Will you be doing a clean or upgrade install of OSX Mavericks?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014

Just curious. Generally, I know OSX is pretty good at staying quick after upgrade installs. However even after quadrupling my RAM (last unibody white macbook), 10.8 just feels a bit pudgy around the edges (and Windows 8.1 on the same hardware feels very fast), I wonder if a clean install may be the way to go this time, and 10.9 will be a good time to do it. 

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10

Due to the number of idiotic applications I’ve had to install (and then uninstall) that don’t actually uninstall properly, I’ve probably lost gigabytes of space to crap I no longer use.

I’ll be clean installing and then…ugh… manually recopying my ~terabyte iTunes Library and reinstalling all applications. Should be a few days of work getting things back to normal, provided I even remember what normal was over that timeframe.

Also, how large is com.apple.iconservices supposed to be, anyway? Mine is 2GB and has 2,488 files. That seems wrong.

• Reply 2 of 10
    robmrobm Posts: 1,068member
    IMNSHO - clean install always, on a wiped disc (zero'd out).
    Longer method I know - but I can be sure that everything is squeaky clean and optimised.
    I know many many people use the upgrade option with no problems.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    I usually do a clean install. I might be tempted to first clone my OSX/Applications/Home drive and do an upgrade on that. Maybe if it 'all works' I'll simply do that on my current drive. If there is anything 'wrong' I'll do a clean install on my SSD.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    tipootipoo Posts: 1,141member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RobM View Post

IMNSHO - clean install always, on a wiped disc (zero'd out).

Longer method I know - but I can be sure that everything is squeaky clean and optimised.

I know many many people use the upgrade option with no problems.

Clean install is an idea, but what's the point of zeroing out the hard drive rather than a quick format, which from the computers perspective looks the exact same? Ignoring SSDs for now, of course. 

• Reply 5 of 10
    robmrobm Posts: 1,068member
    The point is - I''m old school. Video from way back.

Never, ever had an issue using this method. When time is money a few hard yards spent on a clean install on a fresh drive is worth it.
    Try and sort a botched install after it screws up - nah.
    You can if you want - I'm not going there. ;)
  • Reply 6 of 10

I have been doing upgrade, or combo upgrade since Jaguar (10.2) I believe was the version. I have never had an issue doing this while going through 4 computers, using migration assistant to set them up.

I understand the need for some of the voo-doo we used to do, but that was then, a long time ago - and times are definately different now. YMMV

• Reply 7 of 10
    tipootipoo Posts: 1,141member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RogueDogRandy View Post

I have been doing upgrade, or combo upgrade since Jaguar (10.2) I believe was the version. I have never had an issue doing this while going through 4 computers, using migration assistant to set them up.

I understand the need for some of the voo-doo we used to do, but that was then, a long time ago - and times are definately different now. YMMV

Yeah, as I said, normally I'd just upgrade as OSX is pretty good at staying on its feet after them. However I just can't help but feel Mountain Lion is a lot pudgier than any other modern OS I've tried, and I wonder if the upgrade from SL was the cause. 

• Reply 8 of 10
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    I play fast and loose with my installs so it'll be an upgrade. Been doing it like that since 10.1. It just works.
  • Reply 9 of 10

yes I will be doing a clean install.

Ot is for me worth the hassle and fills up some free time.

• Reply 10 of 10

Clean Install 

I feel like there's way too much crud mucking things up.  I want as fresh a copy of OS X as I can get.