ABC, WSJ bloggers explain Apple's record iPhone launch numbers are bad news

Comments

• Reply 101 of 145
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    apple ][ wrote: »
    This is from the guy's twitter feed a few days ago. No wonder that he has an anti-Apple bias. He just doesn't get it, neither does Blackberry, Blackberry is soon dead and "Blackberry enthusiasts" are soon to be extinct.

sandy cannold ?@SandyCannold20 Sep
    <p style="margin-bottom:0px;margin-left:0px;margin-right:0px;margin-top:0px;">I will be so sad if blackberry doesn't survive.. I can't type on a device without a keyboard.. Fat fingers & digital keyboard don't mix..</p>
    How fat are this guy's fingers? Mine are pretty chubby, and I find fiddling about on a physical keyboard much harder than using a glass keyboard on either iOS or Android. To be fair, Blackberry's physical keyboards are better than most, but still...
    If I was so spectacularly shit at what I did for a living, and so utterly bollock-less I couldn't even admit I was wrong, I'd kill myself.
    Don't kill yourself: become a market analyst instead!

Seriously, it doesn't matter what any "analyst" says, there are no repercussions for their wrong statements, they can just keep on going. They're like psychics. If you're wrong, just keep going and eventually someone will think you're right.

notscott wrote: »
    Dicks.
    Such a well thought out and eloquent response.
    flux8 wrote: »
    Black is white, white is black. Up is down. Left is right.
    WAR IS PEACE
    FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
    IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

I've been trying to work out if the problem is that market analysts don't get technology, or that tech pundits don't get technology either. And neither of them really understands markets. All they ever do is spout their personal biases, and then, when proven wrong, explain how they weren't actually wrong, it's the facts that are wrong - the sales numbers aren't actually sales numbers, the phones aren't phones, the Apple Television Set will be out this quarter, definitely. Then, by the time the next cycle arrives, no-one will remember how much of a cock-up they made last time, and it starts all over again.
  • Reply 102 of 145
    Originally Posted by ybfmiami View Post

Apple simply needs to regain control of it public relations and spend more on advertising.

Question (I forget who’s asking it): “What are we going to do about the press? The Wall Street Journal reporters get up, sell Apple short in the morning, and then go write stories about us. And it’s clear it’s a perception versus reality problem. They don’t know shit about operating systems, they don’t know any thing about tools or what’s going on in the future. They don’t know that we’re building icebergs and that we’re building them from the bottom up.”

Steve Jobs: “Sure. I’m sure that a lot of you have had this experience where you’re changing; you’re growing as a person. And people tend to treat you like you’re where you were 18 months ago. And it’s really frustrating sometimes when you’re growing up and you’re becoming more capable; you have some personality quirks you’ve gotten rid of. And people still treat you like you were a year to 18 months ago. It can be very frustrating. It’s the same with a company, it’s the same with the press. The press is going to have a lag time. The best thing we can do about the press is embrace them, do the best we can to educate them about the strategy, but to keep the eye on the prize. And that is turning out some great products, communicating with our customers the best we can, getting the community of people–like yourselves–in the loop so you know everything, and just marching forward one foot in front of the other. The press will take care of–it’s like the stock price–the press and the stock price will take care of themselves. By the end of the year, it’s going to look quite different. And I, you know, I’m like an old man in this industry now. I’ve seen the ups and downs, and when you see enough of them, you know that’s going to happen. So when you get up in the morning and you see the press sell Apple short, go out and buy some shares!

*later*

Question: “So Apple has turned it around. We have you, we have Gil, we have G3, we have Rhapsody, we have Newton… great. When are we gonna see some really kick-ass TV commercials to change the mindset?”

Steve Jobs: “Yeah… I feel very good about [Apple turning around]. Um… I’ll give you my own opinion on this. Marketing is a subjective thing. It’s not a science; there’s a lot of art to it. My personal belief is that the medium does communicate a lot about the message. In some cases, the medium overrides the message. And I personally believe that Apple should not be on TV at all this year. It’s the wrong place to be for Apple. What it means is that Apple is trying to spend a lot of money to convince you that everything’s okay. And what I think Apple ought to be doing is taking a fraction of that money and putting it in print. And I don’t mean eight page Wall Street Journal ads. Because an eight page Wall Street Journal ad is saying, “I’m going to spend my wad to show you that I’m back.” And what Apple needs right now is not to be telling everyone we’re back, it needs for the journalists to be saying that Apple is back on page one. Because if on page 7 to 14 Apple’s spending a million dollars to say we’re back but on page one a journalist writes an article saying they’re in the tank, who’re you gonna believe? As a matter of fact, that million bucks on page 7-14 are gonna reinforce the message! “They’ve gotta buy me.”… …”I think that more than anything right now, PR is influencing purchasing decisions in this category… …I believe strongly that Apple really needs to talk about its great products and its great customers and its great applications and the best way for it to do that is in print in a very straightforward way. And I also believe very strongly that the high order bid of any market campaign is profitability. We spend a boatload of money marketing ourselves in a quarter and we lose money in that quarter… any positive momentum in that quarter is completely erased. So profitability is the high order bid for Apple at this time.

– Steve Jobs, WWDC 1997.

I recommend watching the entirety of Steve’s WWDC ’97 keynote. It is, I think, one of his best. Knowing the future after that speech shows you that he already knew exactly what Apple was going to be.

A few things he says–“We’re too proprietary”, “tell the clone makers they can build their own hardware!”, and “milk the Mac for all it’s worth and move on to the next thing” are off. But that’s Steve, you know? He saw that he was wrong and didn’t go down those paths. But he knew where he was right–about everything else!

In addition, Samsung pays higher commissions to sales staff in brick &mortar stores. These people end up pushing Samsung products as better than anything else.

