Microsoft outs new Surface 2, Surface Pro 2 in latest pitch to tablet generation

Comments

• Reply 21 of 95

Now that’s what I call innovation /s

Seriously, Microsoft released those offensive videos mocking Apple’s design process, then have the nerve to release this repackaged crap.

• Reply 22 of 95
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

Apple.

It is not only their tablet that needs a kick-stand, but MSFT as a whole too ....
  • Reply 23 of 95

This is well done and looks really cool. It highlights what's good without going back over and over about how you can do so much with it. It just focuses on one thing. Only one tweak needed - cover up the Microsoft logo. ;)   

Seriously, I'm surprised about how Windows isn't even mentioned. The fact that it's a Microsoft product is fairly subtle. It's possible for Microsoft to release good (maybe even fantastic) stuff but they've knee-capped themselves by holding onto their legacy. It's not a crime but it is holding them back in some cases. And there's no dancing dorks in this video.

• Reply 24 of 95
    davemcm76 wrote: »
    ... a huge compromise between being a thick heavy tablet and a poor keyboardless notebook and there is still _THAT_ UI to deal with.

Precisely my sentiments.

Microsoft is so out-of-touch with reality.

There is a reason why many people go for at least 13 inch notebook PC if they want to get real work done regularly.
    The UI of Windows and Windows app are not suitable for smaller screen.

If Microsoft hopes to move surface, they have to re-design Windows and Office applications.

At this juncture, the surface is not an ideal tablet due to the UI which is ideal for PC with keyboard/mouse (assuming some people can live with the weight), it is also not a decent workhorse due to the smaller screen and the UI.

If I need to get work done often enough, I am better off buying an 11 inch notebook PC if I want a small form factor.
  • Reply 25 of 95
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AdeFowler View Post

Now that’s what I call innovation /s

Seriously, Microsoft released those offensive videos mocking Apple’s design process, then have the nerve to release this repackaged crap.

These are more like RT 1.5 and Pro 1.5

• Reply 26 of 95

Hey, Microsoft had to be encouraged - all 9 people in the audience at the media event really liked the new machines!

• Reply 27 of 95
    Microsoft is marketing the accessories instead of the product? It seems natural to me then that the product doesn't have much going for it.
  • Reply 28 of 95
    Where are the apps! A tablet without a robust app collection. Get ready for the next write down.
  • Reply 29 of 95

Microsoft: "Here's our new Surface 2 and Surface Pro 2 everybody!"

Tablet generation: "There was a 1?"

• Reply 30 of 95

How many billions of a markdown will Ballmer Inc. take this time?

• Reply 31 of 95

Shouldn't a company with a failed product be completely redesigning that product from scratch (or make something else instead)?

• Reply 32 of 95

And doesn't this Surface re-release once and for all emphasize that MS is completely lost in the new (but not really new, since 2007 or 2008) mobile landscape?

• Reply 33 of 95
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Who wants to do real work on a 10" 16:9 tablet? And what are 16:9 tablets good for other than watching movies?
  • Reply 34 of 95
    Microsoft produced four generations of the Zune before giving up on that failed device. It poisons the well when you start out with a dud that no one wants to go near again.
  • Reply 35 of 95
    So riddle me this, Microsoft manages to get Haswell into this POS-2, yet the rMBP STILL doesn't have it yet. 

I wouldn't be surprised if the rMBP still gets haswell before the surface. Untill Microsoft releases the thing, it's still vaporware, and the rMBPs are due for an upgrade soon.
  • Reply 36 of 95

What was Einstein referring to when he talked about "doing the same thing over and over while expecting different results" again?

• Reply 37 of 95
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Who wants to do real work on a 10" 16:9 tablet? And what are 16:9 tablets good for other than watching movies?

Surface Pro 2 has a dock allowing two monitors to be connected. I think you can get work done on those......

• Reply 38 of 95
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleZilla View Post

How many billions of a markdown will Ballmer Inc. take this time?

None.... He'll be gone!

• Reply 39 of 95
    Innovation!

Wait....
  • Reply 40 of 95
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thataveragejoe View Post

So riddle me this, Microsoft manages to get Haswell into this POS-2, yet the rMBP STILL doesn't have it yet. 

And you know Apple doesn't have a Haswell rMBP refresh lined up for release later this year based on what information exactly?