Microsoft outs new Surface 2, Surface Pro 2 in latest pitch to tablet generation

Comments

• Reply 41 of 95
    Here's what you need, as documented on MS website, to run Windows 7:

1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processor

1 gigabyte (GB) RAM (32-bit) or 2 GB RAM (64-bit)

16 GB available hard disk space (32-bit) or 20 GB (64-bit)

DirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM 1.0 or higher driver

You ain't getting that in the chip inside the surface. The tablets in question aren't built with the robust architecture as a traditional fully featured pc/laptop.
    And Apple doesn't tout the iPad as being able to run like a macbook pro.
    So MS can release SURFER PRO OR IS YO MAMA A PRO all day and it won't mean a darn thing.
  • Reply 42 of 95
    Quote:

Originally Posted by faZZter View Post

Surface Pro 2 has a dock allowing two monitors to be connected. I think you can get work done on those......

So does my Mac Mini.  What's your point, again?

• Reply 43 of 95
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PScooter63 View Post

Quote:

Surface Pro 2 has a dock allowing two monitors to be connected. I think you can get work done on those......

So does my Mac Mini.  What's your point, again?

Well first of all, your mac mini isn't a tablet. So what's your point exactly?

• Reply 44 of 95
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    So when are they released? 

Is… is this going to be another Osborne? Oh, PLEASE let it be another Osborne.

“But you’d have to have people actually wanting the first model for that to be the case.”

Not necessarily. How big was Osborne, anyway? :lol:

Windows 8 doesn’t run well with 29 GB of RAM…

I'd forgot about that thing. I had one, everyone thought I had a portable sewing machine with me.
  • Reply 45 of 95
    thomprthompr Posts: 1,521member
    Quote:

So then you have to add the price of the dock, external monitor, and true keyboard to arrive at the price of a configuration to do real work on. (Yes I know you can just reuse an old monitor, but that has value too.)  But that's not how they market the Surface Pro.  They market it as something you can run legacy Windows applications (such as Office) on straight out of the box.  Left unsaid is what a poor experience that would be on a tiny screen.

Microsoft is truly clueless.  The sooner they can get all of their services in the cloud and cut bait with the mobile version of Windows OS, the better.  Ballmer never could wrap his mind around the fact that "Windows Everywhere" is actually not a good strategy.

Thompson

• Reply 46 of 95
    Quote:

Well, it sounded like you might be advocating that you need an external monitor or two in order to be productive on your tablet.

• Reply 47 of 95
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thompr View Post

Quote:

So then you have to add the price of the dock, external monitor, and true keyboard to arrive at the price of a configuration to do real work on. (Yes I know you can just reuse an old monitor, but that has value too.)  But that's not how they market the Surface Pro.  They market it as something you can run legacy Windows applications (such as Office) on straight out of the box.  Left unsaid is what a poor experience that would be on a tiny screen.

Microsoft is truly clueless.  The sooner they can get all of their services in the cloud and cut bait with the mobile version of Windows OS, the better.  Ballmer never could wrap his mind around the fact that "Windows Everywhere" is actually not a good strategy.

Thompson

I realize this is not what a lot of people want in a tablet. For some that need to use more powerful applications and want portability this may be a good choice. As soon as you can dock your mac mini and then take it with you to a meeting (on battery power) etc, etc, let me know. Still looking for that built in display on the mini too.

• Reply 48 of 95
    fazzter wrote: »

Defeats the purpose of a tablet, doesn't it?

Second kickstand position = innovation. /s

Now that the landfills in NM are filled with ET games and Surface tablets, I guess Nevada should get prepping for these failures.
  • Reply 49 of 95
    Well, I guess there's no flop so big that you can't top it on your next effort...
  • Reply 50 of 95
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PScooter63 View Post

Quote:

Well, it sounded like you might be advocating that you need an external monitor or two in order to be productive on your tablet.

Ok I get you. Yes there is added cost to get to that setup to get "real" work done. Certainly we can agree working on large spreadsheets or whatever isn't ideal on a 10" display.

• Reply 51 of 95
    "...graphics performance by 50 percent and battery life by 75 percent. Overall performance is said to be up 20 percent..."

