Apple sells out of initial iPhone 5s supply in under 2 days, shipments pushed to October

Comments

• Reply 121 of 238
    His option trades have little or no impact on stock prices.

Oh Lordy. If you buy options please lie to me and say you don't. You complain quite often about stock manipulation.
  • Reply 122 of 238
    blackbook wrote: »
    I stood in line yesterday and bought my 5S directly from my apple store. Best smartphone I've ever owned.

Today there were still lines of people waiting for 5S.

Here are my quick observations:

There was very little interest in the 5C except from children.

The 5C looked and felt like plastic. Not my cup of tea and that was a major negative point from other adults I talked to at the store.

Most 5C that actually sold (and even the Apple employees admitted it was a slow seller at the store) were parents buying for kids. Some parents opted to buy their kids 5S instead though.

Anyway all that to say. The 5S is an amazing smartphone the most innovative small device I've ever used. Use touch ID a few times and you'll feel the magic I'm talking about. But the 5C on the other hand. Still a head scratcher in my book.

It's not helping Apple's image. It doesn't look that great. And it's not selling well. It may be selling better than last years 4S but that's not saying much IMO.

I'm thinking that the 5C will sell better outside of Applestores, like AT&T stores. People that show up at an Apple store on launch weekend are not the same customers buying phones at one of the carriers stores.
  • Reply 123 of 238

Here are a few of my thoughts....

1) Absolutely nothing wrong with a Polycarbonate phone.  They look fine and will withstand an impact better than glass and aluminum....

2) I think the 5s will outsell the 5c over this weekend, however, I think the 5c will outsell the 5s for the rest of the year.   The majority of the more zealous Apple fans will tend to buy the biggest and best for the first few days.  After that,  people who do not tend to get caught up in the initial buzz will start to realize that the 5c is good phone at a lower price.  I installed i0S 7 on my iPad Mini and it seems to be a little faster or about the same. I am sure it runs great on the 5c...

3) I do wish they would put more RAM in the phones...  With a 64bit processor in the 5s it really needs more than 1gb of ram.  Lack of RAM is what makes them slow down as the operating systems are upgraded....

My wife's Gold iPhone 5s should be in next week (ordered it just after midnight).  I canceled the order for my slate iPhone 5s however.  I played with my friend's iPhone 5 this weekend and simply could not get past the narrow screen.  I decided to wait and see if they release one with a wider screen next year.  I have become accustom to 5" screens and it is just hard to go back to such a narrow screen device.  I am a large person with large hands and the larger phones simply work better for me.... However, I am not really an Android fan, but the Android phones do meet my needs and are getting much better...

• Reply 124 of 238
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

7 million would be the number... considering that China was included in the launch this time. That would equal last year's launch of the 5.

It would signal no growth over last year... but at least it wouldn't signal negative growth.

Dude, you"re thinking like an "anal-yst" ... or are you just guilty of " looking for the cloud behind the silver lining." Don't over think the situation. Growth is growth. I can tell you for a fact that when my business went up by 40% ... I never once said ... "well yeah, but that's only because I have 40% more customers this year ... so it doesn't count".

• Reply 125 of 238
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by newbee View Post

Dude, you"re thinking like an "anal-yst" ... or are you just guilty of " looking for the cloud behind the silver lining." Don't over think the situation. Growth is growth. I can tell you for a fact that when my business went up by 40% ... I never once said ... "well yeah, but that's only because I have 40% more customers this year ... so it doesn't count".

I'm just stating how the analysts will view the situation.

It will cause them to wait until January before they suggest an upgrade or downgrade.

To me this is like talking about the weather. Small talk. Something I noticed and relayed to someone else.

• Reply 126 of 238
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

Apple has bet the farm on this plastic phone. If your scenario of no interest and low sales were to prove true, it would be a huge disaster for them. 

How do you figure that?  If the 5c is a bad seller, then they will sell a lot more 4s and 5s phones.   It isn't like people will go "I don't like the 5c, so I will buy a Samsung".

Apple will have over $50 earnings per share next year no matter how well the 5c does.

• Reply 127 of 238
    Originally Posted by e1618978 View Post

Apple will have over $50 earnings per share next year no matter how well the 5c does.

Over the entire year, you mean; not just in a quarter, right? That’s the last thing we need analysts to get wind of. :p

• Reply 128 of 238
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by e1618978 View Post

How do you figure that?  If the 5c is a bad seller, then they will sell a lot more 4s and 5s phones.   It isn't like people will go "I don't like the 5c, so I will buy a Samsung".

Apple will just have to sell as many 5c phones as it did selling 4s phones last year when the 5 was introduced. I'm thinking they can do at least that much.

• Reply 129 of 238
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    mstone wrote: »
    You are replying to blackbook with a very condescending tone, accosting him of being foolish for predicting lower than expected sales of the 5c and not waiting for the released numbers, yet you take an exact, but, opposite stance ahead of the numbers predicting that 'it will sell well'. Seems a tad hypocritical.

Yep, it probably seems that way, but the context is that blackbook has been banging away at the plastic iPhone concept since the first case images were leaked, and I have been banging away back at him, because, 1. after the 6th post or so it gets very tiresome, and 2., he is not using the eyes and hands that nature gave him. It's not a matter of opinion so much as a perceptual defect.

