Apple's pricier iPhone 5s reportedly outsells more affordable iPhone 5c by wide margin

Comments

• Reply 21 of 56
    piotpiot Posts: 1,346member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Breaking down adoption of the latest iPhones by carriers, Localytics unsurprisingly found that AT&T was the most popular choice for users.

"Unsurprisingly" they didn't!

Verizon 37% of US market AT&T.... 27%.

• Reply 22 of 56
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

The 3GS and 4 tech can't run iOS 7 properly.

You'd better tell Apple that quick. They've mistakenly released iOS 7 for the iPhone 4! :p

• Reply 23 of 56
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    richl wrote: »
    You'd better tell Apple that quick. They've mistakenly released iOS 7 for the iPhone 4! :p
    Ok. As compared to the 5. :) and the 4 may not run iOS 8.
  • Reply 24 of 56
    richl wrote: »

I think by properly for the 4 he means "fully". It's starting to be a big gap between what it can't do compared to latest.

I'm gutted my 1 year old iPad missed out on support for air drop, and my old 4 was starting to feel a bit creaky, and a long way off what I'd expect Apple to release.
  • Reply 25 of 56
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    rogifan wrote: »
    Why is this even news? Of course 5S is going to be more popular on launch weekend. 5C isn't the kind of phone that people have to have NOW. But I'm sure over time it will sell very well and will probably be Christmas gifts for lots of people.

techguy911 wrote: »
    Yes, but what's the point of designing, manufacturing, and selling a second less expensive model when it's barely less expensive than the flagship phone?  Who's going to buy the 5C?  The thing still costs $550 off-contract.

What you're both missing is that, if the figures are correct, the 5C still sold over 2 M phones in one weekend. How many other phones sold that many in 3 days?

The 5C was a very successful product launch. And when you consider that it contains previous -generation internals (and most phone buyers prefer the latest internals), it's an even more impressive launch - and suggests that it is, and will continue to be, successful.

The problem is that you're comparing it to the incredibly successful iPhone 5S launch - 7 M phones sold in one weekend - rather than comparing it to every other phone on the market.
  • Reply 26 of 56
    Yes, but what's the point of designing, manufacturing, and selling a second less expensive model when it's barely less expensive than the flagship phone?  Who's going to buy the 5C?  The thing still costs $550 off-contract.

Apple should have designed a phone that is equivalent to the 3S or 4 in specs and features.  With today's technology I would think that is doable at a very low cost and be able to sell the phone at $400 off-contract and free on-contract.  And I wouldn't consider a 3S or 4 junk.

Uh huh. So Apple shows that the 3.4 times as many people want the latest, top end phone as one that's a single generation behind - and you take that as evidence that they should produce one that's 3 or 4 generations old? Amazing how people manage to delude themselves.

Let's get it right. Apple doesn't sell outdated junk. Period.

However, I have an open mind. If you can show evidence that you know more about product development, branding, and marketing than Apple, I'll be willing to listen to you.
    saarek wrote: »
    Hardly surprising, the 5c is over priced. Should have made it $50 - 100 cheaper.

Apple decided to increase margins instead of keeping them the same, the 5c is undoubtedly cheaper to produce than the iPhone 5 was. Had the iPhone 5c not been released then the iPhone 5 would be priced at the same.

The 5c is a lovely phone, it really is but Apple have been greedy.

And, yet, 2 M people bought one in the first weekend. How many of the thousands of Android phones that you keep touting did so well?
  • Reply 27 of 56

Apple should have designed a phone that is equivalent to the 3S or 4 in specs and features.  With today's technology I would think that is doable at a very low cost and be able to sell the phone at $400 off-contract and free on-contract.  And I wouldn't consider a 3S or 4 junk.

Another guy who knows better than Apple.

No matter what Apple does or says the Monday morners are out there second guessing. 9 million phones when all the crybabies were predicting a poor sales weekend until FRIDAY actually arrived. Look at Fortune and all you wannabes. Disgusting. Apple's logistics was way ahead of everyone else and to tell the truth, I believe Apple's analysts are 10X better than any analysts others there who are predicting the future. Nothing innovative? Crappy colors? Nothing new? Go home and buy stock in Google.
  • Reply 28 of 56
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Ok. As compared to the 5. image and the 4 may not run iOS 8.

