Apple's iPhone 5c margins, ASP expected to push AAPL previous estimates

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
A new report from Morgan Stanley suggests that the iPhone 5c's better-than-anticipated margins and popularity will propel Apple past previous analyst expectations.

Source: Morgan Stanley

The report from Morgan Stanley analyst Katy Huberty adjusts Apple's expected earnings per share for the fourth quarter of 2013 upward from $7.51 to $8.00, while holding the line on the stock's 'Overweight' rating and $540.00 price target. Huberty cites higher-than-anticipated margins from the iPhone 5c, which are in turn expected to drive average sale prices for the handset from $565 to $572.

Previous estimates were predicated on the idea that Cupertino would accept tighter gross margins in order to lower the cost of the then-unannounced iPhone 5c in a bid for marketshare in developing nations like Indonesia and Brazil. Apple instead chose to position the iPhone 5c at the upper-mid level of the smartphone market, which Huberty commented on in her post-introduction note to investors on Sept. 11.

"iPhone 5c priced higher than expected," she wrote at the time, "which may limit unit upside but alleviates margin concerns and puts upward pressure on ASPs."

In her latest report, Huberty also estimates that around 3 million of the 9 million iPhones Apple sold over the weekend were iPhone 5s units, with 4 million iPhone 5c units moved. The remainder are believed to represent 1 to 2 weeks of channel inventory for Apple's retail partners.

Huberty is not alone in predicting increased earnings for Apple ? several analysts reacted positively to the company's opening weekend iPhones sales announcement, while Apple revised their own guidance upward on Monday.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 28
    Note to analyst - Increase your estimate on Apple 20%. We can't have Apple beat our estimates!!!
  • Reply 2 of 28
    A little different from flip-flop G Munster.
  • Reply 3 of 28
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    I can play this guessing game too. Apple will (fail/succeed) because it priced the 5C (too high/just right). I predicted Apple would (sell/ship) (5MM/7MM/9MM) iPhones. I am never wrong. If Apple did (ship/sell) more iPhones, it's because they stuffed the channels.
  • Reply 4 of 28
    Seems contradictory to everything else coming out-- looks much more like 7MM 5S and 2MM 5C, and the channel sell-through seems to be exceptionally high. I imagine there could easily be 1MM 5C units stuffed in the channel, but that really seems like a longshot-- Apple would have needed to be disappointed with 5C pre-orders to do a stunt like that, and even then it seems uncharacteristic.
  • Reply 5 of 28
    512ke512ke Posts: 782member
    Blah blah blah earnings. Blah blah blah share price. Blah blah concerns. Expectations blah blah. Margins blah blah blah. Recommendations blah blah blah. Blah blah blah inventory.

There, I'm about as reliable an Analysts as any of them.

(Then tomorrow I flip flop and say exactly the opposite.)

Yes lol, I am highly frustrating seeing these dummy Analysts on every web page I like to visit.
  • Reply 6 of 28
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post
    “iPhone 5c priced higher than expected,” she wrote…

The expectations of utter idiots don’t count, sweetheart.

• Reply 7 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

The expectations of utter idiots don’t count, sweetheart.

[anal-yst mode]

But had they only priced the 5c at 5 cents they would have sold eleventy billion!!!

[/anal-lyst mode]

• Reply 8 of 28
    Quote:

Originally Posted by APPLGUY View Post

Note to analyst - Increase your estimate on Apple 20%. We can't have Apple beat our estimates!!!

agreed.  Although, we may hear something like.

"You didn't beat our estimates by the amount we secretly thought you would beat our estimates by…"

That guidance yesterday should trigger everyone one into thinking that Apple really didn't think they would ship the iPhone 5s until October, or at least till this week.  The math seems to indicate the opening weekend sales is almost exactly the amount of the guidance.   2Billion of extra profit this quarter split evenly on increased revenues (sales of 5s) and greater margins (5c, and apparently 5s as well).

