Rumor: World's largest carrier China Mobile begins producing advertising collateral for iPhone 5c, 5

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Long-rumored Apple carrier partner China Mobile has begun readying advertising materials for 3G variants of Apple's iPhone 5s and 5c, according to a new report out of the middle kingdom.

A poster advertising the upcoming availability of the iPhone 5s and 5c from China Mobile has been spotted on the mainland, according to Chinese media conglomerate Sina's Sina Tech. If legitimate, the poster would represent the first official acknowledgement of the long-rumored deal that would send Apple's iPhone to the world's largest mobile carrier and its 740 million subscribers.

The poster touts the 3G variant of the newly released handsets, suggesting that the carrier may be angling to open sales of the devices sooner rather than later. While the iPhone has gained approval from China's Ministry of Industry and Information Technology to operate on China Mobile's 4G TD-LTE network, the Chinese government has yet to issue 4G operating licenses to carriers and there is no word on when those licenses may be handed down.

As a result, China Mobile must either wait for the government to approve its 4G operations and risk losing further revenue-inflating iPhone sales to rivals China Unicom and China Telecom or begin offering the iPhone only on the company's 3G TD-SCDMA network. The report speculates that China Mobile will choose the latter course, enabling the iPhone's 4G TD-LTE capabilities with a software update after the proper operating licenses are granted.

The flagship iPhone 5s, featuring Apple's updated A7 processor, new Touch ID biometric security, and redesigned camera -- along with the mid-range iPhone 5c with its new, colorful polycarbonate shell -- have amassed record-breaking sales numbers in their first weekend of availability. Last week's release was the first in which China was included as a launch country, and reservations for purchase of the new smartphones were quickly depleted across the country.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 39
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member
    Now you are going to see some HUGE sales numbers once they sign on China Mobile. I'm sure they would sell 9 million in a day just from them alone.
  • Reply 2 of 39

Oh boy...

I don't like this. If things keep going this way and the 5c takes off to outsell the 5s during the year, Apple will never be forced to make a bigger screen iPhone.

Me happy but me also sad.

• Reply 3 of 39
    Oh boy...

I don't like this. If things keep going this way and the 5c takes off to outsell the 5s during the year, Apple will never be forced to make a bigger screen iPhone.

Me happy but me also sad.

<iframe width="640" height="385" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/wGSzqqcl62c" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

Apple doesn't get forced to do anything (except from the gov). I'm sure once all the compromises are worked out to Apple's satisfaction, a 4.5" iPhone will be available.

Also, there's no growth for Apple with China Mobile. /s
  • Reply 4 of 39

Zero taste, just like the rest of Chinese advertising.

At least it’s another 300,000,000 sold for Apple.

Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

If things keep going this way and the 5c takes off to outsell the 5s during the year, Apple will never be forced to make a bigger screen iPhone. 

Yeah, they’ll never be “forced” to make one, anyway. Because they don’t want to. Because it’s a terrible idea.

• Reply 5 of 39
    Apple is doomed! /s
  • Reply 6 of 39

This is by far the most ugly advertising of an Apple product I have ever seen. I just hope all the 740M China Mobile customers won't mind.

• Reply 7 of 39
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

If things keep going this way and the 5c takes off to outsell the 5s during the year, Apple will never be forced to make a bigger screen iPhone. 

Yeah, they’ll never be “forced” to make one, anyway. Because they don’t want to. Because it’s a terrible idea.

Until they sucked the 4" premium space dry and do it... Right?

Open your eyes a little and try to be a little bit rational, at least.

There's a very lucrative segment waiting for Apple. They could even price 299 on contract and up up up...

• Reply 8 of 39
    Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

Until they sucked the 4" premium space dry and do it... Right? Open your eyes a little and try to be a little bit rational, at least.

Sales, money, saturation ???????????? the reasons to make a device/the ONLY reasons to make a device.

Please do try to be rational and think about the subject matter here. Then you’ll see you can’t use a larger phone.

• Reply 9 of 39
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

Until they sucked the 4" premium space dry and do it... Right? Open your eyes a little and try to be a little bit rational, at least.

Sales, money, saturation ???????????? the reasons to make a device/the ONLY reasons to make a device.

Please do try to be rational and think about the subject matter here. Then you’ll see you can’t use a larger phone.

Like the one I use?

