Apple updates iMac with Haswell CPUs, 802.11ac Wi-Fi & GeForce 700 series graphics

Comments

• Reply 61 of 161
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    satalite wrote: »
    Apple has something up their sleeve... Unexpected announcement coming?
    Does the lack of a Mini update push you in that directions? Because the first thing I thought was that the Mini is now dead.
  • Reply 62 of 161
    smiles77 wrote: »
    I've tried to do some research into the Iris Pro (and what version they're using in the entry-level iMac), but while I thought it was initially a downgrade from the dedicated NVIDIA GeForce GT 640M with 512MB, it seems most are saying it's at least equal, if not slightly better. Hard to believe Intel's integrated graphics have gotten so good so fast. Anyone care to weigh in with their thoughts on the change?

As a GPU the results are mixed relative to the 640m. As an OpenCL processor Iris is fantastic.
  • Reply 63 of 161
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by poksi View Post

My 2011 iMac stays on the table and money in my pocket. Won't change until Retina.

I agree.  Patiently waiting with my 2010.  I went ahead and upgraded my work to a SD one, but for the house- waiting on Retina.  That'll be impressive when it happens.  I'm guessing next year (it wasn't expected this year).

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I wonder why iPhone 5s did not get 802.11 ac

Why would an iPhone even need ac?  99.9% of the population doesn't get those kinds of speeds at their home- so it is really only beneficial for file transfers within the same network- like Time machine backups, etc- nothing the iPhone does.  So if the 5S got ac... you wouldn't even notice a difference.

• Reply 64 of 161
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shard View Post

Apple has quite a few launches lined up until the end of the year...

1. Mavericks

2. Mac Pro

3. Haswell Macbook Pro Retina (possibly early 2014?)

4. iPad

5. iPad Mini

No iWatch and iTV until next year I think.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smarky View Post

I'm surprised Apple haven't chosen to go for a Mac centric event to get a little more focus back on there computing line.

Just a small event where they could Launch new macbook pro's, these new iMacs and the Mac pro as well as Mavericks at the same time.

Kinda odd to have a silent update without waiting for Mavericks when Mavericks is just around the corner.

With the iPhone still taking up all of Apple's media attention, I would have thought I would have made sense to have a slightly bigger gap and then launch all these products together to help gain some publicity for the computing line.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

No Macbook Pro announcement. Perhaps waiting for Mavericks? Maybe a space gray version? I assume then these will be coming at a special announcement? Maybe with iPads and MacPro?

At this point, I think it's unlikely that we'll see a combined event with new Mac hardware, OS X, and iPads anytime soon. Cook didn't say it explicitly, but by releasing 2 iPhones this year, the iOS business is too big to share the stage with the Mac anymore. If it was up to me, I'd have Mavericks, new Mac Pros, and a Haswell update to the laptop line (most signs point to October for this). Then launch the iPads at their own event in November.

I left out the Mac mini as I would expect Apple to do a "silent refresh" w/ upgraded internals, similar to what we saw with the iMac today. 

• Reply 65 of 161
    Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

.... in the market for a computer who's looking to live with (chintzy) built-in speakers?

I don't get this either! Drop $2000 on a computer and fussing over a set of desktop speakers because it violates the AIO Aesthetic!

• Reply 66 of 161
    Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

Why would an iPhone even need ac?

640k(bps) ought to be enough for anyone. ;)

99.9% of the population doesn’t get those kinds of speeds at their home- so it is really only beneficial for file transfers…

Yeah, that’s the entire point. The Internet will NEVER* be that fast, so it’s for moving through local networks.

…nothing the iPhone does.

AirPlay of 1080p content…

*Not conditional. I truly believe it will never be this fast simply because they can scam us out of money for the same speeds for an entire decade.

• Reply 67 of 161
    dugbug wrote: »
    I hope so.  Also mini uses intel's GPUs, so haswell would be a sizable update.

But yet it wasn't updated! Make me wonder if it will be around in its current form much longer.
  • Reply 67 of 161

I'm in the market for a new Mac, my main machine is a 2007 Windows PC turned Hackintosh and I want Apple Hardware.

Laptops don't really interest me, why sacrifice performance and screen estate just for portability,  my needs don't require me to be able to walk around with a computer.

This is a nice update. I'd like to see the benchmarks, sure Haswell doesn't offer much performance upgrades, but if the CPU gives out about 5-7% you are essentially getting the same performance grade as upgrading from the i5 to the i7 custom build option on the previous gen models, which apple charge $200 for, so your getting a free $200 upgrade.