There will be some naysayers that opine that they can start 'lowering' prices and say they are taking short term profits and turning away long term growth, but given the fact that the Apple retains iPhone users better than Android does, the long game is still in Apple's favor.   No one appears to be beating them on Price AND mass** consumer's desired functionality.  

(** NOTE: MASS means people who don't have an CS, EE, or read Dalvik  or ObjC code, or wallow on AI more than 2 times a year).
  • Reply 9 of 28
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Huberty cites higher-than-anticipated margins from the iPhone 5c, which are in turn expected to drive average sale prices for the handset from $565 to $572.

Just how in the world would higher margins drive a higher average selling price?

Huberty doesn't even understand business 101. Why in the world would anyone pay attention to her?
  • Reply 10 of 28
    If you are a talentless, bumbling fool, with no concept of business, mathematics, or economics... we have a job for you, Financial Analyst on Wall Street. Clowns all. I'm so glad I'm out of the market. There are so many other better ways to invest without making fools like these financial clowns rich.
  • Reply 11 of 28
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    agreed.  Although, we may hear something like.

"You didn't beat our estimates by the amount we secretly thought you would beat our estimates by…"

That guidance yesterday should trigger everyone one into thinking that Apple really didn't think they would ship the iPhone 5s until October, or at least till this week.  The math seems to indicate the opening weekend sales is almost exactly the amount of the guidance.   2Billion of extra profit this quarter split evenly on increased revenues (sales of 5s) and greater margins (5c, and apparently 5s as well).

Actually, I think the guidance yesterday was intended to do just the opposite. By saying that the new numbers were within the previous guidance range (albeit on the high side of that range), Cook is telling people not to get carried away with their wild predictions.
  • Reply 12 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

A new report from Morgan Stanley suggests that the iPhone 5c's better-than-anticipated margins and popularity will propel Apple past previous analyst expectations.

Source: Morgan Stanley

The report from Morgan Stanley analyst Katy Huberty adjusts Apple's expected earnings per share for the fourth quarter of 2013 upward from $7.51 to $8.00, while holding the line on the stock's 'Overweight' rating and $540.00 price target. Huberty cites higher-than-anticipated margins from the iPhone 5c, which are in turn expected to drive average sale prices for the handset from $565 to $572.

Previous estimates were predicated on the idea that Cupertino would accept tighter gross margins in order to lower the cost of the then-unannounced iPhone 5c in a bid for marketshare in developing nations like Indonesia and Brazil. Apple instead chose to position the iPhone 5c at the upper-mid level of the smartphone market, which Huberty commented on in her post-introduction note to investors on Sept. 11.

"iPhone 5c priced higher than expected," she wrote at the time, "which may limit unit upside but alleviates margin concerns and puts upward pressure on ASPs."

In her latest report, Huberty also estimates that around 3 million of the 9 million iPhones Apple sold over the weekend were iPhone 5s units, with 4 million iPhone 5c units moved. The remainder are believed to represent 1 to 2 weeks of channel inventory for Apple's retail partners.

Huberty is not alone in predicting increased earnings for Apple ? several analysts reacted positively to the company's opening weekend iPhones sales announcement, while Apple revised their own guidance upward on Monday.

I'm shocked, shocked!

Investment Analysts look out the window and see that Apple delivers - whatever dismal result's they erroneously, and continously,  predict.

Note to "Investment Analysts": try to be professional and look at market realities rather than just writing pablum copy - we have journalists for that.

• Reply 13 of 28
    If you are a talentless, bumbling fool, with no concept of business, mathematics, or economics... we have a job for you, Financial Analyst on Wall Street. Clowns all. I'm so glad I'm out of the market. There are so many other better ways to invest without making fools like these financial clowns rich.

You're "out of the market"? Where do you keep your money?
  • Reply 14 of 28

In a followup statement, Katy Huberty also mentions that 4 of the 5 total Zune RT owners are also expected to preorder the Zune RT 2. A 300% gain from the original Zune RT.

