Microsoft signals it's committed to Surface hardware for the long haul

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 60
    heliahelia Posts: 170member

Love the price, $1899 for 8gb RAM and 512g SSD! ;p

If i ever wanted to spend that much, Id go for rMBP, why would I go just for a tablet?!

• Reply 42 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Perhaps MS has a landfill subsidiary. A write-off for MS = profit for the landfills.

That's funny, I'd never made the connection.  Were you aware that Bill Gates owns 15% of Republic Services, which is the second largest landfill owner in the US (behind Waste Management)?  

No joke, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republic_Services

• Reply 43 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by diplication View Post

That was brave, if there had been a bus accident, they could have wiped out every last person in their user base.

That gets the post of the day....LOL.

• Reply 44 of 60
    They were also committed to XBox.

How long can MSFT lose money on this one before it turns a profit?

XBox is still losing money FYI
  • Reply 45 of 60
    diddydiddy Posts: 282member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by the cool gut View Post

XBox is still losing money FYI

Last I heard, it has been profitable for a couple of years now.  

• Reply 46 of 60
    This isn't going to end well. I still think the surface is pretty.
  • Reply 47 of 60

Now all they need is customers committed to buying it and they're ready for world domination! Oh, wait, that hasn't been working too well for them lately.

• Reply 48 of 60
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    I would look at the Surface Pro but it's $250-$300 overpriced
    besides lacking any good fun personal software for free.
    Microsoft has't figured out that they need to price it like an Android product,
    but with the software close to the iPad.
    (Atleast iTunes on the Pro would let you have your music and movies available).
  • Reply 49 of 60

I just can't believe how such a dumb bunch of goons ever got to create one of the largest and most successful (at least monetarily) corporation! I think it was all down to the success of Windows (a copy of Mac OS), which was never a good OS at all, but sold like iPhones only because it could be installed on a large variety of crappy third-party PCs, which costed a fraction of Macintoshes.

• Reply 50 of 60
    Originally Posted by crysisftw View Post
    I just can't believe how such a dumb bunch of goons ever got to create one of the largest and most successful (at least monetarily) corporation!

Gotta give Gates credit. Evil credit, but nonetheless.

• Reply 51 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NeverInDoubt View Post

Jan, 2009 MS "Deeply committed to the Zune"

http://www.businessinsider.com/2009/1/microsoft-deeply-committed-to-crash-prone-poorly-selling-zune-hardware-msft

February, 2011 Zune hardware sales phased out

http://techland.time.com/2011/02/16/microsoft-to-phase-out-zune/

You make a good point. Thank you for the interesting links.

• Reply 52 of 60

Here that sound in the distance?

That's the sound of M$ screwing its hardware partners over a hay bail under the full moon light in the corn fields...

• Reply 53 of 60
    g-newsg-news Posts: 1,107member

Hardware-software integration, what is that?

• Reply 54 of 60
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member

Everyone pissed on HP when they cut and run on the Touchpad after only a few weeks.  Give Microsoft credit for sticking to its guns, even when it's hurting.  They could still make something of this, the hardware seems good, and getting better, and though the OS approach is confused (and confusing), the Modern UI does have some attractions as an interface.

That said, the problem with Microsoft on tablets is that its home ground of cheap, commodity products has been upended by Android, so they're trying to compete with Apple with this Surface instead.  They're not good at that, they'd likely be better served by going back to their core competency; keeping their eye on being better, cheaper (or, since cheaper than free is hard, having a significant better price-quality proposition) and more pervasive than Android, and take the low-medium end.  Microsoft could do that, they have the chops, especially with service integration, and business deployment offerings.

I think Windows 8 on a Surface (or even a generic tablet) is a much more interesting and credible competitor to the iPad than a Galaxy Tab running Android's latest confectionery.  Hope Microsoft gets it together.

• Reply 55 of 60
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

..and blackberry was also committed to the consumer market for the "long haul", as they stated a few months ago,- until they weren't. 

• Reply 56 of 60
    And yet they may go through all Kamasutra positions with their Kickstand.

Don't mock the Kickstand; they'll need all the support they can get ¡
  • Reply 57 of 60

They're taking the X-Box approach - lose money on every unit sold for however long it takes to break even (maybe).  "Come hell or high water, dammit we're going to keep selling these things!"

• Reply 58 of 60
    diddy wrote: »
    Last I heard, it has been profitable for a couple of years now.  

Well, you heard wrong. It doesn't make money. That's a fact.
  • Reply 59 of 60
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    ash471 wrote: »
    That's funny, I'd never made the connection.  Were you aware that Bill Gates owns 15% of Republic Services, which is the second largest landfill owner in the US (behind Waste Management)?  
    No joke, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republic_Services

It makes sense really. Clever Bill. I doubt all the unsold Microsoft Crap is highly recyclable anyway plus it's a discreet way of solving the shelves full of unsold zuners (term for things MS make that are terrible flops). I just wonder if he has a contract with Scamsung to help them too. :D
  • Reply 60 of 60
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    philboogie wrote: »
    Don't mock the Kickstand; they'll need all the support they can get ¡

ROFL

Post of the day.