SSD moving to PCI-E is also a good move, I suspect this won't improve the fusion drive as much but it's still a good update as well as a pretty decent gfx update.

Waiting to see what is actually up with the Mac Pro and price ranges, as well as the outside possibility of an upscale Mac Mini being launched.

• Reply 69 of 161
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jmc54 View Post

I don't get this either! Drop $2000 on a computer and fussing over a set of desktop speakers because it violates the AIO Aesthetic!

And you can get reasonable ones that pretty well match the design of the iMac for not much money (I got these for $35, they're a bit more now):  

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0027VT6V4/ref=oh_details_o04_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Reply 70 of 161
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member
    A decent upgrade, but no discrete graphics on the base version or Thunderbolt 2 and USB 3.1 on any of the new range, and what about the Mini?
  • Reply 71 of 161
    Strange that they waited so long to get the iMac out…

And it’s not Thunderbolt 2.

They didn’t even update its own product page. :???:

Obviously Apples opinion of the iMac and the desktop in general is pretty low right now. They phone in updates to minimize distractions, so that they can focus on making billions off portables.

Apple might be justified to an extent, I believe right now all desktop sales for Apple have collapsed with most Mac sales going to the laptops.
  • Reply 72 of 161
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Smarky View Post

SSD moving to PCI-E is also a good move, I suspect this won't improve the fusion drive as much but it's still a good update as well as a pretty decent gfx update.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple's new iMac also features support for PCIe-based flash storage that makes Fusion Drive and all-flash storage options up to 50 percent faster than the previous generation.

Go for the iMac- you won't regret it.

• Reply 73 of 161
    Originally Posted by 1983 View Post

A decent upgrade, but no discrete graphics on the base version or Thunderbolt 2 and USB 3.1 on any of the new range, and what about the Mini?

I’m going to guess no Thunderbolt 2 or discrete graphics on that, either. :p

USB 3.1? What’s the point?

• Reply 74 of 161
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Who has 1080p content on their phone?  A Mac or even an iPad I could see.... but an iPhone?

• Reply 75 of 161
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shard View Post

Apple has quite a few launches lined up until the end of the year...

1. Mavericks

2. Mac Pro

3. Haswell Macbook Pro Retina (possibly early 2014?)

4. iPad

5. iPad Mini

No iWatch and iTV until next year I think.

I'm wondering if they are going to do another WhooptiDo announcement in a couple of weeks for some of their other product announcements or if they are just going to do these "quiet" announcements where they drag in the media.  I'm thinking they'll do something with the new iPads and MacPro system and maybe laptops if they have enough drastic changes to product specs. This one is an incremental improvement and I don't they needed to do a major presentation.

• Reply 76 of 161

OK, great. Now lets get that 750m inside a 15" MBP, and I'm in line at the Apple store...

... oh, and don't forget to de-gimp the nVidia drivers!

Tweet by Feral to me: In theory the 330M is more powerful than the 320M but in practise the performance of the 330M and its drivers is much weaker.

Apple seems to gimp OpenGL drivers... which is why you always get better performance in Windows and Linux than in OS X on the same hardware. 

• Reply 77 of 161
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member
    Quote:

I’m going to guess no Thunderbolt 2 or discrete graphics on that, either. :p

USB 3.1? What’s the point?

USB 3.1 might not hit the streets for probably another 3 to 4 years.  That's how long it took for USB 3 to hit the market once they finalized the spec.

• Reply 78 of 161
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,523member
    Did the iMac pricing increase in the US, or is it just us Brits that get screwed over as usual?
  • Reply 79 of 161
    zoolook wrote: »
    OK, great. Now lets get that 750m inside a 15" MBP, and I'm in line at the Apple store...

... oh, and don't forget to de-gimp the nVidia drivers!

Tweet by Feral to me: In theory the 330M is more powerful than the 320M but in practise the performance of the 330M and its drivers is much weaker.

Apple seems to gimp OpenGL drivers... which is why you always get better performance in Windows and Linux than in OS X on the same hardware. 

Mavericks does address driver issues in depth, so maybe some of those embarrassing performance numbers are a thing of the past.
  • Reply 80 of 161
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

Quote:

Who has 1080p content on their phone?  A Mac or even an iPad I could see.... but an iPhone?

iPhone 5s shoots 1080p