Apple updates iMac with Haswell CPUs, 802.11ac Wi-Fi & GeForce 700 series graphics

Comments

• Reply 41 of 161

Strange that they waited so long to get the iMac out…

And it’s not Thunderbolt 2.

They didn’t even update its own product page. :???:

• Reply 42 of 161
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by akqies View Post

There is nothing factual or logical about your comment.

1) The Retina MBPs were updated in early 2013. With there still only being 12 months in a year and this still only being 2013 that means it has to be under 12 months, not he 12 to 15 months you suggest.

2) You are under the erroneous impression that all Apple needs to update the MBPs is to pop in Haswell. I will be sorely disappointed if they update them before the TB2 chips are available as this is needed to run a 4K display properly, which I also expect to be announced next month.

Note the new iMacs do not have TB2; they have two Thunderbolt ports, but that's not the same thing.

PS: You seem like an otherwise reasonable person so why throw that all away just to get one new aspect to the MBP and then have to wait another nearly another year for an update when you can wait another month or two for something better? Let's say that Apple updated the MBPs with Haswell today, you would be happy, right? But then next month they announce all the real updates to the MBPs with a release date in November. If you had bought a new MBP would not then be unhappy? Or would be happy if the Mac portable with Pro in the name couldn't use the 4K display that is released alongside the Mac Pro?

The rMPB was released in June of last year. The February 'update' merely boosted the baseline clock speed 100Mhz. Nothing else changed. Not exactly what I would call a refresh, more like here - have this other SKU for the same price. If you want to, fair enough. I've had the machine just over a year now (maxed out spec wise), it's the best machine I've ever had. We do need another one as my wife's 2011 Air is definitely on it's last legs and she really wants one. I have no doubt it's coming soon, just a little surprised we haven't heart anything as of yet since it is Apple's 'flagship' laptop really. I'll admit 4K displays don't matter to me. 

• Reply 43 of 161
    jessijessi Posts: 302member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Smarky View Post

I'm surprised Apple haven't chosen to go for a Mac centric event to get a little more focus back on there computing line.

Something I've learned about Apple-- a couple weeks before they do a special event, they push out the products that didn't make the cut for the event (though sometimes it comes after the event.)  So these "silent updates" are what happens to products not deemed worthy enough for the event.

I think there may be a Mac Centric event in October, and this update coming now merely means they were ready to go and there's enough stuff to talk about in the event already.

I wonder how they will do it, though, whether they will cover iPads / Mac Pro & Mavericks all in one event, or if they will have two.

Because if they have two separate events, and new iMacs didn't make the cut then there's a lot of presentation time to introduce a new AppleTV or iWatch or something.  (figure 90 minutes per event and probably 30 minutes per product, so iPad and iPad mini is 60 minutes, leaving an extra 30 for an iPad only event.  Or at a Mac Event Mac Pro and Mavericks together is 60 minutes, leaving, again, an extra 30 minutes.) 

• Reply 44 of 161
    Quote:

Originally Posted by saarek View Post

Such a shame that the Fusion drive is not standard.

I agree - was thinking about getting a new mba 13", but for the money, I'm now leaning more towards the iMac 21" with FD.  My wife has an early '13 21" iMac with FD that rocks.  I love how FD keeps me from worrying about drive space, like I have with my 128gb Air.  You get the best of both worlds, tremendous storage space and speed of ssd, without having to do anything.

I don't understand how anyone would buy a traditional spinning hd if they've ever worked on an ssd before.  Even playing with the Air's in-store should be enough for people to understand just what a speed difference it is.  The $200 upgrade is nothing when factored over the life of the iMac.
  • Reply 45 of 161
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    ireland wrote: »
    But it still has worse speakers than previous gen iMacs for years, and as a result a worst music playback experience thanks to the funnel-like audio as music is pushed down through that narrow chin. But the narrow chin looks good? OK.

Source: my last 4 computers were iMacs. I love(d) iMacs. I kept this one three months before reselling it and buying a MacBook Air. And no, no no no no no, I won't get speakers to go with the iMac. That's the point of an AIO, people. I would no longer recommend an iMac to anyone.

If you're at all serious about music, you'd have external speakers, anyway. And if you're going to be using external speakers, who cares what the internal audio is like?

sevenfeet wrote: »
    Don't forget the Mac Mini. A Haswell based Mac Mini would be a killer little machine consuming even less power than it does now.

Timing would be good. My old Core 2 Duo Mini is dying and will need to be replaced unless someone can offer a suggestion.

I have the server model with 2 hard drives. It keeps giving me a message that the hard drive disconnected - and then becomes corrupted. At first, I thought it was just a bad hard drive, but I tried using the other hard drive and it did the same thing. I haven't moved it, so it's unlikely that an internal cable become loose, but I guess that's a possibility. Any other ideas?
    karmadave wrote: »
    Apple is not repeating their mistake, of last year, but updating the iMac and not shipping until AFTER the holidays. At this point, it's all about Consumers. You will probably see new iPads out before the holidays, but new MacBook Pro's could be early 2014. We shall see...

Good point about not repeating last year's mistake. They'll have time to sell a ton of these before the holidays.

Personally, I'd expect the new MBP in October. I don't expect a change in the format, so they'll simply be limited by chip availability. Unless they're planning to use TB 2, that shouldn't be an issue.
  • Reply 46 of 161
    ireland wrote: »
    I would no longer recommend an iMac to anyone......

