Apple releases new 'Greetings' iPhone 5c television ad

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
A third television commercial for Apple's mid-range iPhone 5c appeared on the company's official YouTube channel early Monday morning, briefly shifting the campaign's focus from the phone's aesthetic to the emotional connections it helps facilitate in everyday life.

The new spot, which has been released in a short, 31 second version as well as a 62 second extended cut, is entitled "Greetings" and features people from around the world using the iPhone 5c to say 'hello' in various languages.

Following in the footsteps of "Plastic Perfected," which showcased the iPhone 5c's colorful polycarbonate shell and "Designed Together," which focused on the integration between the new device and Apple's radically redesigned iOS 7, "Greetings" marks a slight alteration in messaging for the mid-range handset's ad blitz.

Rather than touting the phone's design and features, the spot instead highlights the ways in which the device can enhance the user's lifestyle. This more emotional approach ? begun with the company's famous "Think Different" campaign ? is typical of Apple's advertising strategy since late CEO Steve Jobs's return in 1997.

The iPhone 5c and its sibling, Apple's new flagship iPhone 5s, sold a record-breaking 9 million units in their first weekend of availability. Though Apple has not provided breakdowns of sales by model, a similarly-timed report suggests that the 5s may have been more than 3 times as popular as the 5c during their first weekend on the market.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    It is a product that lends itself to good advertising, which is ironic for a company that has struggled with commercials on its own products. I still think Apple TV would have a lot more content if commercials were allowed in the tv shows on the iTunes Store. I like the extended version best.
  • Reply 2 of 19

There may be something wrong here, but I have already seen this commercial on TV over the weekend. Has anyone else also seen this same commercial on TV already?

• Reply 3 of 19
    enzosenzos Posts: 344member

My (wife's) nephew got the 5C in blue, the same blue as in the Fiji flag. Bula!

• Reply 4 of 19
    Yep, this ad was played at the Keynote. I like it.

What a lot of work to put all those people in one ad! :)

The 5c is a lot better in person than the photos on the web show.

This is going to sound really stupid, but I like the performance improvements of the 5S and will be getting the gold model. But if the 5S came with a white front and a blue plastic back, that's the model i would choose. It shows how much I like the colors of the 5c. Very striking!

I know, stupid. Put a blue plastic case on the 5S. I just don't like the added thickness of cases. :)
  • Reply 5 of 19
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    A guy artist friend of mine got the pink with the black "hon" cover. It is wild. And the rubbery cases are awesome.
  • Reply 6 of 19
    Quote:

Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

Yep, this ad was played at the Keynote. I like it.

What a lot of work to put all those people in one ad! image

The 5c is a lot better in person than the photos on the web show.

This is going to sound really stupid, but I like the performance improvements of the 5S and will be getting the gold model. But if the 5S came with a white front and a blue plastic back, that's the model i would choose. It shows how much I like the colors of the 5c. Very striking!

I know, stupid. Put a blue plastic case on the 5S. I just don't like the added thickness of cases. image

I feel the same way, I love the polycarb shell. Feels soooooo much better than other plastic phones, including the 3GS I owned.

It feels so... solid. 
  • Reply 7 of 19
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Rather than touting the phone's design and features, the spot instead highlights the ways in which the device can enhance the user's lifestyle. This more emotional approach ? begun with the company's famous "Think Different" campaign ? is typical of Apple's advertising strategy since late CEO Steve Jobs's return in 1997.

I disagree with this, the "Plastic Perfected" case hearkens back to the glory days of the great iPod commercials. It's just so fun.

I don't mind two different approaches. 

I have yet to see a 5S commercial on TV. Seen a dozen 5C ones.

• Reply 8 of 19

They don't have any 5Ss to sell! Which I guess in one point in having the more mass-producible 5C - to take up the slack. I think eventually they will be bought as smart phones for the 'other family members'. 

