First look: Microsoft's second-gen Surface tablets & keyboard covers

Comments

• Reply 21 of 46

I think its funny they mock  Apple adding a "C" moniker, considering every product they produce has one, i.e. : Surface RT, Zune HD, 

Windows: Ultimate,  Enterprise, Professional, Home,  Premium, Basic, Starter

• Reply 22 of 46

Too Funny!  Another billion dollar write off coming!  These things are complete garbage.  The Microsoft Windows 8 GUI is absolutely unusable.  The cost is absurdly high. If they sold the RT for $199 they might sell some.  The Pro if priced at $299 might sell but you still have to use the horrendously bad UI...my head hurts looking at all that moving text and images, not to mention the fisher price colors.

• Reply 23 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MissionGrey View Post

I think its funny they mock  Apple adding a "C" moniker, considering every product they produce has one, i.e. : Surface RT, Zune HD, 

Windows: Ultimate,  Enterprise, Professional, Home,  Premium, Basic, Starter

It's even more amusing in light of the fact that the 5c in just one weekend has probably sold more than half as much as all Lumia sales combined for Q2 2013. That figure is around 7.4 million according to Nokia.

• Reply 24 of 46
    Well they are getting closer and closer to my ideal tablet form factor. Unfortunately the tech is not ready for what I want. I need this to be fanless with the same power and thin. I would love to have a slimmer version running photoshop and illustrator with the wacom digitizer screen and pen.
  • Reply 25 of 46
    Quote:

Originally Posted by David Dennis View Post

Geez, how much RED Epic footage can you store on even a 128gb Scarlet? I'm thinking not enough to make much of a film ...

D

19 MP/frame at 100 frame/s and you store it raw !

in 1 Gb you store 13.5 frames in 12 bits  (And that thing do 12 and 16 bits).  So taking in account the 32 Gb the system and office should take (and I'm probably optimistic), at full resolution you can store 96*13.5/100 seconds or 21.5% of 1 min !!!

Even at max lossy compression of 18:1 it is really not much indeed

• Reply 26 of 46
    mhiklmhikl Posts: 471member
    "Panay took his share of swipes at Apple at the event, portraying Microsoft's Surface lineup as a platform intended for users who want to create content, rather than just consume it. When unveiling new colors for the company's updated keyboard covers, he also joked that Microsoft didn't need to put the letter "c" after the product's name ??a reference to Apple's just-released iPhone 5c."

How about the letter 'f' for size?:smokey:

And . . .

Coming desperately, so sad, after The Apple Event, with show models for pic taking only is telling. Desperately sad I should venture, pleading, "wait, don't get an Apple quite yet!" :no:
  • Reply 27 of 46

Another version of a product consumers don't care about. 

Bravo. 

• Reply 28 of 46

It really doesn't matter how good this thing is. The hardware isn't the full story.

• Reply 29 of 46
    quadra 610 wrote: »
    Another version of a product consumers don't care about. 

Bravo. 

Hey that's not fair. There was a guy who knew a guy who knew a guy who's third cousin twice removed waited all day to get the first Zune RT at his local Microsoft store!

Oh wait, my bad. He was only there for the concert tickets.
  • Reply 30 of 46
    Originally Posted by Evilution View Post
    It really doesn't matter how good this thing is. The hardware isn't the full story.

A quantum tablet with a holographic UI from Microsoft would still be trash.

And yet the Android crowd will perpetually behave as though the iPhone is a supermodel missing a leg. “She gets by in ads for shirts, shampoo, makeup and nail polish, but she’ll never walk on the runway with the big girls.”

• Reply 31 of 46
    wait til xmas...half off
  • Reply 32 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tommy0guns View Post

wait til xmas...half off

And yet they'll still be a ripoff. $99 and we'll talk.

• Reply 33 of 46
    noahjnoahj Posts: 4,503member
    mikejones wrote: »
    Why? If they do end up failing, what possible reason would anyone have to buy an unsupported tablet that will never see a refresh or any real software development? This was exactly the reason I steered clear of the HP tablet when they dropped the price to ridiculously low just to get them out the door. I just don't see the draw... :\
  • Reply 34 of 46
    Originally Posted by MikeJones View Post

Good deal. I’d let them pay me $99 to take one off their hands, just as long as they don’t legally get to count it in the number sold.

• Reply 35 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NoahJ View Post

Why? If they do end up failing, what possible reason would anyone have to buy an unsupported tablet that will never see a refresh or any real software development? This was exactly the reason I steered clear of the HP tablet when they dropped the price to ridiculously low just to get them out the door. I just don't see the draw... image

Didn't say I'd actually buy one. Just that I'd at least consider it at $99 in case I happen to just have $99 I absolutely must spend.

• Reply 36 of 46
    As a tech user, not a brand user (read:not religiously devoted to any one company), I picked up the Surface RT for $349, bought the true type cover and upgraded to Windows 8.1RT CP. AS a tablet, there are things that the surface is just more convenient to do than my iPad(s). Now before you jump on me, I didn't say it was BETTER than the iPad as an overall product (but I expect it since this is appleinsider, but hey they WENT to the Surface 2 press event, so :P ).

From a purely work / college device where email, office and social integration are important, the Surface RT is easier to use (once you get used to Windows 8) and more practical (and Office is included in the price). Battery life is good, and with the SD card slot, a 32GB Surface space is not an issue. However, not ALL USB devices will work, for instance I tried to add a Microsoft Studiocam which is not compatible with Windows RT. But flash drives work fine.

Where the Surface RT falls short is in the Display and Ecosystem area. My iPad (4th gen) and iPad mini have a faster response in the display, where there is noticeable lag on the Surface RT in graphic intensive Modern UI apps. As for the app selection, the iPads are hard to beat, although I do prefer the sandboxed eco that Apple and Microsoft are using, really not a fan of the Google store. There are apps for my Yamaha keyboards, and Celestron telescopes that just are not available on the RT. Of course this is more of a developer issue, but just like the WebOS was pretty interesting, without 3rd party development, it is a hard sell.

But as I am a geek anyway, there is room in my life for both devices. Now off to see if the 5S is worth giving up my Lumia 1020. :)
  • Reply 37 of 46
    Mr. Panay should have either tucked his wrinkled shirt in or lost that middle-aged spread.
  • Reply 38 of 46
    Does anyone else think this reads like a journalist's trip to North Korea?!? I see Microsoft is taking hosting advice from Kim Jong-un...

"However, most of the second-generation units made available for the hands-on session were not actually functional%u2026Microsoft explained that these units were intended for photographs only%u2026.Microsoft also had a series of displays manned by real-life Surface users who were flown to the event to tell members of the press why they have chosen Surface."

I hope the minders were at least helpful :)
  • Reply 39 of 46
    Wow - that photo of the docking station - designed by a 3 year old with Legos... How elegant!
  • Reply 40 of 46
    I wish them well, but I'll never consider any tablet that won't run in the 10-12 hour range for battery life.