.... in the market for a computer who's looking to live with (chintzy) built-in speakers?

Any good ideas how to deal with speakers on an executive desk (center of office) with an iMac mounted to an arm? Every good solution I can think of would just be better with a different computer.
  • Reply 47 of 161
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jmgregory1 View Post

I don't understand how anyone would buy a traditional spinning hd if they've ever worked on an ssd before.  Even playing with the Air's in-store should be enough for people to understand just what a speed difference it is.  The $200 upgrade is nothing when factored over the life of the iMac.

Many people have 't worked on an SSD before.  If your machine is more than just a year or two old, then it likely has a spinner.

• Reply 48 of 161
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    aaarrrgggh wrote: »
    For listening to music you might have a case, but for Skype and FaceTime it is a PITA. I have resorted to a plug in speaker on my ipad in order to deal with the same problem-- sound is directed the wrong way. If it is against the wall it might not be a big deal, but that isn't everybody's need.

How much quality do you need for Skype and Facetime? The iMac's speakers are just fine for that. If you're really picky, externals are fine.

The iPad is different so using an iPad issue to justify your whining about the iMac is silly.

jessi wrote: »
    Something I've learned about Apple-- a couple weeks before they do a special event, they push out the products that didn't make the cut for the event (though sometimes it comes after the event.)  So these "silent updates" are what happens to products not deemed worthy enough for the event.

I think there may be a Mac Centric event in October, and this update coming now merely means they were ready to go and there's enough stuff to talk about in the event already.

I wonder how they will do it, though, whether they will cover iPads / Mac Pro & Mavericks all in one event, or if they will have two.

Because if they have two separate events, and new iMacs didn't make the cut then there's a lot of presentation time to introduce a new AppleTV or iWatch or something.  (figure 90 minutes per event and probably 30 minutes per product, so iPad and iPad mini is 60 minutes, leaving an extra 30 for an iPad only event.  Or at a Mac Event Mac Pro and Mavericks together is 60 minutes, leaving, again, an extra 30 minutes.) 

I would think that the October event would cover Mavericks, MBP, and the Mac Pro
    aaarrrgggh wrote: »
    Any good ideas how to deal with speakers on an executive desk (center of office) with an iMac mounted to an arm? Every good solution I can think of would just be better with a different computer.

There are a lot of different designs. Since I don't know the setup, I can't make a recommendation, but you could start here:
    http://www.coolmacaccessories.com/best-external-imac-speakers/

Or consider Bluetooth speakers and put them on the walls.
  • Reply 49 of 161
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aaarrrgggh View Post

but that isn't everybody's need.

That is the challenge in design: to find a mid-point that will sell.  Will each aspect serve every customer's specific needs perfectly?  Perhpas not.  Will the overall design work for most people well?  

• Reply 50 of 161
    poksipoksi Posts: 482member

My 2011 iMac stays on the table and money in my pocket. Won't change until Retina. Got used to it on Macbook. Same goes for iPad Mini.

• Reply 51 of 161
    Where is the retina display version?
    I am waiting here with a 3.4 year old iMac.
    Waiting.
  • Reply 52 of 161
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member

Good thing I follow this site, talk about a quiet upgrade.

Numbers in (*) are Passmark G3D scores:

On the 21.5", the GT 750m (1616) is a nice upgrade of the GT 650m (1297).

On the 27" imacs, the GTX 780m (4255) is a little downgrade compare to the GTX 680mx (4373)

I already have last year 27" imac, will buy a 21.5" for my wife this year.

• Reply 53 of 161
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

But it still has worse speakers than previous gen iMacs for years, and as a result a worst music playback experience thanks to the funnel-like audio as music is pushed down through that narrow chin. But the narrow chin looks good? OK.

Source: my last 4 computers were iMacs. I love(d) iMacs. I kept this one three months before reselling it and buying a MacBook Air. And no, no no no no no, I won't get speakers to go with the iMac. That's the point of an AIO, people. I would no longer recommend an iMac to anyone.

I formally reject your advice and recommendation. It's nonsense.

• Reply 54 of 161
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

I wonder why iPhone 5s did not get 802.11 ac

• Reply 55 of 161
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member

I love how you morons keep signing up to be idiots.

Does the new account signup page advertise a contest for “Most Vacuous Comment” or something?

Correction: they are already idiots. Their first posts are the proof.
  • Reply 56 of 161
    mstone wrote: »

Is there an 802.11ac chip that's efficient enough for the iPhone 5S? Let's remember that Apple has about half the available internal space and a much smaller battery capacity than other vendors, not to mention Apple actually cares about the user experience. I had hoped it would come this year but I wasn't expecting it.
  • Reply 57 of 161
    Quote:

Originally Posted by aaarrrgggh View Post

airplay audio can be used

• Reply 58 of 161
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Power of said chips, most likely.

• Reply 59 of 161
    ecsecs Posts: 307member

This is good. I won't buy it because I'm waiting for the Mac Pro, as I need a more powerful machine this time and without monitor, but nonetheless I'm very happy with this announce and I hope it will sell well (I believe so, as it has nice configurations, including 512GB SSD).

• Reply 60 of 161
    I have been waiting for the refresh I'm glad it's here , I already ordered one and should have it early October