Apple offers refunds to 'Breaking Bad' Season Pass holders following mixup

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Apple on Monday sent out emails to "Breaking Bad" Season Pass holders, saying they would be receiving the final eight episodes for free after the season was split into two parts, resulting in confusion over pricing that resulted in a class action lawsuit.

Breaking Bad

In the short letters sent out today, Apple apologized for confusion stemming from AMC's decision to split the the last season of Breaking Bad into two separate parts, dubbed "Season 5" and "The Final Season," both of which contain eight episodes each. The finale season of the hit show was originally slated to be a single 16-episode run.

Customers who purchased the Season Pass prior to the split were informed that they would be provided with an iTunes code worth $22.99, which can be put towards "The Final Season" as well as any other content in the store. This will also serve as refunds for customers who purchased both seasons after the mixup.

Earlier this month, Apple was sued over its handling of the situation, with plaintiffs claiming the company falsely advertised its prepaid pricing for Breaking Bad, demanding the company release both seasons to those customers who bought the Season Pass thinking all 16 episodes were included.

The series finale of Breaking Bad airs this Sunday on AMC and will be available for download on iTunes shortly thereafter.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 32
    I don't think Amazon or other competitors are offering refunds. Good job Apple.
  • Reply 2 of 32

Apple making things right?

I'm sure somehow this means APPLE IZ DOOMEEDDD!

• Reply 3 of 32
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Edited to remove quote which referred to episode aired weeks ago!!!!!

If you are worried about seeing a spoiler, stop reading this thread now, because people quoted my original post.
  • Reply 4 of 32
    Not sure they are offering it in Canada, I haven't received my email yet. Any others out there?
  • Reply 5 of 32
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Such a good show, more deserving of a higher rating than the one that all the disgruntled one star reviews caused.

AMC are the ones who caused this.
  • Reply 6 of 32
    I've not received an email yet either. Purchased in the uk store .....still waiting Apple, come on and sort this out for everyone else outside the uk
  • Reply 7 of 32
    quinney wrote: »
    YOU KILLED UNCLE HANK!!!!!

You see how this could ruin someone's enjoyment of the show, right?
  • Reply 8 of 32
    Originally Posted by acslater017 View Post

• Reply 9 of 32
    Edited
    !!!!!

Sorry. Don't stop watching it. A lot more happens. Oops, did I do it again? Never mind. Nothing else happens. Oh crap. Now I've really ruined it. I know. It was just a dream Bobby Ewing had.
  • Reply 10 of 32
    Something like this happened with South Park, if it remember correctly.
  • Reply 11 of 32
    Quote:

Originally Posted by blackbook View Post

Did Amazon or the other competitors have class action lawsuits brought against them?

• Reply 12 of 32
    YOU KILLED UNCLE HANK!!!!!

Ruined the show a bit there buddy. I'm sure 'more' happens but that was a bad call!
  • Reply 13 of 32
    poochpooch Posts: 768member
    wait, it was season 4 then season 5 then the final season? i'm so confused as to how television shows number their seasons now i thought it was season 4 then seasons 5-19 and then the final season, season 20, to be aired 9/29.
  • Reply 14 of 32
    scottyltd wrote: »
    Edited!!!!!

Ruined the show a bit there buddy. I'm sure 'more' happens but that was a bad call!

Ok, I'll apologize to you too, but that will be the last one. If you really think what I wrote tells you a lot, don't catch up to two episodes back to find out it doesn't.
  • Reply 15 of 32
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by blackbook View Post

I thought that Season Pass was an exclusive iTunes feature. I could be wrong though.

• Reply 16 of 32
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member

Glad to hear this, I was one of those expecting the final 8 episodes to be included in the Season 5 Episode Pass.  Haven't received an email yet, hopefully Apple are applying this in all territories, not just the US where the class action lawsuit was filed.

• Reply 17 of 32
    jeffpen wrote: »
    Not sure they are offering it in Canada, I haven't received my email yet. Any others out there?

I am in canada, purchased both seasons, and have not received and email yet... In all honesty, I had a strong hunch that when I bought the season 5A, that it was only a half season due to the price being around 25$...

(Update - just received credit notification to be redeemed for any other iTunes purchases... Very good of apple to do this. Kudos)
  • Reply 18 of 32
    droidftw wrote: »
    Did Amazon or the other competitors have class action lawsuits brought against them?

No, but the dip who brought the class action suit against Apple decided to go after the company with deep pockets, even though it was AMC's fault.

Just demonstrates the kind of company Apple is and the lengths they go to in order to satisfy their customers.
  • Reply 19 of 32

This really surprises me. When I bout the first half of season 5 to catch up that was all I assumed I was getting. At least for me Apple didn't really have to do this

• Reply 20 of 32

Even the BBC is reporting the refund....but still no email....I guess it's only to the US customers. Typical. Where's the email address to complain to Apple :)