Apple announces sales of 9 million iPhone 5s & 5c units in first 3 days

Comments

• Reply 121 of 219
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    shard wrote: »
    I think 9 million sold over 3 days is an amazing number, but the point some are trying to make here is that they did not sell more than last year because they are selling in more countries.

It is a matter of perception.

If you removed the new tier 1 release countries like China from the equation, how many iPhones will Apple have sold? That is the true number if you want to compare it with last year.

Some are seeing it as buffing up the number by launching in more countries initially and then sales will taper off more rapidly because there are now less countries to pick up the slack in 2nd, 3rd and 4th tier etc launches.

IF Apple were to sell 100 million phones this quarter. Will it make a difference if 9 million are sold in the first 3 days and the other 91 million in remaining quarter or if Apple sold 5 million in the first 3 days and the other 95 million in the remaining quarter? Both add up to 100 million but the first sounds alot better.
    Again I say so what? Wall Street knew Apple's initial launch included two more countries and they still didn't predict 9M sales. Gene Munster's prediction was 5-6M. Fact is Apple exceeded expectations , hence why the stock is up today.
  • Reply 122 of 219
    The line up of peole waiting (last photo) looks like a bunch of homeless people.
  • Reply 123 of 219
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Wow, it took a month for the Galaxy S4 to reach that level:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-57592104-94/samsung-galaxy-s4-sales-top-20-million-units-report-says/

10 million in 1 month, 20 million in 2 months. The iPhone reached 9 million in 3 days. Although that's two models, the 5S is clearly outselling the 5C. Time for an S5 already Samsung after just 4 months? The last attempt was disappointing:

http://www.knowyourmobile.com/samsung/samsung-galaxy-s4/20628/disappointing-samsung-galaxy-s4-sales-make-q2-look-dismal
    old-wiz wrote:
    The line up of peole waiting (last photo) looks like a bunch of homeless people.

Some people have to sell their homes to afford one. Worth it though.
  • Reply 124 of 219
    It was interesting to read the Apple Hater reactions on CNET. They fell in to 2 categories: insults ("iSheep", "9 million idiots"" etc) and denial ("9 million divided by TWO new phones = 4.5 million each, less than last year!", "Without the addition of China on launch day they would have sold less than last year!" etc)
  • Reply 125 of 219
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Well I think he's quoting Bugs Bunny with "maroon."

Exactly...

• Reply 126 of 219
    Quote:

Originally Posted by old-wiz View Post

Maybe they are.

Scalpers have been known to pay homeless people to wait in line at Apple launches.

A fight even broke out in Cali during the recent iPhone launch, because some scalper scumbag didn't pay some of the homeless people that were standing in line for him.
  • Reply 127 of 219
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Maybe they are.

Scalpers have been known to pay homeless people to wait in line at Apple launches.

A fight even broke out in Cali during the recent iPhone launch, because some scalper scumbag didn't pay some of the homeless people that were standing in line for him.

Pasedena

• Reply 128 of 219
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jd_in_sb View Post

It was interesting to read the Apple Hater reactions on CNET. They fell in to 2 categories: insults ("iSheep", "9 million idiots"" etc) and denial ("9 million divided by TWO new phones = 4.5 million each, less than last year!", "Without the addition of China on launch day they would have sold less than last year!" etc)

If buying the best smart phone ever made makes somebody an idiot, then I wonder what buying some cheap, outdated, inferior, malware infested Android junk which is soon going to end up in a landfill makes somebody?

The people hating are jealous, that's simple human psychology right there. Pathetic people, and I hereby doom them all to a life of misery and Android devices.
  • Reply 129 of 219

Yeah, that was the story that I remember reading.

Thanks for the link!
  • Reply 130 of 219
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    stylorouge wrote: »
    I find it hard to believe. I believe is not selling as well as described above and that Apple and blogs try to create hype to boost sales. Also I believe Apple intentionally released The iPhones with low inventory so that can show that it is sold out. The new iPhones are the worst upgrades ever and iOS7 is slow and lagging. The OS reminds me of a clown OS and Fisher Price toys.

I hope you managed to get your address right when you signed up with Samsung to trol the nets. After all you wouldn't want your paycheck to get lost in the mail.
  • Reply 131 of 219
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member

They sold more in 3 days than Google/Nexus did all year long.  Oops.

• Reply 132 of 219
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MarkyMarc43 View Post

I think some bridge is missing you there, bud.

Another Samsung hack no doubt....

I don't think even Samsung will pay for that. It's just a dumb fandroid.

• Reply 133 of 219
    rgfsteed wrote: »
    Those who "can" are successful, those who "can't" are analysts.

-Robin

And those who envy and wish to tear down the achievement of those who can, troll on forums. :)
  • Reply 134 of 219
    Originally Posted by KC_150 View Post
    Short APPL and buy it back at $99

Hey, please do. I’ll actually be able to buy some then. Forever will I kick myself for not buying in 2003.

Originally Posted by drblank View Post

Wait, really?

• Reply 135 of 219

As a well-known analyst, I had predicted Apple selling slightly more than 9 billion iPhones in that weekend. The announced numbers are quite a fail to me, let the APPLE STOCK fall even more. /s

• Reply 136 of 219
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member
    Hey, did you notice (probably not) that Microsoft just announced a new Surface Pro 2 tablet? It's now got a TWO position kick stand!!!!!!!!!! Instead of it going click, it goes Click, Click.

OMG Hold back the lines of people trampling over each other to buy them!!!!
  • Reply 137 of 219
    old-wiz wrote: »

Perhaps Samsung can insult Apple line-waiters with that. Nothing wins over the hearts and minds of Fandroids more than a juicy ad attacking iPhone users as stupid idiots who look like homeless people. It's brilliant marketing. :)
  • Reply 138 of 219
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Hey! The 2nd gen of the Microsoft Surface is being unveiled today! Anyone want to head over to the presentation? Anyone... Hello!

I can envision the product ramp for this baby ... they hired one guy for a week to build their launch supply.

• Reply 139 of 219
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I just hopped on cnet's website and its wall to wall coverage of the new Surface tablet. Not one mention on the first page about iPhone sales. Just complete surface hype even though they didn't announce anything people didn't announce anything that wasn't predicted and the design is basically the same (something Apple always gets knocked for) except now it also comes in white (ooh so original). Talk about bias. Obviously Wall Street doesn't care as the stock is flat so far today.

yeah, eight articles about the new Surface! (ok there are two versions)! the lead article headline is:

Surface 2 declassified: How Microsoft made Surface into the tablet the world said it wanted

gush much?

we can compare this with its coverage of the new iPads launch next month ...
  • Reply 140 of 219
    drblank wrote: »

Open!!!!
    matrix07 wrote: »
    I don't think even Samsung will pay for that. It's just a dumb fandroid.

You'd be surprised.
    alfiejr wrote: »
    yeah, eight articles about the new Surface! (ok there are two versions)! the lead article headline is:
    <h1 style="border:0px;clear:both;color:rgb(57,67,76);margin-bottom:7px;margin-top:5px;padding-bottom:0px;text-align:left;vertical-align:baseline;">[SIZE=18px]Surface 2 declassified: How Microsoft made Surface into the tablet the world said it wanted[/SIZE]</h1>

gush much?
    we can compare this with its coverage of the new iPads launch next month ...

The headline was cut off. Add "...as a frisbee."