Apple updates iMac with Haswell CPUs, 802.11ac Wi-Fi & GeForce 700 series graphics

Comments

• Reply 101 of 161
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    jragosta wrote: »
    If you're only going to watch it on the phone, then you'd be correct. But if you're going to Airplay it to a big screen TV, 1080p has value.

Furthermore, if you're recording on you phone and then transferring to your computer to play on the computer or burn a disk, then 1080p is useful, too.
    My brain wasn't working. I was thinking of videos from iTunes (in which case you'd just use standard def on your phone)- but I forgot about that little thing on the back of the phone called a camera. Duh!

I'll proceed to sitting in the corner now....
  • Reply 102 of 161
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Puevlo View Post

Apple once again pulling ahead of the "competition". Another nail in the coffin of PCs.

Looks like a decent upgrade for the iMacs, but how well is that mobile chipset gonna push the display at native resolution in modern games? For those of us really into PC games it isn't going to touch a real desktop setup.

• Reply 103 of 161
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

All computers purchased after the announcement of the release date of a new OS X have received the OS for free.

You are right, of course, but I've done that dance as far back as Leopard/Snow Leopard, and I've just found it easiest to roll with the new OS preinstalled on a new Mac whenever possible (esp. in the age of recovery partitions. etc.).  As always, YMMV.

• Reply 104 of 161

I'm ready to order the 21.5" - but the deal breaker is the non-user access to the RAM.  That is such an incredibly stupid decision.  How do I know what I will need 3 years from now .... will 8GB be enough -- or will even 16 GB be too little ?  Having to take the whole thing apart to update RAM is just not going to work for me.

So - the choice is the huge 27" it will overwhelm my desktop --- but it does offer:

>user-accessible SO-DIMM slots<  upgrade to 32GB as needed.

I had hopes that this update would fix this dumb move -- but for the 21.5" it is still soldered RAM.  

Too bad.

• Reply 105 of 161

The 21.5" imac with the 750m GPU has its shipping date to 2-3 weeks already.

• Reply 106 of 161
    bigphotos wrote: »
    I'm ready to order the 21.5" - but the deal breaker is the non-user access to the RAM.  That is such an incredibly stupid decision.  How do I know what I will need 3 years from now .... will 8GB be enough -- or will even 16 GB be too little ?  Having to take the whole thing apart to update RAM is just not going to work for me.

So - the choice is the huge 27" it will overwhelm my desktop --- but it does offer:
    >
    user-accessible SO-DIMM slots<  upgrade to 32GB as needed.
    I had hopes that this update would fix this dumb move -- but for the 21.5" it is still soldered RAM.  
    Too bad.

That's my dilemma too. So I guess I'll have to get the 27".
  • Reply 107 of 161
    Is the internet only in Canada slow?
  • Reply 108 of 161
    So - the choice is the huge 27" it will overwhelm my desktop

I thought that too, when I ordered the 30" when it was EOL-ed. So happy now. Definitely go for the bigger iMac; you'll be pleased, no, happy, no, ecstatic with your decision. Especially if you're into photography. But also with day to day stuff: 3 windows/apps next to each other and all that.
  • Reply 109 of 161
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    fazzter wrote: »
    Looks like a decent upgrade for the iMacs, but how well is that mobile chipset gonna push the display at native resolution in modern games? For those of us really into PC games it isn't going to touch a real desktop setup.

"Serious" gamers have generally avoided Macs, anyway, so it's not the target audience. Intel's Haswell graphics will be fine for casual gamers - and even mid-range gamers, but it's unlikely that you'd be buying an AIO (from ANYONE, much less from Apple) if you were a serious gamer.

>
    user-accessible SO-DIMM slots<  upgrade to 32GB as needed.
    Too bad.

That's a choice you have to make. Apple has apparently found that very few people actually upgrade their RAM, anyway, especially on lower end models. I know that my experience is that not that many people do it. And given the high resale value of Macs, selling your old one and buying a new one is not that expensive of an option if in 3 years you find that 16 GB isn't enough.

