Analysts react to Apple's iPhone 5s and 5c launch weekend sales

Comments

• Reply 81 of 106
    sandroidiego:

1) They actually sold two different phones this time. That means people who had put off an upgrade could get the new 5C for a lower price than if they had gotten the 5 (despite the 5 and 5C basically being the same phone). Without a breakdown of how the sales are for each model, the flagship (5S) might actually have sold worse than the 5. For instance, a 50/50 split would mean each unit sold 4.5 million a piece, which would actually mean that their profit margin dropped.

2) The iPhone was released in China for the first time this year, too. That's a HUGE market. For the iPhone release-weekend market to have possibly doubled (I don't have the actual stats on market sizes handy), and the combined 5S and 5C releases to have less than doubled would mean that sales are actually slower than they were for the 5, despite the raw numbers being better.

Basically, it seems to me that 5 million units of the 5 alone, without China, might actually be more impressive than 9 million units of the 5S and 5C with China.
  • Reply 82 of 106
    jragosta wrote: »
    Two issues:
    1. As you said, the number of unsold iPhones is minimal. Both the 5S and 5C are backordered, so I doubt if there were many sitting on shelves today.

2. Cook said that they SOLD 9 M phones. It's not clear whether Apple's system would include a phone in inventory as a sale or not.

Obviously all stores still had a supply of iPhones 5, and 4/4S. I'm sure people grabbed some of those up as well but not 3-4 million of them. I've seen analysts say some off the wall things but Gene just took the cake.
  • Reply 83 of 106
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mocseg View Post

sandroidiego:

1) They actually sold two different phones this time. That means people who had put off an upgrade could get the new 5C for a lower price than if they had gotten the 5 (despite the 5 and 5C basically being the same phone). Without a breakdown of how the sales are for each model, the flagship (5S) might actually have sold worse than the 5. For instance, a 50/50 split would mean each unit sold 4.5 million a piece, which would actually mean that their profit margin dropped.

2) The iPhone was released in China for the first time this year, too. That's a HUGE market. For the iPhone release-weekend market to have possibly doubled (I don't have the actual stats on market sizes handy), and the combined 5S and 5C releases to have less than doubled would mean that sales are actually slower than they were for the 5, despite the raw numbers being better.

Basically, it seems to me that 5 million units of the 5 alone, without China, might actually be more impressive than 9 million units of the 5S and 5C with China.

I sincerely doubt they did a 50/50 split and if they even came close it would be because they were out of the 5S model.  That being said when you front load China, and they did over 2 million there in the first weekend last year, there is no way the 5S outsold the 5.  Of course the overall numbers will depend on just how many phones are on order so we wont know until they report in January just how much demand there was for the 5S early on.

Keep in mind they also aggressively gave credit for later model phones to make sure there was demand for these newer models and I dont recall them ever doing that before.

Hey, 9 million phones is a lot of phones, but it's the back order that will really tell the story.

• Reply 84 of 106
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member
    let me put it to you guys and all the pundits another way:

what consumer product in this price range EVER sold more tha 9 million in its first thee day on the market???

answer: none.
  • Reply 85 of 106
    hydr wrote: »

Thanks for sharing! What absolute fk'n morons! How could these analysts be so stupid, and the one clown who sees the same thing happening to Apple that happened to Blackberry - ROFLMAOOL
  • Reply 86 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

and the author brings up some valid concerns for many stockholders.

What exactly is "some valid concerns" he brought?

• Reply 87 of 106
    addicted44 wrote: »
    Apple did awesome. But I think the 5c sales show that the 5c might be overpriced. I think Apple could have made it about $50-$100 cheaper and it would have done a lot better. There is no reason for the 5c to ever be priced the same as the 5s (which happens at the $200 level).

Although that may be part of Apple's upsell strategy, and low 5s yields are the driver behind them marketing the 5c so heavily.

You're either writing this in a vacuum or you are dumb.
  • Reply 88 of 106
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

For starters the keyword is 'might', and the author brings up some valid concerns for many stockholders.

Nope. The author is clueless idiot, not even bored enough to look down the timeline in the past and check what has Apple reinvented and when, but rather touting loud now already the old mantra how Apple has lost it's mojo without SJ not wanting to reinvent the wheel every year...

I will ask just one question: why nothing meaningful is not reinvented by some other company than Apple, having much more engineers "working on projects" ?
  • Reply 89 of 106
    Quote:

Originally Posted by matrix07 View Post

What exactly is "some valid concerns" he brought?

Author is concerned not buying AAPL before announcement expecting lower sales. Now he/she is trying to fix this. 

• Reply 90 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hydr View Post

Watch this and laugh:

http://video.cnbc.com/gallery/?video=3000201502&play=1

All of this guys will never learn. They both were idiots - That is all I am going to say! For once, I was happy at the CNBC guy and how he told the guest on phone - Come on lets get serious - Apple proved us all wrong!

• Reply 91 of 106
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jkichline View Post

Where is Al Franken when you need him? Congressional hearing please.