• Reply 9 of 19
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Pendergast View Post

I feel the same way, I love the polycarb shell. Feels soooooo much better than other plastic phones, including the 3GS I owned.

It feels so... solid. 

Yep, I was truly amazed when I got my 4 after having the 3Gs. The workmanship and solid feel of the 4 were impressive. But as time wore on I found the glass back and the raised glass front of my 4 and then my 4s to be problematic. It was also heavy. 

When the 5 came out I was amazed how light it was compared to my 4s. I liked the the return of the aluminum back, too.

Don't get me wrong, the 5S is a stunning piece of engineering, faster, secure and better camera all in a very thin and light form factor. I will get the 5S and put the leather (product) Red case on it. (And start thinking about other things!)

I just really like the striking colors of the 5c and I think Apple has a winner with the 5c case. Allowing the super shiny color of the phone to show thru with a contrasting Apple matt colored case. Just brilliant! :)
  • Reply 10 of 19

Blah ads.

• Reply 11 of 19
    wisdomseed wrote: »
    It is a product that lends itself to good advertising, which is ironic for a company that has struggled with commercials on its own products. I still think Apple TV would have a lot more content if commercials were allowed in the tv shows on the iTunes Store. I like the extended version best.

Struggled? Explain.
  • Reply 12 of 19
    Enjoyable commmercial for the iPhone 5c. Very fun!
  • Reply 13 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post
    I just really like the striking colors of the 5c and I think Apple has a winner with the 5c case. Allowing the super shiny color of the phone to show thru with a contrasting Apple matt colored case. Just brilliant! :)

The 5C cases are brilliant, although I would have liked an oblong hole so "iPhone" can be seen, and not just "hon".

But other than that... it's truly brilliant how the slight bit of color can be seen on the front, just a sliver of a border.

• Reply 14 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pendergast View Post

The 5C cases are brilliant, although I would have liked an oblong hole so "iPhone" can be seen, and not just "hon".

But other than that... it's truly brilliant how the slight bit of color can be seen on the front, just a sliver of a border.

Yep, that "hon" showing thru does seem to be a small mis-step. :)

• Reply 15 of 19

They need to run a comedic Ad from the perspective of the foiled iOS7 phone thief. 

• Reply 16 of 19
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,320moderator
    pendergast wrote: »

Yep, that "hon" showing thru does seem to be a small mis-step. :)

It's "non", French for "no":

When you hold it up and ask yourself "should I buy this really bright color phone with sickly contrasting color case?", you look at the back and there's your answer. Then by the process of elimination, you get a 5S. People who are 'colorful' interpret "no" to be "yes" so they get the 5C anyway.
  • Reply 17 of 19
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Marvin wrote: »
    It's "non", French for "no":

When you hold it up and ask yourself "should I buy this really bright color phone with sickly contrasting color case?", you look at the back and there's your answer. Then by the process of elimination, you get a 5S. People who are 'colorful' interpret "no" to be "yes" so they get the 5C anyway.

Actually, you're on to something there. As I make my way through The Master and His Emissary, I keep finding more guideposts for understanding the aesthetic revolution that Jobs, Ive and Apple have brought to personal computing.

The 5c colors and combinations appeal to those with right hemisphere orientation. They break rules, which the right hemisphere has little use for. You're seeing the Bohemian "non" through the curtain there.

The left brain would like to see a phone in British Racing Green, or at least Forest Green, for example, because it longs for order, not chaos.

Apple knows what it's doing. We live in an era of right-brain ascendency, left-brain retirement, but more prevalently among the young.

I'm holding out for a more saturated green or black myself. I'm a very conventional quasi-Bohemian. At least during the week.
  • Reply 18 of 19
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Blah ads.

And colorful and fun ads. Note in this one how the colors in one scene are picked up and echoed in the next scene. The pouring plastic in the other ad is one of the most delicious-looking flows of liquid I have ever seen. Polymeric eroticism at its finest.

These will sell phones, but mostly to the susceptible.