I believe you don't need the "may" word.

• Reply 29 of 56
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,523member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Uh huh. So Apple shows that the 3.4 times as many people want the latest, top end phone as one that's a single generation behind - and you take that as evidence that they should produce one that's 3 or 4 generations old? Amazing how people manage to delude themselves.

Let's get it right. Apple doesn't sell outdated junk. Period.

However, I have an open mind. If you can show evidence that you know more about product development, branding, and marketing than Apple, I'll be willing to listen to you.

And, yet, 2 M people bought one in the first weekend. How many of the thousands of Android phones that you keep touting did so well?

I have not touted any Android phones, I'm not even an Android user.

I am not criticizing the design, build quality or feature set of the iPhone 5c. It’s a good phone that will make anyone that owns it very happy.

Having said that and as per my previous comment I strongly believe that Apple has been greedy with respect to the pricing of the handset.

In previous years the top of the line iPhone would be moved down a notch to be superseded, had the iPhone 5c not been released then you would be able to buy the iPhone 5 at the same price point.

The plastic case has the benefit of being cheaper and easier to produce than the metal case of the iPhone 5, the technology is now a year old and so naturally cheaper and easier to produce.

The 5c likely represents the highest margined iDevice that Apple has ever sold and yes, I feel this is both greedy and a mistake.

• Reply 30 of 56

I am not criticizing the design, build quality or feature set of the iPhone 5c. It’s a good phone that will make anyone that owns it very happy.

Having said that and as per my previous comment I strongly believe that Apple has been greedy with respect to the pricing of the handset.

In previous years the top of the line iPhone would be moved down a notch to be superseded, had the iPhone 5c not been released then you would be able to buy the iPhone 5 at the same price point.

The plastic case has the benefit of being cheaper and easier to produce than the metal case of the iPhone 5, the technology is now a year old and so naturally cheaper and easier to produce.

The 5c likely represents the highest margined iDevice that Apple has ever sold and yes, I feel this is both greedy and a mistake.

You are being unbelievably ridiculous in your "greedy" comment. You undo some of what you wrote in the preceding paragraphs. You can feel whatever you want, "greedy" or not, you and any other DO NOT have to buy it! I've been in business a long time and those who make comments like this are BASICALLY saying, I own an iPhone, but why should I have to buy another and pay for it all over again? Maybe you don't have the money and that's what drives your greed comment. I don't have a smart phone nor a need for one. But when I do, I will pay the price.
  • Reply 31 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by saarek View Post

That's an interesting point.  I don't think there is a consensus yet on the iPhone 5 vs iPhone 5C.  From what I can see the 5C has the same specs but has the plastic case vs metal case.  So there is something to be said that you're getting less than in previous years where the previous gen phone was $100 less.

• Reply 32 of 56

Yes, it's probably slightly less expensive to produce, but it's also selling for $100 less than the iPhone 5 did a week ago.

In the end, you don't have any clue what Apple's costs are. You don't know what their margins are. You don't know what their business projections are. You don't know anything except that you want cheaper products.

And, even though you insist that the 5C is overpriced, its launch weekend was one of the best 3 day sales for any phone in history (probably about #3 or 4). I don't think Apple has to justify anything to you.

As soon as you can demonstrate that you know more about Apple's business than they do, then your whining might have some credibility.
  • Reply 33 of 56
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,523member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bobbyfozz View Post

You are being unbelievably ridiculous in your "greedy" comment. You undo some of what you wrote in the preceding paragraphs. You can feel whatever you want, "greedy" or not, you and any other DO NOT have to buy it! I've been in business a long time and those who make comments like this are BASICALLY saying, I own an iPhone, but why should I have to buy another and pay for it all over again? Maybe you don't have the money and that's what drives your greed comment. I don't have a smart phone nor a need for one. But when I do, I will pay the price.

Well, you are welcome to your opinion and I am entitled to mine. Perhaps you do not see increasing margins that are already the highest in the industry (by a large margin I might add) as greedy, but I do.