• Reply 15 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

You're "out of the market"? Where do you keep your money?

In a can tucked safely behind a hole in the drywall.

• Reply 16 of 28
    Old friend Gene Munster. http://blogs.marketwatch.com/thetell/2013/09/24/apples-big-iphone-beat-may-have-gotten-boost-from-unsold-5cs/

"At least two analysts have estimated that part of the big beat came from units of the iPhone 5C that have been shipped to other retailers – but not necessarily sold through to customers. Gene Munster of Piper Jaffray wrote on Monday that he believes about 3.5 million units of the iPhone 5C represent a “sell-in” to other retailers. Apple recognizes a sale when a customer buys a product through its own store and Web site, as well as when it ships a product to a retail partner. Munster noted that all versions of the iPhone 5C remain available on Apple’s Web site to ship within 24 hours of order."
  • Reply 17 of 28
    Quote:

The remainder are believed to represent 1 to 2 weeks of channel inventory for Apple's retail partners.

What channel inventory?  "Believed"  Where did they get that one from the crack of there bums. Nobody has any iPhone 5s's.  I mean nobody.  These dumb asses will just not admit that there incompetent and wrong. So they make up this channel inventory b s.  

To quote Apples actual press release:

Quote:

CUPERTINO, California?September 23, 2013?Apple® today announced it has sold a record-breaking nine million new iPhone® 5s and iPhone 5c models, just three days after the launch of the new iPhones on September 20. In addition, more than 200 million iOS devices are now running the completely redesigned iOS 7, making it the fastest software upgrade in history.

Note nowhere in there does it say shipped, or shipped to channel inventory.  It says "SOLD".  And Apple adjusted its outlook accordingly with the SEC with there Form 8k filing.

I just don't see how these buffoons can look at themselves in the mirror in the morning and stand themselves.  

What outright liars they are.

• Reply 18 of 28
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    mechanic wrote: »
    What channel inventory?  "Believed"  Where did they get that one from the crack of there bums. Nobody has any iPhone 5s's.  I mean nobody.  These dumb asses will just not admit that there incompetent and wrong. So they make up this channel inventory b s.  

To quote Apples actual press release:
    Note nowhere in there does it say shipped, or shipped to channel inventory.  It says "SOLD".  And Apple adjusted its outlook accordingly with the SEC with there Form 8k filing.

I just don't see how these buffoons can look at themselves in the mirror in the morning and stand themselves.  
    What outright liars they are.

A sale to Walmart is just as much a sale as one to you personally as far as Apple's accounting is concerned. FWIW I don't believe there's any shortage of 5c's, particularly if you're not picky about the color. Check with Verizon or Sprint if you doubt it. Even a local check for the 5s shows them in-stock at Sprint in several Central Florida locations, ready and waiting for someone to take them off their hands.

There's new iPhones in the channel and yes they're counted as sales sitting on a Sprint or Walmart shelf as far as Apple is concerned.
  • Reply 19 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

A sale to Walmart is just as much a sale as one to you as far as Apple's accounting is concerned. FWIW I don't believe there's any shortage of 5c's, particularly if you're not picky about the color. Check with Verizon or Sprint if you doubt it. Even a local check for the 5s shows them in-stock at Sprint at least throughout various Central Florida locations, ready and waiting for someone to take them off their hands.

There's new iPhones in the channel and yes they're counted as sales sitting on a Sprint or Walmart shelf as far as Apple is concerned.

I think you can pick up any color within 24 hours.

• Reply 20 of 28
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    I just saw a listing of revisions of analyst price projections made this afternoon:

* Apple : Barclays raises target price to $540 from $525; rating overweight
    * Apple : Canaccord Genuity raises price target to $560 from $550; rating buy
    * Apple : Deutsche Bank raises price target to $575 from $480; rating buy
    * Apple : Goldman Sachs raises price target to $560 from $530; rating buy
    * Apple : Susquehanna raises to positive from neutral - Theflyonthewall.com