Comments

• Reply 101 of 171
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    philboogie wrote: »
    /Settings/General/Accessibility:
    - zoom (3 finger tap zooms screen in/out
    - Large Type
    - Bolt Text

are 3 that might help. Try it out before reverting back to 6 - while you still can. Otherwise you'll need to take the DFU route, doable, but not easy for some (that doesn't automatically mean you)

Apple isn't signing iOS6.x for the Mini anymore. Closed it up yesterday.
  • Reply 102 of 171
    gatorguy wrote: »
    I suspect that Android KitKat may be an October surprise, unexpectedly addressing "fragmentation" in a new way. Google threw out a bone a month or so ago with this line:
    "It's our goal with Android KitKat to make an amazing Android experience available for everybody."

Of course it's Googles' goal to get the latest version of Android on everyones' phone.
    Of course it's none of the telco's goal to get the latest version of Android on everyones' phone.

Sorry, bit of a 'duh' moment here.

OT: and now THIS:
    Yahoo passed Google in US Web visitors in July
  • Reply 103 of 171
    /Settings/General/Accessibility:
    - zoom (3 finger tap zooms screen in/out
    - Large Type
    - Bolt Text

are 3 that might help. Try it out before reverting back to 6 - while you still can. Otherwise you'll need to take the DFU route, doable, but not easy for some (that doesn't automatically mean you)

Apple isn't signing iOS6.x for the Mini anymore. Closed it up yesterday.

Berg will be pleased that he's still able to downgrade his then.

Mini owners will need to take the other route then. Hopefully they're ex-Android users: shouldn't have any trouble with rooting
  • Reply 104 of 171
    Of course it's Googles' goal to get the latest version of Android on everyones' phone.
    Of course it's none of the telco's goal to get the latest version of Android on everyones' phone.

Sorry, bit of a 'duh' moment here.

OT: and now THIS:
    Yahoo passed Google in US Web visitors in July

October's isn't far off. 8-)

As for Yahoo passing Google in web visitors that should be enough answer for regulators who listen too much to MS FUD about a Google monopoly. Seems Yahoo competes just fine.
  • Reply 105 of 171
    haarhaar Posts: 563member
    What kind of useless info is that? How about global?

22% in first 24 hours, globally. That's more like it.

I wonder if Scott upgraded?

if scott is like Steve jobs when he was ousted... he got rid of all apple stock (in this case his apple products) except for one... and because that last stock has a. sentimental value he did not upgrade it... if my wild assumptions are correct, is he rocking a gaxy s4 LOL...

all kidding aside i would assume that he upgraded his devices...
  • Reply 106 of 171
    haarhaar Posts: 563member
    reme wrote: »
    "Will you similarly whine when your non-sanctioned cable destroys your iPhone and you have to buy a new one?"

Nope, as an engineer who's used handheld devices since their inception, I make and use many types of custom cables.  So far, in 20 years from HP LX till today, none of my devices have been damaged by a cable.  If it did happen, I'd suck it up and simply get it fixed.  I'm not saying it's impossible and there are some cables that I look over and just toss before even trying.

But when apple takes a year to make a long cable, then rapes for it, sheese.  Or how about the stupid 30pin adapters?  The short one won't work with any type of case, the 11" one is just long enough to give you a very clunky adapted cable, say in you car setup.  Why not a 1 or 1.5M cable? so the clunky 30 pin parts can be hidden away?

I'm a stock holder and only want Apple to do well, but they have tons of cash and expertise and still leave these glaring loose ends.  it's not cool at all.

monoprice!!!... and their cables are "made for iPad/iPod" and they are half price!.
  • Reply 107 of 171
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    There was an interesting article in the Washington Post about the hysterics around iOS 7. The basic theme was people just need to clam down. And they interviewed the guy who is responsible for the Washington Post app and website and he said anytime they update their app/site they get lots of complaints from people mostly because its new/different/confusing and then eventually it dies down as people become more familiar with the changes.
  • Reply 108 of 171

Completely agree.  Near white type on a white background is.... well... an interesting approach....  unreadable in most bright lighting situation....  While I have found new features that I like, the ability to actually see, reconize, and read the stuff I would think is important.  But maybe not... we do live in an imagination vitual reality ... make-believe is the new reality .... so perhaps "image what this text says" is the latest thing.......  The well hidden data wheel, the peek-a-boo slides, and the "Guess where I am" hot links are a bit much to deal with.  Mr. Ive and Applie need to back off a notch or two with the white on white theme.