I'm a long term Apple user and remember well what happened to Apple in the 90's when they decided to coast on their brand name and reputation by keeping obscene margins on outdated hardware. Apple plays well in the top end of the market and their devices are second to none in the areas that really count, I do not have dreams of Apple being number one in market share for smart phones, but stand by my assertion that they have over priced the 5c.

I won't dignify your comment regarding my ability to be able afford or not afford a new iPhone with an answer.

• Reply 34 of 56
    well, I don't think its a fair comparison between the 5c&5s! 5c is just a recasing iPhone 5 and assuming if the ratio is true, apple just sold more than 2 million units of an old iPhone on the opening weekend..........that's pretty brilliant!!!!
  • Reply 35 of 56

The point is that the old iphone 5 did not have the LTE chip for the new China carrier that is going to be selling the iphone. So instead of now selling a $100-less iphone 5 that is incompatible with the wotld's largest carrier, they can sell the $100-less iphone 5c which is compatible.
  • Reply 36 of 56
    matrix07 wrote: »
    I believe you don't need the "may" word.

So true but I don't have any links to back that up.
    Well, you are welcome to your opinion and I am entitled to mine. Perhaps you do not see increasing margins that are already the highest in the industry (by a large margin I might add) as greedy, but I do.

I'm a long term Apple user and remember well what happened to Apple in the 90's when they decided to coast on their brand name and reputation by keeping obscene margins on outdated hardware. Apple plays well in the top end of the market and their devices are second to none in the areas that really count, I do not have dreams of Apple being number one in market share for smart phones, but stand by my assertion that they have over priced the 5c.

I won't dignify your comment regarding my ability to be able afford or not afford a new iPhone with an answer.

Blah blah blah. Apple got in trouble in the 90s because they weren't selling Macs well. Can't say that about the idevices. I believe Apple knows how to price its products better than outsiders.
  • Reply 37 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by techguy911 View Post

I think the pricing was very shrewd on Apple's part.  Apple has the 'Apple Army' that are going to flock and buy all things Apple when they are released.  If they priced the 4c lower, it may have cannibalized the 5s sales.   Most people who 'need' the 5s are going to buy it this week, this month, or at the latest this quarter- depending on their degree of Apple crackheadedness (and I mean that in a good way).  With the pricing this close, the crackheads are definitely going to pick up the 5s because there isn't a big price gap.  Once the spike is over Apple will lower the 5c pricing to where it might get a few bargain shoppers into Apples ecosystem who might have otherwise gone Android.

In order to truly compete with the low end phones, Apple would have to build hardware that could barely if even run iOS7.  There is a reason manufacturers still make Gingerbread phones- it has almost zilch for hardware reqs.  I can understand Apple not choosing to do that, they'd have to fragment their ecosystem- but it does mean they cede the low end market to Android.  I'm not sure if its Kit Kat or the next rev in the works that will build upon the same kernel so it will support both the low end and high end android phones.  That might put some pressure on Apple as it will take care of fragmentation from the developers perspective and might put Android over the developer tipping point.

With 9mil sales I don't think Apple is any real danger any time soon.

• Reply 38 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AnalogJack View Post

The 5c price does seem a little close to the 5s, Apple erred in not setting the price of the 5s higher.

9 million units sold. Some error.

• Reply 39 of 56
    frood wrote: »
    I think the pricing was very shrewd on Apple's part.  Apple has the 'Apple Army' that are going to flock and buy all things Apple when they are released.  If they priced the 4c lower, it may have cannibalized the 5s sales.   Most people who 'need' the 5s are going to buy it this week, this month, or at the latest this quarter- depending on their degree of Apple crackheadedness (and I mean that in a good way).  With the pricing this close, the crackheads are definitely going to pick up the 5s because there isn't a big price gap.  Once the spike is over Apple will lower the 5c pricing to where it might get a few bargain shoppers into Apples ecosystem who might have otherwise gone Android.

Total nonsense.

The 5S is behaving like every other Apple iPhone. They sell a ton of them the first weekend and then continue to sell tons of them all year - until the next model comes out. And they have never cut the price mid-year (other than the first iPhone which was probably too expensive to start since there was no subsidy).
  • Reply 40 of 56
    What's the point of slightly less expensive phone? It brings only a confusion to the product lineup. Instead Apple should have put an effort into a 5" model as a second option.