2 things I hate about my new 27" 2013 iMac.

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 30
    bergermeisterbergermeister Posts: 6,784member

Regarding your Time Machine drive....  USB 2 or FireWire 800?  The new iMacs come with USB3 and Thunderbolt, which are both much faster than USB2 or FW800.  Will make backups take far less time.  Of course, you can still use your USB2 or FW800 drive (the former plugs right into the USB3 port, the latter will need a cable adapter which Apple sells).

2009 machine...  You will be very impressed by the performance boost on the new ones.

• Reply 22 of 30
    bergermeisterbergermeister Posts: 6,784member

Ugh.  My earlier post about USB being faster than TB was wrong.  Very wrong.  Sorry.  (Though the original test was done with a different USB3 disk than I worked with today; will test that disk again early next week.)

- - - - -

Ran a careful test today and got very different figures.  Was careful with timing on Finder drag and drop (starting on the 0sec).  Also used a backup app (Intego) that actually shows average transfer speed and time taken to complete the task.

FILE: Folder of Adobe Encore projects (video) = 20.94GB

DISK A (WD Thunderbolt Duo 6TB)

Striped RAID 

Intego: 2min 35sec (avg: 138MB/s)

Finder: 1min 48sec

DISK B (WD TB Duo 6TB)

mirrored RAID

Intego: 3min 14sec (avg: 108MB/sec)

Finder: 3min 1sec

DISK C (WD My Book Essential USB3)

single disk

Intego: 4min 51sec (avg: 72MB/sec)

Finder: 4min 38sec

Interesting to note that the Finder was much faster on the copy to striped RAID.

• Reply 23 of 30
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

Regarding your Time Machine drive....  USB 2 or FireWire 800?  The new iMacs come with USB3 and Thunderbolt, which are both much faster than USB2 or FW800.  Will make backups take far less time.  Of course, you can still use your USB2 or FW800 drive (the former plugs right into the USB3 port, the latter will need a cable adapter which Apple sells).

2009 machine...  You will be very impressed by the performance boost on the new ones.

Sorry that it took so long to get back to you.  It's a USB 2.0 drive.

• Reply 24 of 30

Quote:

Originally Posted by AaronJ View Post

Sorry that it took so long to get back to you.  It's a USB 2.0 drive.

That will stay the same even when plugged into a USB3 port.

• Reply 25 of 30
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member

I see now that the new iMacs also have the image retention problem, like the retina MBPs. Is anyone here experiencing this?

What a bummer. Really. This kind of hardware problem is unacceptable and Apple says it is normal. I wanted a new iMac later in the year as a home machine, but if they don't solve this problem, I am not going to pay this amount of money. I fear that I may end up with a Windows machine, which I really hate to happen to me.

• Reply 26 of 30

Got my MBP retina last year and my iMac 27 this January and have not noticed any retention in either.  

Just my experience.

• Reply 27 of 30

I have the 21.5inch 2.7GHz iMac, and waking up form sleep takes about 1-3 seconds, and that includes getting into the password entry. startup takes about 6-12 seconds. I have 8 gigs of RAM in case anyone wanted to know. Just thought I'd say that I'm please (especially going from a slow Windows Vista 500GB 5200rpm hard drive) I have the 1TB fusion drive and I feel like it works great. However windows migration assistant didn't work (tried about 8 times, in about 1 1/2 hours). I had to move the data and import it manually.

• Reply 28 of 30

delete the sleep image file; that should fix your wake from sleep issue.  as for the speakers, look at the enclosure - there's no way to fit decent speakers in there so do yourself a favor and pony up for some SoundSticks (i've had my pair for 12 years and they still look and sound great).

To purge your sleep image:

Launch terminal.

Enter this:

sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 0

(disables safe sleep)

Enter password when prompted.

Next, enter this:

sudo rm /private/var/vm/sleepimage

(removes sleep image from disk)

Enter password again, if prompted.

Finally, enter this:

pmset -g | grep hibernatemode

(prints to screen the current hibernatemode setting)

You should see:

hibernatemode 0

(Safe Sleep is disabled)

Safe Sleep should now be turned off, and the sleep image has been removed from the drive.

• Reply 29 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Positive. It gets stuck on the password wake screen and pauses usually for 15 seconds before the password box is ready.

I see the same thing on a mid-2010 27" imac.

• Reply 30 of 30

Sounds like you are allowing your drives to go to sleep. If you don't like waiting for the drive to spin up then go to:

- - -

System Preferences > Energy Saver >

Now uncheck "Put hard disks to sleep when possible".

- - -

I always manually sleep my computer when I'm going to leave it for a while and then tolerate the drives waking up once after waking it. If this is happening a lot and it annoys you then stop it from happening.