It really takes a rocket scientist to figure out why S2 could be successful...
  • Reply 52 of 95
    thomprthompr Posts: 1,521member
    Quote:

I realize this is not what a lot of people want in a tablet. For some that need to use more powerful applications and want portability this may be a good choice. As soon as you can dock your mac mini and then take it with you to a meeting (on battery power) etc, etc, let me know. Still looking for that built in display on the mini too.

I'm not the one that mentioned a Mini.  I would think it would be more appropriate to compare an iPad docking solution (which perhaps doesn't exist yet... at least not with mouse support instead of touch) or a MacBook Air with dock.  (A bit more expensive than the Surface Pro, but not much more on a percentage basis, considering the overall cost of accessories, and a much better solution overall).

There's no two ways about it:  getting a Surface Pro to do "real work" will bring with it a lot more cost and hassle than Microsoft would have you believe.

Thompson
  • Reply 53 of 95
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Quote:

Defeats the purpose of a tablet, doesn't it?

Second kickstand position = innovation. /s

Now that the landfills in NM are filled with ET games and Surface tablets, I guess Nevada should get prepping for these failures.

"Defeats the purpose of a tablet, doesn't it?"

Not really. You can still take it with you for other purposes, doesn't have to be using apps that require a large monitor to use efficiently.

• Reply 54 of 95
    A few things stick out in my mind
    Microsoft <a href="http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/07/18/google-misses-q2-earnings-estimates-despite-revenue-and-profit-rise-microsoft-loses-900m-on-surface-rt">wrote down $900 million</a> on the initial run of Surface RT devices due to poor sales.

The entire first generation of Surface devices is believed to have generated <a href="appleinsider.com/articles/13/07/30/microsoft-surface-revenue-at-853m-less-than-write-down-and-associated-ad-spend">about $853 million</a> for Microsoft, with the Surface Pro accounting for most of that revenue.
    laptop-tablet hybrid has only seen one major design shift: the addition of a second possible position for its built-in kickstand.

Still all over the kickstand and now 3 keyboard covers. Sad when this is what they have to hype about re: the design. No mention of display quality, screen sensativity etc. Just new keyboards and the kickstand
    Internally, though, the Surface Pro 2 has several considerable upgrades. In terms of storage, the device is now available in 256GB and 512GB configurations as well as the 64GB and 128GB options consumers had with the original Surface Pro. The devices also have the option of 8GB of RAM.

Perhaps most importantly, the Surface Pro 2 has significantly more battery life than its predecessor. Microsoft updated the device with Intel's new Haswell line of processors.

Well they are pushing it was a laptop in tablet form so some laptop strength internals are nice
    . The firm also showed off a mixing-pad attachment that clicks onto the Surface, giving users the ability to remix their own music on the go.

Cue more of the dubstep commercials.
  • Reply 55 of 95
    They actually made the ARM version MORE confusing for consumers, by dropping the 'RT'. Now it's just Surface and Surface Pro, so people have even less idea that there is a fundamental difference between the two.
  • Reply 56 of 95

Not a shock. There are Windows/office fanbois

That said, I've used iWork on the iPad and it's far from perfect. The desktop version would be fine if it mirrored the 'in the cloud' at least in terms of UI. Both need some plug in power for things like MathType, more templates (esp the iOS versions) to really take on Office
  • Reply 57 of 95
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member
    Click............. Click. OMG, yet one more position on the kickstand.

And I'm sure a handful of people will line up 5 minutes before the doors open to buy one.
  • Reply 58 of 95
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member

I want to get the one with half a terabyte of memory.  How much is that going to set me back?  I'm too lazy to actually go to the MS site to find out.

• Reply 59 of 95
    It has always intrigued me why "working" is praised so highly. Perhaps the people who own us want it that way? I prefer to play rather than working all day making money for the owners of production. At least I can choose whether to work or play with an iPad. On a surface I suppose the slaves can "work" or do break dancing on the corporate board room table!
  • Reply 60 of 95
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by malax View Post

I want to get the one with half a terabyte of memory.  How much is that going to set me back?  I'm too lazy to actually go to the MS site to find out.

I love it, the Surface 2 is available for pre-order tomorrow at 8am.  But the link that announces this goes nowhere.  You can't actually "get ready" like it promises.  http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/en_US/DisplayHomePage