 6 - while you still can. Otherwise you'll need to take the DFU route, doable, but not easy for some (that doesn't automatically mean you)