• Reply 10 of 39
    This news will eventually cause all those hedge fund frauds and negative, fake, doomsday 'investors' to eat crow. I love it!
  • Reply 11 of 39
    Quote:

Originally Posted by stoutie View Post

This news will eventually cause all those hedge fund frauds and negative, fake, doomsday 'investors' to eat crow. I love it!

You may enjoy this one :)

http://www.forbes.com/sites/chuckjones/2013/09/20/first-weekend-iphone-sales-could-disappoint-potentially-significantly-at-3-4-million/

• Reply 12 of 39
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    dugbug wrote: »

Someone commented that maybe he should think about retirement. His response was that there's a risk of error when forecasting. Apparently, he forgot to mention that his version of forecasting involved rolling dice.
  • Reply 13 of 39

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Someone commented that maybe he should think about retirement. His response was that there's a risk of error when forecasting. Apparently, he forgot to mention that his version of forecasting involved rolling dice.

The new pattern is for an analyst to publicly claim that Apple is doing something, then lower their AAPL forecast when Apple doesn't do that thing.  They blame Apple for their own incorrect predictions.

Of course, that only works when analysts make sh*t up about future Apple products or features or services.  When analysts lowball iPhone sales and Apple beats their lowball number, there's nobody to blame.  The lowball analyst, who was clearly attempting to manipulate AAPL down for shorters, loses esteem among investors.  The negative forecast didn't change AAPL enough for shorters to profit, so they'll ignore him/her next time.  The bears will pay some other analysts to issue negative statements about Apple and cross their fingers.  Again and again.

• Reply 14 of 39
    imo that deal is done for quite a while now, they didnt launch for technical reasons so they are not waiting anymore and will launch on there 3g network.
  • Reply 15 of 39
    These guys just don't stop. Check this idiot from Wallstreet.

http://wallstcheatsheet.com/stocks/is-apples-gold-iphone-shortage-a-scheme.html/?ref=YF

Some commentators have speculated that Apple may be deliberately throttling the gold-colored iPhone 5S supply in order to build consumer demand.

I don't get it.
  • Reply 16 of 39
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:

They already make a bigger one: the LTE iPad mini. AND no expensive voice contract! (at least an issue here in the states). Granted my lifetime talk minutes all the way back to my 3Gs? 116 minutes.... so I may be biased.

• Reply 17 of 39
    themacman wrote: »
    These guys just don't stop. Check this idiot from Wallstreet.

http://wallstcheatsheet.com/stocks/is-apples-gold-iphone-shortage-a-scheme.html/?ref=YF

Some commentators have speculated that Apple may be deliberately throttling the gold-colored iPhone 5S supply in order to build consumer demand.

I don't get it.

It's business 101: why sell actual devices when you can just hype it up. Hype pays the bills. /s
  • Reply 18 of 39
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:

Yeah.. I'm gonna go on record right now and say they will produce a larger screened phone next year. The 6S, to be precise. Feel free to call me an idiot, a moron, ridiculous, and how Apple would never do such an atrocious thing. You know, same things you said about a larger phone (the 5) and a smaller iPad (mini). Then, when it happens, I would estimate around 12 months from now, feel free not to acknowledge the fact that you were wrong, and not apologize to anyone you ridiculed for making such a prediction. A 4.5" phone is not a "terrible" idea, not matter how much you believe it. Since they now have 2 separate models, they can do this more easily. I predict the C models will stay at 4" and the S models will increase to 4.3-4.6 with the next update. Do me a favor and bookmark this post, and have a little bit of accountability and integrity in terms of what you say. 
  • Reply 19 of 39
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Yeah.. I'm gonna go on record right now and say they will produce a larger screened phone next year. The 6S, to be precise. Feel free to call me an idiot, a moron, ridiculous, and how Apple would never do such an atrocious thing. You know, same things you said about a larger phone (the 5) and a smaller iPad (mini). Then, when it happens, I would estimate around 12 months from now, feel free not to acknowledge the fact that you were wrong, and not apologize to anyone you ridiculed for making such a prediction. A 4.5" phone is not a "terrible" idea, not matter how much you believe it. Since they now have 2 separate models, they can do this more easily. I predict the C models will stay at 4" and the S models will increase to 4.3-4.6 with the next update. Do me a favor and bookmark this post, and have a little bit of accountability and integrity in terms of what you say. 

a) Anything is possible.

b) You'd be far from the first person to have called it.

Speaking for myself, I'd be fine with a slightly larger phone if it's thinner. I am also quite happy with the current size.