Who cares? Apple has STORES. Samsung has kiosks and, if this is what you’re saying, pays off other companies’ employees to steal sales from Apple.

Samsung buys loyalty from the media & sales people.  Perhaps Tim Cook should get off some of that money and do the same. 

NO. Do you get anything about Apple? Apple has soul. Apple puts its soul into its products, who in turn have soul. These products connect with users because of how they are made. Nothing else, from any other company, does that. And you want Apple to whore itself out to the media?!

When we hear that employees of the four telecoms are being paid to sell Android over Apple, I rejoice. Because THEY CAN’T WIN ANY OTHER WAY. They have to sell their souls to sell their products. And Apple products sell themselves.

That should never change.

• Reply 103 of 145
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    creid1987 wrote: »
    Research analysts are most definitely restricted from trading names they cover. In fact, they are restricted from trading names their colleagues cover as well. Let's not go overborad with conspiracy theories. 

Haha. Kudos to you if you wrote that with a straight face. WS never breaks the law and always follows the rules.
  • Reply 104 of 145

Rupert Murdoch owns WSJ as well as FoxLies etc.  Murdoch  hates the current administration.  Tim Cook, Apple & SJ's widow viewed as friendly with this administration.  Hence the hatred of Apple from Murdoch in particular and right wing media in general.

• Reply 105 of 145
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    ybfmiami wrote: »
    Rupert Murdoch owns WSJ as well as FoxLies etc.  Murdoch  hates the current administration.  Tim Cook, Apple & SJ's widow viewed as friendly with this administration.  Hence the hatred of Apple from Murdoch in particular and right wing media in general.

Explain ABC and CNBC.
  • Reply 106 of 145
    Where will these assholes turn their attention to when AAPL goes private?
  • Reply 107 of 145
    "If you're explaining, you're losing." - Ronald Reagan and others
  • Reply 107 of 145
    Originally Posted by JackTheRat View Post
    Where will these assholes turn their attention to when AAPL goes private?

Hopefully GOOG and AMAZ, whose stock prices need a nice little (read: huge) tumble.

• Reply 109 of 145

I was simply talking about changing the media bias against Apple.

• Reply 110 of 145

CNBC is a FoxLies wanna be.  Can't explain ABC other than to say that person was just a blogger & this was a one off event.  CNBC & WSJ on the other hand are relentlessly anti-Apple.

• Reply 111 of 145
    I seem to remember Munster talking in the past that Apple doesn't report what they ship, only what they sell. And if there's a backlog of demand, does it matter? There's a picture of a man with egg on his face. It's long overdue for the SEC to investigate all the doom and gloom analysts to see which Hedge Fund is paying them to drive down the stock price of AAPL. Remember the spring earnings release when CNBC & Michelle Lee brought out the $425 guy and the price plummeted from $480 after the report to guess what - $425 - the next day?
    And everyone knows Cramer is the biggest HF hack of all, with the blessings of CNBC, apparently. Could any other new cell phone release get coverage on CBS Evening News besides Apple and be such a loser company?
  • Reply 112 of 145
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    johnarpy wrote: »
    I believe you will find that Apple only reports phones actually delivered to customers as sales. Inventory is never included.
    No I'm pretty sure Apple's sales figures include what resellers purchased from them. But no way would Apple have filed an 8K with the SEC adjusting their guidance to the high end of the range if that 9M included millions of unsold phones sitting in a reseller stockroom somewhere. Also it's unlikely that resellers would over purchase as they can't return unsold product to Apple for a refund. They purchase it, they sell it or eat it.
  • Reply 113 of 145
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    ybfmiami wrote: »
    CNBC, Bloomberg, Marketwatch, ABCNBCCBSCNNMSNBCBBC etc. are not right wing media. Also the only component of the WSJ that could be considered right wing is the editorial page.
  • Reply 114 of 145

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"Sell in," shorthand for shipping products that haven't yet sold, is only important when supplies are exceeding demand. If you sell out of your available stock, there is no distinction between your "sell in" and "sell through."

Ask Microsoft about sell in and writedowns.

$1 billion writedown for Surface already.  

And they're coming back for more punishment with Surface 2 and Surface Pro 2.

Microsoft: "Hey teens!  Check out our new, hip, Surface 2 and Surface Pro 2!"

The public: "There was a 1 ?"

• Reply 115 of 145

I didn't read the author's name at first. After reading this line: "Blackberry delivered one industry changing new product since its founding in 1984," however, I immediately recognized it as a DED piece. 

• Reply 116 of 145

Any fool with a keyboard can write an investment analysis and they often do.

• Reply 117 of 145
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OriginalG View Post

I wish Apple would just cut off analysts like Gene Munster. I mean, cut him off the earnings calls and all interviews. It obviously can't happen, but if Apple is willing to give him their time during calls to answer his questions, then at the very least he should take Apple at it's word instead of trying to fit their statement as some poor excuse for his awful analysis of the sales numbers. You lost what integrity you had, instead of just saying 'I must have missed something, I'll update my analysis'.

I wonder if he put money where his mouth is and shorted Apple. Or if his clients are on his case for screwing up.

I really hope they embarrass him on the next call. Name him as an example of how wrong analysts can be.

• Reply 118 of 145

Gotta love these idiotic Apple-hating fanboys (although I think idiotic Apple-loving fanboys are just as hilarious lol).

• Reply 119 of 145

Anti-Apple writers just don't get it... And, those who mock success (Apple's or anybody's) are just sore losers...

• Reply 120 of 145
    It is an absolute shame that these jealous fanboy anti-Apple "reporters" can be considered "professionals" and are given a highly visible media outlet to spread their uneducated drivel to the masses. They don't even know they lack pertinence, as blind as they are by their own self-importance.