Does the iPod pause between tracks?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I was just listning to my MP3 player on this computer to a song that is split into two tracks. (It's really 2 separete songs, but the transition between them is continous). In the MP3 player, there is a gap between the two songs, which makes it sound like a skip, when really it's just loading up the next track. When listning to the disc on a CD player, there is no gap between them, and the music continues and you cant even tell youve gone to the next track.

Is that feature preserved in the iPod, or would there be like a quarter second gap while it loads up the next song?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    no gap when i'm listening to mine, which is nice with all the pink floyd i've got on there.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    Yeah, Pink Floyd, great example.

And great news. Thnx.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    It stops between songs sometimes, like when you skip a few songs it already put in the 32 MB buffer.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    There have been hundreds of threads on why mp3 absolutely cannot switch songs without some sort of gap. If I stumble across one, I will post it here. Yet, I could be wrong about this of course, but I believe mp3 does not allow seamless transitions.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    thuh freakthuh freak Posts: 2,664member
    its attributable to the magick of a 20 minute buffer.

kind of similar to the magic of macy's, but different in its own respect.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    [quote]Originally posted by Jeremiah Rich:

<strong>There have been hundreds of threads on why mp3 absolutely cannot switch songs without some sort of gap. If I stumble across one, I will post it here. Yet, I could be wrong about this of course, but I believe mp3 does not allow seamless transitions.</strong><hr></blockquote>

If you use iTunes with with the crossfader on and set to "0 seconds" then it will be seamless. I'm not sure about the iPod. I expect it's possible with a firmware update so long as you don't skip songs (sorta defeats the purpose of having no gaps anyway.)
  • Reply 7 of 10
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    I've noticed that it does tend to leave a little gap between songs. Live recordings of concerts is a good way to tell. I've got a radiohead concert on cd that they put out and between every few songs there will be a gap. Kinda frustrating. Just waiting for the crossfade feature to make into a firmware update.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    hmm, must be a buffer issue. once you make it past the 20 min. limit, it needs to reload the music.

i wonder if it would be smart enough in the future to fill up the gap so that you don't ever have gaps between songs.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    iTunes--&gt;Advanced--&gt;Join Tracks

kills the bookmarkability, but preserves the no gap between tracks, and works in iPod
  • Reply 10 of 10
    Just got a 10GB iPod yesterday - have to say I'm digging it - love the interface, sound quality, design - thumbs up! But, the gap between songs is VERY annoying.

I have many albums like Zappa's "Apostrophe", that flow almost completely from start to finish, and the gap destroys the continuity. I know you can join as one MP3 to maintain the album spacing, but then you don't have individual song access - that makes no sense.

I haven't tried the crossfade feature, but it sounds like a bad solution that stills disrupts the original flow of the album. I'm very surprised that this is an issue. I generally don't use shuffle! I usually want to hear my albums in their entirety and original glory. But that's not to say that I will never want to get to the individual songs.

Is this really a limitation with MP3s? Seems hard to believe that there wouldn't be a solution. I'd be interested to see if the people who claim they're hearing no gap could elaborate - are you sure that's the case, or have you maybe not tried an album that really flows together? Or, are you using the join CD feature, cause this to me is not an option?

Any help would be appreciated.

fish