(although I suspect that it will be plenty for most people. The years of rapidly escalating RAM requirements seem to be behind us).
  • Reply 110 of 161
    Quote:

Originally Posted by shard View Post

Apple has quite a few launches lined up until the end of the year...

1. Mavericks

2. Mac Pro

3. Haswell Macbook Pro Retina (possibly early 2014?)

4. iPad

5. iPad Mini

No iWatch and iTV until next year I think.

+ a LOT of Software (new iWork, iLife, Aperture? ...) 

+ some news for iCloud? (Photostream for all photos? Including video?) 
  • Reply 111 of 161

Get a pair of B&W MM-1's ..... fabulous sound, and classy looks.

As for me, my 2009 iMac is hanging on .... waiting for Haswell RMBP.

• Reply 112 of 161

It's great that Apple is updating the iMacs...

But where's the 802.11ac on iPhone 5s and 5c's ?

• Reply 113 of 161
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Yuniverse View Post

It's great that Apple is updating the iMacs...

But where's the 802.11ac on iPhone 5s and 5c's ?

Yeah, I asked the same question and then did a little searching. It looks like Broadcom does not yet have an ac wi-fi chip for phones. They have them for PC and tablets, but not small enough for the iPhone I guess. Next year for sure. Probably will be in the upcoming iPad though.

• Reply 114 of 161
    Time for me to update my desktop.
  • Reply 115 of 161
    ``Nvidia GeForce GTX 780M''

It once again tells me Apple is only serious about OpenCL on their truly Pro machines.

Nvidia OpenCL is absolute garbage.
  • Reply 116 of 161
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,095member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dreyfus2 View Post

That's true. I am happy with the 27" Thunderbolt Display and the resolution is certainly good enough. It would be handy for reviewing 4k footage though, for which we currently need a dedicated display (that is not really useable for anything else). There are certain compression and noise problems which you simply can't detect on lower resolution screens.

4K while nice, I just don't see it happening anytime soon for the iMac.  That's a huge amount of pixels, which will require a beefy GPU, and obviously people will complain about NEVER buying a 1st-gen of anything Apple.

I think 4K will be left for the Mac Pro for the near future.  My 27" iMac at home and my 27" LED display at the office (for the MBA) has fantastic resolution and considering the distance the monitors are from my eyes, retina on the desktop for everyday work is more for spec-heads than the joe consumer.

I doubt it will be cheap too...
  • Reply 117 of 161
    dreyfus2dreyfus2 Posts: 1,072member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

4K while nice, I just don't see it happening anytime soon for the iMac.  That's a huge amount of pixels, which will require a beefy GPU, and obviously people will complain about NEVER buying a 1st-gen of anything Apple.

Yeah, and normally the same people who say they are not innovating enough :-)

For years I have bought almost everything 1st-gen from Apple, and I really did not run into too many problems. The hinges on my Titanium book and the liquid cooling in my Dual 2.7 GHz G5 PowerMac are actually the only two severe ones I can remember over many years.

• Reply 118 of 161
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Originally Posted by mstone
    iPhone 5s shoots 1080p
    So does the 5. And beyond that, who WOULDN’T have 1080 on their devices?
    As does the 4S.
  • Reply 119 of 161
    dreyfus2 wrote: »
    The hinges on my Titanium book and the liquid cooling in my Dual 2.7 GHz G5 PowerMac are actually the only two severe ones I can remember over many years.

Hinges on the TiBook? I only read that the DVD slot would be too narrow on some models. Fortunately mine didn't have any problems whatsoever. Yep, 1st gen, maxed out.
  • Reply 120 of 161
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member

Yeah, this is kinda weird.

No Mavericks. No TB2. No USB 3.1 (which was always unlikely.)

No return to RAM access on the 21". No improved display (whether Retina or 4K.)

The headline tells it all. The 'stars' of this rev are the kinds of under-the-hood spec improvements Apple is usually reluctant to promote to iMac audiences.

While I'm certain the specs guarantee an improved experience, I would generally have to agree: this is a phone-it-in update.