Apple announces sales of 9 million iPhone 5s & 5c units in first 3 days

Comments

• Reply 61 of 219
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    Ahh yes good ol' Bugs Bunny, while some of us would understand that reference the young whipper snappers won't.
    What a gullibull. What a nincowpoop. What an ultra maroon.

If memory serves that's the line Bugs says.
  • Reply 62 of 219
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PScooter63 View Post

"Grotesquely low" inventory, eh?

I assume that the nine million includes pre-orders (like mine).

Either way, these numbers are way above last year's sales and way above predictions!
  • Reply 63 of 219
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    CONGRATS TIM COOK AND APPLE.
    AND THANK YOU- I ABSOLUTELY COULDN'T BE HAPPIER WITH MY NEW 64 SPACE GREY!

Everything looks so much better in person too- both 5s and 5c and their respective covers. I was shocked- the colors, the builds.
    Stunning.
  • Reply 64 of 219
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    I love how some analysts and tech sites are throwing in caveats about China or the 5C. First, no analyst predicted sales of 9M and that was taking China and the 5C in to account. A lot of them thought it was a doomed launch for Apple because they didn't announce any 5C numbers last week. Second a lot of people were calling the 5C a failure and not expecting it to sell well. If we're supposed to believe that then the 5C isn't really inflating numbers is it? Bottom line is all things considered, nobody expected this number. Not even the Gene Munster's of the world. And even with this number Apple still can't get back to where it was before the keynote. :rolleyes:
  • Reply 65 of 219
    Wow...that is impressive.
  • Reply 66 of 219
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    pscooter63 wrote: »
    "Grotesquely low" inventory, eh?

Not to mention all the other pundits who were complaining that the 5C was too expensive and no one wanted a plastic phone and the 5S screen was too small and 1000 other petty complaints.

Just once, I'd like to see one of the experts say "I admit that I was wrong and didn't know what I was talking about. Apple has shown years of doing a great job, so let's just let them do their thing without insane criticism".
  • Reply 67 of 219
    jakebjakeb Posts: 562member
    I can't wait to read the analyst takebacks today. Nine. Million. And sold out on 5S too, which means the initial tidal wave is not close to being over.
  • Reply 68 of 219
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    If the 5s is actually outselling the 5c by  3.7 X as data suggests then I wouldn't say you are too far wrong.

I don't think that's obvious at all.

Even if the 3.7X ratio is correct, the 5C would have sold 2 M phones in 3 days. You can count the number of phones that sold that many in one weekend on the fingers of one hand - and most of them are previous iPhones.

2 M of ANY new phone in one weekend is impressive - and when it contains previous generation internals, it's even more impressive.
  • Reply 69 of 219
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Just once, I'd like to see one of the experts say "I admit that I was wrong and didn't know what I was talking about. Apple has shown years of doing a great job, so let's just let them do their thing without insane criticism".

I'd actually then start paying attention to him/her.

We don't want that. Who'd we have to dump on? 

• Reply 70 of 219

Outstanding! Take this Peter MeSuck

• Reply 71 of 219
    jmc54jmc54 Posts: 207member

Actually a little frightened! Stock went up!! Pundits haven't complained (so far) that it wasn't 10, 15, 20 million units!

• Reply 72 of 219
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

Fantastic.

They still have a huge growth margin in the high end, especially with a bigger screen.

Exactly. I mentioned earlier that I visited the Scottsdale, AZ (USA) store on Sunday. Loved the iPhones but I was struck as I looked down the store just how wonderful Apple's product line is. There were the iPhones of course, the 5c colors, the iPads and the Minis, then the 2 MBA models, then the MBP line and finally the new iMacs in all their splendor. 

Just fantastic...what a lot of work, attention to detail...Just genius! Stevo would be very proud.

Congratulations Apple! :)
  • Reply 73 of 219
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Good call (pun intended).;)

I was hoping the calls would win over the puts.  With the bread and butter of Apple selling well and with all high margins phones, I strongly suggest investors to get long on the stock on dips.

We have a lot more product launches coming.

• Reply 74 of 219
    N
    wisely wrote: »
    Apple could have sold more if they have gotten the production right.

They have too little gold version to go around, not enough silver version and generally not enough 5s to go around.

Probably production constraint issues.

Apple has no need to lower price for 5c, they just need to produce more 5s and less 5c depending on market's demand.

They got it exactly right. Everyone wants a gold iPhone - and they are not getting any. Why is that?

It makes the entirely line up special. Gucci, Prada, Chanel , Jimmy Choo (the list go on and on) been there done that many times.

It's not about giving everyone what they want, it's about making everyone want one. Too much make your brand cheaper. This is one of the most successful market plot anyone have ever seen, period.
  • Reply 75 of 219
    I contributed 2 iphone 5s to the 9 million units. Love the touch id!!

I still think the screen is too small but I also think the ipad mini screen is too small, so it's subjective. That's why I am dying for ipad 5 launch. A7 and ipad 5 are perfect match!

Even though I wish for bigger screen, unfortunately the other phones are not worth considering. I am hoping next year Apple will also offer a larger screen iphone. With a larger screen iphone, the first 3 days sales will break 9 million.
  • Reply 76 of 219
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

I don't think that's obvious at all.

Even if the 3.7X ratio is correct, the 5C would have sold 2 M phones in 3 days. You can count the number of phones that sold that many in one weekend on the fingers of one hand - and most of them are previous iPhones.

2 M of ANY new phone in one weekend is impressive - and when it contains previous generation internals, it's even more impressive.

Well, if you go back to previous threads you will see that whenever I or a few others said that the 5C would, at best, only sell as many phones as previous 2nd generation phones then you'll see the irrational responses by quite a few members who said the 5c would be a blow-out seller. Sorry... 2 million is not a blow-out seller [for an iPhone]. 6 million units of the 5s is a blow-out seller.

• Reply 77 of 219
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

If the 5s is actually outselling the 5c by  3.7 X as data suggests then I wouldn't say you are too far wrong.

I think the 5S is more of an improvement over the 5 than the media first thought. Speed, Security, and camera. Evolutionary my ass! I think those are massive improvements. Especially the speed/chips.

I can see the 5S being most popular with early adopters...they are into having the newest best kit available. The 5C will be a hit eventually. The colors really are striking complement iOS7 very well.
  • Reply 78 of 219
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rulebreaker View Post

Doomed, I tell you.

Clearly Tim Cook and Company don't know what they are doing.  Expect the stock to drop some more. /s

• Reply 79 of 219
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Some clown on CNBC just referred to these 9 million + as an "Apple army" and that lack of innovation will keep the stock down. :lol: And then good old Peter Misek comes on to downplay these numbers and claim that growth is essentially flat and the products are too expensive for China, blah blah blah. Even the CNBC host has to stop him because he was talking so stupid. :lol:

Basically Wall Street got this wrong and rather than admit they got it wrong they're finding any way they can to downplay the numbers. What a bunch of losers. :rolleyes:
  • Reply 80 of 219
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

I think the 5S is more of an improvement over the 5 than the media first thought. Speed, Security, and camera. I think those are massive improvements. Especially the speed/chips.

I can see the 5S being most popular with early adopters...they are into having the best kit available. The 5C will be a hit eventually. The colors really are striking alongside iOS7.

I don't think there was ever any doubt about the 5s.

The real test for the 5c will be the Christmas crowd. I think you'll be seeing a lot of 7 - 13 year old kids with color iPhones in January.