Based on that defect, his prediction of Apple's failure is just too galling.
  • Reply 130 of 238
    tony1tony1 Posts: 259member

Plan B: 

Went to the VerizonWireless Store today. Had the employee pull out 2 32gb 5S's. Called VerizonWireless, while in the store, waited 40 minutes on hold and then cancelled my order. Purchased my phones in store. Walked out with a smile.

• Reply 131 of 238
    I got lucky and picked up a 32 gray at bestbuy after work. I was in and out in about 45 minutes
  • Reply 132 of 238
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

Yep, it probably seems that way, but the context is that blackbook has been banging away at the plastic iPhone concept since the first case images were leaked, and I have been banging away back at him, because, 1. after the 6th post or so it gets very tiresome, and 2., he is not using the eyes and hands that nature gave him. It's not a matter of opinion so much as a perceptual defect.

Based on that defect, his prediction of Apple's failure is just too galling.

Hmmm... 

1. Blackbook never said Apple would fail

2. Blackbook has a different opinion about the 5c than you do (defect??!! For f*cks sake, man!)

3. It gets very tiresome to hear someone banging away that the 5c will be a stupendous hit before they see the numbers.

4. If the 5c doesn't sell in the numbers projected by Apple then the price will be lowered for the off contract phone and all will be right with the world again.
  • Reply 133 of 238
    His option trades have little or no impact on stock prices.

Oh Lordy. If you buy options please lie to me and say you don't. You complain quite often about stock manipulation.

I have not complained about 'stock manipulation' even once. You're welcome to check my post history. You must have me confused with someone else.

As an aside, I do occasionally buy or sell straight calls or puts. Nothing more complicated than that (i.e., no complex strategies like 'straddles').
  • Reply 134 of 238
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member

This is very bad newsfor Samsung.:p

• Reply 135 of 238
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

I have not complained about 'stock manipulation' even once. You're welcome to check my post history. You must have me confused with someone else.

As an aside, I do occasionally buy or sell straight calls or puts. Nothing more complicated than that (i.e., no complex strategies like 'straddles').

Actually I think you have more or less rolled your eyes at the mention of manipulation.

• Reply 136 of 238
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by StruckPaper View Post

Hey folks, it's 5s, not 5S. 5c, not 5C. This matters, particularly for those selling them. :)

No, you're typing it wrong. It's 5[s] and 5[c].

(hint: We don't actually care.)

• Reply 137 of 238
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

What the f*ck, man. Do you think I really care. I'm just stating how the analysts will view the situation. Period.

It will cause them to wait until January before they suggest an upgrade or downgrade.

To me this is like talking about the weather. Small talk. Something I noticed and relayed to someone else.

Perhaps, to clear up any "confusion" ... if you were to preface your remarks with... "the analysts will probably say" .... it would leave no doubt that that is, not in fact, your opinion...... because, as you probably know, if it walks like a duck, et. etc. .... Sorry if I wasn't able to "interpret" your thoughts. 

• Reply 138 of 238

That's my bad. Sorry. But just so I can be right about *something*, I'm going to say I AM familiar enough with your posts that I don't need to check your history. ;)
  • Reply 139 of 238
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Hmmm... 

1. Blackbook never said Apple would fail

2. Blackbook has a different opinion about the 5c than you do

3. It gets very tiresome to hear someone banging away that the 5c will be a stupendous hit before they see the numbers.

4. If the 5c doesn't sell in the numbers projected by Apple then the price will be lowered for the off contract phone and all will be right with the world again.

Blackbook did not work out the implications of (his saying that) the 5c would be dud. If Apple were to miss with the 5c, then all the negative press and market sentiment, etc., would go from the present noise level to an actual destructive force.

Not seeing that Apple is now doing structural plastic the way they did structural aluminum is a failure of perception. They are redefining the way phones are built—again. To miss that is to makes any opinion you have about the appeal of the 5c worthless, except as a psychological curiosity. Square but rounded shoulders, a flat back, machined holes, and a reinforcing antenna are not trivial details, they're architecture. It isn't a snap-on plastic shell with hardly any thought given to function, in other words. Ive's seriousness of purpose is transmitted to the susceptible person handling the phone more or less unconsciously. If you can't look, actually feel, past the color and the polymer and realize this, it is really just an indication that you're not perceptually susceptible.

The colors are a matter of opinion and taste. My comment about their not being my colors should have reflected that, so that two-dimensional thinkers would not seize on it.

Yes I know it must be tiresome to you who either side with blackbook or don't care, but I wouldn't be sticking out my neck with rosy predictions if the "cheap plastic" meme weren't spreading like a disease.
  • Reply 140 of 238
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    hill60 wrote: »
    We had a lot more 5S than we had 5's at launch.

Biggest sale days ever.

That's good to know - since Apple will sell every one they can make, availability will be the limiting factor. If they had more than last year, numbers should be good.

7 million would be the number... considering that China was included in the launch this time. That would equal last year's launch of the 5.

It would signal no growth over last year... but at least it wouldn't signal negative growth.

You could argue for any number of adjustments, but in this case, the correct adjustment is 0.00. Apple sold everyone they had on opening weekend - just like last year, so if they beat last year at all, it's a gain.
    1983 wrote: »
    Yeah I suspect the 5C is going to turn out to be a flop unfortunately, its neither here nor there, it should of been cheaper, then maybe it would have a market.

Uh huh. Want to bet? The 5C will sell better than the 4S did when the iPhone 5 came out. It will undoubtedly be the best selling 'better' phone Apple has ever offered.