Apple TV software returns one day after being pulled

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Apple on Monday released a new version of its Apple TV software after the previous update was pulled due to technical issues that would find some users left with an inoperable device.

Apple TV

The latest release, still called Apple TV Software 6.0, comes one day after Apple yanked a version on Sunday because customers were complaining of lost content, inability to download content and, in some cases, bricked units.

Apple first issued the 6.0 iteration of the software on Friday, adding support for new features rolled out alongside iOS 7 like iTunes Radio.

The update also brought support for AirPlay over iCloud, a function that allows users to stream content on an Apple TV owned by another person, using just their iTunes account credentials. Instead of using content authentication data stored on an Apple TV, the feature allows a compatible device like an iPhone or iPad to provide the information.

Further integration with iCloud includes access to previously purchased music, podcast syncing and Photo Stream sharing functionality.

Apple TV owners can download the latest 6.0 software by accessing software update in the Settings menu.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 48
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Did they rev the version number, or is it still 6.0?
  • Reply 2 of 48

My saga with this continues. I called Apple Support to say my Gen 3 AppleTV was bricked, and I was taken through all the diagnostics. When nothing worked, they told me to take it to a local reseller/repairer to get somehow get it "physically restored".

I did, assuming it would be all taken care of. The repairer called today and said it was ready to pick up. When I got there, I was presented a bill for $90! (They did not even bother to call to give me an estimate -- if they had, I would have told them to throw it away and bought a new one instead). For a &##^% product that costs $99!!

Of course I paid.

I was livid. Called Apple when I got home, and complained about the unethical reseller/repairer. It got escalated two levels, and the customer relations person that it went to sounded genuinely apologetic (for the record, I've had nothing but the most amazing customer service experience with Apple in the past). He has promised to call them day after tomorrow to ask them to refund the charges.

Let's see what happens.

• Reply 3 of 48
    takeotakeo Posts: 446member
    So what do you do if your AppleTV was bricked? Mine was fine but I have friends who had theirs bricked. Do they need a mini-USB cable to plug into iTunes and do a restore or something? I have a feeling there will be a LOT of genius appointment as a result of this screw up.
  • Reply 4 of 48
    I don't think the term bricked is being used correctly on many of the forums. If it is bricked, it no longer works and it can't be reset. With the 6.0 issue, users have simply unplugged it and plugged it back in and it boots back up.
  • Reply 5 of 48
    Me!!!!
    After the update i got the blinking light and even reset it on my Mac (fortunately i had a mini USB cable!)
    but two resets didn't change it.

I was going to take it in to the Apple Store at the Braintree Mall.
  • Reply 6 of 48
    I downloaded to all 3 of mine without any lockup & checked with several friends (4) who didn't have any issues with theirs. Wonder how often this occurred being that the software has been out for several days now.
  • Reply 7 of 48

2nd gen Apple TV was bricked.  Restoring now via iTunes.

BFD.  It's only TV, and it's only one of my TV's inputs.

And hey, now I have a USB micro B cable.

• Reply 8 of 48
    Mine is bricked. At least as far as I can tell. It won't turn on and I've checked the cables, etc.
  • Reply 9 of 48
    I didn't see anything about the iCloud support for videos in Photostreams before. That is awesome!

Screenshot from Macroumors.com

[IMG]http://forums.appleinsider.com/content/type/61/id/32174/width/200/height/400[/IMG]
  • Reply 10 of 48
    Originally Posted by Phone-UI-Guy View Post

Premier? Don’t they mean premium?

• Reply 11 of 48
    ericbolt wrote: »
    I don't think the term bricked is being used correctly on many of the forums. If it is bricked, it no longer works and it can't be reset. With the 6.0 issue, users have simply unplugged it and plugged it back in and it boots back up.

You obviously didn't read all the posts here of all the users that were unable to get the ATV working no matter what they did, but you're right most devices are soft-bricked and able to get fixed.
  • Reply 12 of 48
    I updated an ATV2 and ATV3 on Friday night. The install took a long time and at one point looked like it was stuck and not progressing. But I've learned to be patient and let it do it's thing and it always finishes and all is well afterwards.

I'm wondering if some people became impatient and thought maybe the installation had stalled and tried to start over again. I wished Apple would inform users how long an update is supposed to take so they can be prepared.

Anyway, in the past when I thought I had "bricked" mine, I did a restore by connecting it directly to my Mac/iTunes using a micro USB cable and got it working again. If you have ATV3, you need power cord as well.
  • Reply 13 of 48
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

My saga with this continues. I called Apple Support to say my Gen 3 AppleTV was bricked, and I was taken through all the diagnostics. When nothing worked, they told me to take it to a local reseller/repairer to get somehow get it "physically restored".

I did, assuming it would be all taken care of. The repairer called today and said it was ready to pick up. When I got there, I was presented a bill for $90! (They did not even bother to call to give me an estimate -- if they had, I would have told them to throw it away and bought a new one instead). For a &##^% product that costs $99!!

Of course I paid.

I was livid. Called Apple when I got home, and complained about the unethical reseller/repairer. It got escalated two levels, and the customer relations person that it went to sounded genuinely apologetic (for the record, I've had nothing but the most amazing customer service experience with Apple in the past). He has promised to call them day after tomorrow to ask them to refund the charges.

Let's see what happens.

:rolleyes: It's called, Get a micro-USB cable. Your own damn fault for not taking the most basic troubleshooting steps and instead going to a "repair center" that was anything but an Apple Store.

• Reply 14 of 48
    if your Apple TV is 'bricked', see http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4367
  • Reply 15 of 48
    Also, if you have a Kindle, you can use it's cable to restore the Apple TV using iTunes on your Mac/PC
  • Reply 16 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ericbolt View Post

What do you think I was talking about?

(Edited)

• Reply 17 of 48
    Quote:

Originally Posted by eatoyz View Post

I downloaded to all 3 of mine without any lockup & checked with several friends (4) who didn't have any issues with theirs. Wonder how often this occurred being that the software has been out for several days now.

Obviously a few more times than 3 + your 'several' friends, I am guessing?

• Reply 18 of 48
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pmz View Post

:rolleyes: It's called, Get a micro-USB cable. Your own damn fault for not taking the most basic troubleshooting steps and instead going to a "repair center" that was anything but an Apple Store.

Quit the stupid roll-eyes, buddy, and give an old poster here some benefit of doubt.

I happened to have three micro-USB cables at home, and tried each of them. There's a reason that Apple Support sent me to a local reseller/repairer.

• Reply 19 of 48

Of course I paid.

Let's see what happens.

Why the heck would you pay him??
  • Reply 20 of 48

No thanks, I'm not beta testing anything else. I returned my Apple TV and got another one. 5.3 is fine with me.