Rumor: Apple working on 12" iPad with partner manufacturer Quanta

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
A report out of the Far East on Tuesday claims Apple is teaming up with longtime partner manufacturer Quanta Computer to develop a 12-inch version of the iPad, reigniting speculation that the company is mulling a larger tablet model.

iPad

According to Chinese publication United Daily News (via Mac Otakara), Apple is actively working on a larger-screened iPad that will supposedly be constructed by Quanta.

The Taiwan-based manufacturer has produced Apple products for years, including notebooks, the video iPod in 2006 and, more recently, the latest MacBook Air models.

Tuesday's report claims Quanta is looking to diversify away from thin-and-light laptop production as that market is quickly being taken over by tablets like the iPad. Analysts expect the rise of the tablet to also negatively impact Apple's own MacBook sales, causing some to speculate that a wider range of iPad offerings is on the horizon.

Rumors of a bigger iPad form factor are nothing new. A report from The Wall Street Journal in July claimed Apple is exploring a possible 13-inch tablet to sate consumer demand for larger screens.

Apple is expected to unveil its next-generation iPad lineup later this fall, the highlight being a supposedly redesigned 9.7-inch model that borrows its styling from the current iPad mini. If the numerous parts "leaks" that have been circulating around the Web are in fact legitimate, the device will be slimmer with thinner side bezels and a more curvaceous chassis.

Also rumored for reveal is a Retina display-toting iPad mini, though hard evidence backing up such claims has yet to appear.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 83

Add a pressure sensitive pen and I'll be all over it.

• Reply 2 of 83
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,631member
    If there is a 12-13" iPad coming, it likely won't come until next year. And if it did, it better be more than just iOS7. A7 processor and MacOSX capability, perhaps?
  • Reply 3 of 83
    Well if it's got room in it, add the phone components so one can make calls and have a true phablet and end the complaints for an iPhone with a larger than 4" screen.
  • Reply 4 of 83
    tnsftnsf Posts: 203member
    I think a larger iPad is a great idea for industry applications. Go for it!
  • Reply 5 of 83
    wovelwovel Posts: 956member
    rot'napple wrote: »
    Well if it's got room in it, add the phone components so one can make calls and have a true phablet and end the complaints for an iPhone with a larger than 4" screen.

Awesome. That will send Samsung scrambling to release a 16" phone.
  • Reply 6 of 83
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member

When do you think the iPad event will be?

October or November?

• Reply 7 of 83
    ronboronbo Posts: 669member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wovel View Post

Awesome. That will send Samsung scrambling to release a 16" phone.

Well played.

• Reply 8 of 83

I'm guessing no.

• Reply 9 of 83
    It is not true, it is totally overlapping Macbook Air..... unless... a touch screen MBA?
  • Reply 10 of 83
    God I hope not...
  • Reply 11 of 83
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,092member

The got it mixed up.  It's simply Samsung's next pocket phone.

• Reply 12 of 83
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Eriamjh View Post

If there is a 12-13" iPad coming, it likely won't come until next year. And if it did, it better be more than just iOS7. A7 processor and MacOSX capability, perhaps?

That's my take also. I doubt such a thing would be a typical ios device.

• Reply 13 of 83
    Yes, that is the way to go no doubt, the bigger the better!
  • Reply 14 of 83

What a difference a few inches makes.

• Reply 15 of 83
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TNSF View Post

I think a larger iPad is a great idea for industry applications. Go for it!

I could see a market for this. Is it possible that this larger iPad would be built (not specifically but primarily) for enterprise/retail, used for point-of-purchase and informational use like the current iPad is being used?

If Apple eventually work their way up to a 17" iPad and not bring back the 17"MBP, I'm going to be more than a tad miffed!

?

• Reply 16 of 83

I WANT TO BELIEVE

• Reply 17 of 83
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bobborries View Post

That's what she said.

• Reply 18 of 83
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Ursadorable View Post

Add a pressure sensitive pen and I'll be all over it.

Apple has several patents for it. In fact, they've been receiving quite a few of them as they refine their development.

• Reply 19 of 83
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bobborries View Post

You would scale up the keyboard by adding the numeric pad.

• Reply 20 of 83
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Eriamjh View Post

You really don't understand how much less powerful the A7 is to try and run OS X.