You must have missed it! He already raised his neck on the the finger print technology on iPhone 5s. He is afraid about privacy issues ! Check this out - 

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/09/20/al-franken-iphone-fingerprint_n_3961852.html?utm_hp_ref=technology

• Reply 92 of 106
    QUOTE:
    Ben A. Reitzes, Barclays
    iOS 7 appears to be driving sales of new iPhones, while sales numbers are even more encouraging due to iPhone 5s supply constraints.

Target: $525.00
    Rating: Overweight

"We find it interesting that Apple is also positively revising its guidance while the quarter is still about a week away from closing. We do not recall this type of pre-announcement ever happening and it seems that it implies a message from management that the company is back on track.

Someone please tell me where to find this F%u2026ing IDIOT so I can pound his skull with my iPhone. When has Apple EVER been off track?!?
  • Reply 93 of 106
    Watch this and laugh:

These guys are all jokes. Just look at their record.
  • Reply 94 of 106
    poksipoksi Posts: 482member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by tobeornottobe View Post

Watch this and laugh:

These guys are all jokes. Just look at their record.

The interviewer was authentically shocked! He couldn'T believe if they are really such morons. What we have seen in this video is actually criminal act of intentionally misleading the audience. It seems that those guys can really get away with anything since they are serving the "greater purpose" of global capital. We have just seen the shameful example of pure intention to squeeze money out of small stockholders...

WS is Wall of Shame....
  • Reply 95 of 106
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Welcome to CNBC after 10 AM. A wasteland.

It would be nice if there was a decent financial news channel but all three of them suck! When it comes to Apple Bloomberg is just as bad as CNBC!
  • Reply 96 of 106
    i hope tim cook notices how poorly the 5C did, apple customers dont want cheap plastic, they want high end, android has the low end market locked down
  • Reply 97 of 106
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    alfiejr wrote: »
    let me put it to you guys and all the pundits another way:

what consumer product in this price range EVER sold more tha 9 million in its first thee day on the market???

answer: none.

At an average price of $600, that means that Apple sold more than $5 B in phones in the first weekend. That's more than Blackberry sells in a quarter.
    djkikrome wrote: »
    QUOTE:
    Ben A. Reitzes, Barclays
    iOS 7 appears to be driving sales of new iPhones, while sales numbers are even more encouraging due to iPhone 5s supply constraints.

Target: $525.00
    Rating: Overweight

"We find it interesting that Apple is also positively revising its guidance while the quarter is still about a week away from closing. We do not recall this type of pre-announcement ever happening and it seems that it implies a message from management that the company is back on track.

Someone please tell me where to find this F%u2026ing IDIOT so I can pound his skull with my iPhone. When has Apple EVER been off track?!?

On top of that, what's with the "iOS 7 appears to be driving sales of the new iPhones"? What in the world makes him think that people spent $5 B on new phones to get the new OS? Especially since they can simply download the OS for free for their existing phones.

sector7g wrote: »
    i hope tim cook notices how poorly the 5C did, apple customers dont want cheap plastic, they want high end, android has the low end market locked down

If the estimates are true, then they sold 2 M of the 5C in the first weekend. How many Android 'low end' phones sold that well?
  • Reply 98 of 106
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Applehawk View Post

I would like to know what proof has been supplied that the 5c is not selling well other than from media or analysts. They ask people in lines what they are there for and they all say the 5s. Well no kidding that is what they are in line for since there was no pre orders for them. People start sayin the 5c is not selling good and it gets repeated and soon enough people start to believe it. Show me proof.

I agree. I also think you have two very different consumer profiles for the 5s and the 5c as well as the lack of 5s pre-order you pointed out. The 5s tends to attract the 'power user' (i.e., high end) consumer that wants it now (or preferably 3 months ago) and is willing to jump thru flaming hoops or sleep on the sidewalk for a night or few. They will compromise on color but most want max memory and maybe multiple phones. I think once the first weekend dust settles the 5c will sell reasonably well -- especially for the holiday (when Apple makes it clear that they have plenty available).

IMHO the 5c price being $79 to $169 might have made them a little more attractive while still keeping a high profit margin. There is always room to play that card at holidays or beginning of year if a stimulus seems needed. I think it might have given that bit of differentiation  between the two lines. Apple has never shied away from lines overlapping (or dovetailing) on price (e.g., MBA, MB and MBP lines).

I think it makes a lot more sense to watch a bit longer and wait for at least another week -- but the analysts have to tell the gamblers, uh, investors something because they demand it; and of course the analysts with their flaky logic (if any) can always blame it on the fed or unemployment, etc...
  • Reply 99 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by patpatpat View Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGkDSzGtdew

5c failed the drop test. 5s survived.

http://www.technobuffalo.com/2013/09/22/iphone-5s-vs-iphone-5c-drop-test/

same result with cases on both phones.

Thanks PatPatPat - good info.

• Reply 100 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Michael_C View Post

Thanks PatPatPat - good info.

If these tests were not just "flukes" and the 5s is more resilient to drops than 5c, it makes the $100 price gap seem even less of a barrier. I'm pretty sure it costs well over $100 to replace/repair a IP5 screen outside of applecare and ~$50 with.