I consider the flat, dimentionless, neon crayola stick figure kindergarden icons a separate matter which I could live with if the white on white problem were addressed.

Fixing the security flaws of iOS 6....  a good thing... keep that.... 

Everything else with iOS 7 might be ok ... if apple and Mr Ive would just ratched down the white on white a couple of notches....

• Reply 109 of 171

I agree. Another issue I have is the fonts are too thin for me. My 50+ year old eyes can not read these thin fonts as well. Why not give us the ability to make them bold.........

• Reply 110 of 171
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    tgapple wrote: »
    I agree. Another issue I have is the fonts are too thin for me. My 50+ year old eyes can not read these thin fonts as well. Why not give us the ability to make them bold.........
    You can change it in settings. Under general > accessibility you can make the font larger or smaller and turn on/off bold text.
  • Reply 111 of 171
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    jragosta wrote: »
    So, roughly, it will take Android 48 months to get to where Apple is in 48 hours.

And by then only 5% will be running the then new version of Android, 'Jawbreakers'.
  • Reply 112 of 171
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    I suspect that Android KitKat may be an October surprise, unexpectedly addressing "fragmentation" in a new way. Google threw out a bone a month or so ago with this line:
    "It's our goal with Android KitKat to make an amazing Android experience available for everybody."

So ... are you hinting KitKat is a new super Android Dalvik VM that runs all the other versions of Android VMs?
  • Reply 113 of 171
    haar wrote: »
    all kidding aside i would assume that he upgraded his devices...

...while Mrs. Forstall stitches him a nice leather case ¡
  • Reply 114 of 171
    I updated my iPad mini to OS7 so I guess I get counted in the adoption rate.  However, I find the new OS difficult to read and view, and the "buttons" have gotten so small, especially in Safari, that it  is difficult to use.  Overall it is too bright and the font is too thin.  I cannot even look at the clock and especially the timer.

I will not be updating my iPad nor my iPhone and will try to return to OS6 on my mini.  Hope I can, or I will have to sell it.

I have fairly good eyes.  Many people do not, and I think the new OS will be very difficult for them.  A friend of ours is one; she honestly felt ill after using the demo iPhone at a shop today for just a few seconds.

I had waited for the new OS before buying an iPad for my wife's father, who is in his 80's; she and I both have tried it the new OS on the iPads at a shop and have concluded that it will be impossible for him to use, so for the first time ever we will go look at other tablets tomorrow.  We also had considered getting an iPhone for him, but that is also out of the question now.  DoCoMo has a smart phone aimed at older people, so we are going to check it out this afternoon.

You know something is wrong when a major Apple fan site (not AI) runs an article on improving the visibility of text with your new OS just days after it came available, as opposed to raving about how much better it is than the last one.

Go into 'Accessibility' settings. You can increase default text size, and bold the font, for starters.
  • Reply 115 of 171
    jimmiek wrote: »
    Everything else with iOS 7 might be ok ... if apple and Mr Ive would just ratched down the white on white a couple of notches....

You can improve contrast (and if needed, even reverse colors) under 'Accessibility'.
  • Reply 116 of 171
    tgapple wrote: »

It IS there. See above.
  • Reply 117 of 171
    So ... are you hinting KitKat is a new super Android Dalvik VM that runs all the other versions of Android VMs?

I'm not hinting anything. That would presume I knew something factual about the next version to drop hints about. I don't. I am guessing that Google is about to reveal a new way of dealing with fragmentation tho.
  • Reply 118 of 171
    I updated my iPad mini to OS7 so I guess I get counted in the adoption rate.  However, I find the new OS difficult to read and view, and the "buttons" have gotten so small, especially in Safari, that it  is difficult to use.  Overall it is too bright and the font is too thin.  I cannot even look at the clock and especially the timer.

Firmware is available here, if you want to downgrade.
  • Reply 119 of 171
    Firmware is available here, if you want to downgrade.

Phil, if you take a look there's no longer (as of yesterday) any version for his device except 7.x approved by Apple. I don't think he'll be able to go back to 6.x and restore his mini.
  • Reply 120 of 171
    Phil, if you take a look there's no longer (as of yesterday) any version for his device except 7.x approved by Apple. I don't think he'll be able to go back to 6.x and restore his mini.

Saw that, thanks, but one can still put it in DFU mode and circumvent the signing issue. In this case, 'Google can be your friend'.