Rumor: Apple working on 12" iPad with partner manufacturer Quanta

Comments

• Reply 21 of 83
    I think the large size would be incredible. The iPad is constantly being redefined as developers and users get a better understanding of its potential. As a musician, i love the tactile feel of the touchscreen. It's something i miss in music production software on a traditional desktop platform. A larger iPad would be fantastic for music production as well as many other applications. I would definitely buy one
  • Reply 22 of 83
    That's what I'm waiting for to upgrade. I don't need it to run OS X I have a MBA and Mac Pro for that. I need an iPad with better readability.
  • Reply 23 of 83
    I want this. I salivate over the thought of a 12" iPad. Woo hoo!
  • Reply 24 of 83
    Oh no's that would mean another screen size to complicate the lives of developers. I mean that's the line yammered over and over when a larger iPhone is discussed.
  • Reply 25 of 83
    Having an iPad and an 11" MBA, I really think that a hybrid is viable. It's not that I would carry it everywhere that I would an iPad. In fact, if I had a hybrid, I'd be much more likely to get an iPad Mini for toting around. But I really long to be able to use IOS apps on my MBA at times, and being able to switch back and forth and choose between touch screen (with the keyboard detached or turned all the way back to act as a stand?) and using keyboard/magicpad/cursor control of Mac OS X apps would be so lovely. It would eliminate the need for the 9.7" iPad.
  • Reply 26 of 83
    Quote:

Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

When do you think the iPad event will be?

October or November?

I hope October - I'm ready to buy.  But I doubt we'll see a larger iPad anytime soon. 

• Reply 27 of 83
    An interesting idea.

I would hope the OS would be optimized for such a device because as if now iOS 7 waste too much space on bigger screens and the touch points in OSX would be too small for fingers on a 12 inch screen

Maybe a whole new interface will be used?
  • Reply 28 of 83
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TNSF View Post

I think a larger iPad is a great idea for industry applications. Go for it!

Agreed! It could be also used for small group presentations.

I could see using it for personal use. An iP5s and an iPad Mini for out-&-about and a 13" sitting on my coffee table for home use. Everything I do is more fun on the iPad.

I don't really want to sit at a desk and work on an iMac. And I really don't want to carry an MBA around either. Even though the iMac and MBA are exceptional machines.
  • Reply 29 of 83
    bunlo wrote: »
    It is not true, it is totally overlapping Macbook Air..... unless... a touch screen MBA?
    No way, plus you never know, they might just discontinue the MacBook airs 11 inch (make 13 have less bezel, drop $100 and add a 15 inch version of it) besides the screen there is a lot of room in hardware between a current iPad and a MacBook (obviously even in 11 in. MBA and 9.7 in. IPad) with this also being $700-900 in ints own category
    bobborries wrote: »
    <p style="color:rgb(0,0,0);min-height:14px;">What a difference a few inches makes.</p>

<p style="color:rgb(0,0,0);min-height:14px;"> </p>

<p style="color:rgb(0,0,0);min-height:14px;">Ipad27Garageband.png</p>

<p style="color:rgb(0,0,0);min-height:14px;"> </p>

iPadPaint.png

iPadPages.png
    yeah I just think they could add a lot more with the extra screen like a trackpad by keyboard (on OS-X) or combing the numerical there, great for people with bad iSight.

You really don't understand how much less powerful the A7 is to try and run OS X.
    Obviously it will probably have A8X or later, but let's not forget the design of the first iPhone was based off a less powerful chip running OS-X.

eriamjh wrote: »
    If there is a 12-13" iPad coming, it likely won't come until next year. And if it did, it better be more than just iOS7. A7 processor and MacOSX capability, perhaps?
    Probably not this year, we likely won't see OS-X on it, probably never will on a less than $1000 mobile device.

Having an iPad and an 11" MBA, I really think that a hybrid is viable. It's not that I would carry it everywhere that I would an iPad. In fact, if I had a hybrid, I'd be much more likely to get an iPad Mini for toting around. But I really long to be able to use IOS apps on my MBA at times, and being able to switch back and forth and choose between touch screen (with the keyboard detached or turned all the way back to act as a stand?) and using keyboard/magicpad/cursor control of Mac OS X apps would be so lovely. It would eliminate the need for the 9.7" iPad.
    I really doubt that, ever notice all the other hybrid laptop/tablets have failed?
  • Reply 30 of 83
    I'd rather that Apple focused on making the 9.7" thinner and lighter.

A 12" sounds nutty. I am not buying it.
  • Reply 31 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shojin Monkey View Post

That's exactly what I'm thinking too. And unlike pessimistic mdriftmeyer, I think that the A7 booting from an SSD with extra RAM would be quite snappy performance-wise for running most OS X-level apps. Anandtech's benchmarks back this up:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7335/the-iphone-5s-review/6

iMacBook?

Make the case light but sturdy plastic like the old MacBooks and start the price around $700, I would very, very likely buy one.

• Reply 32 of 83

TS will love this rumor!

• Reply 33 of 83
    You know, with that configuration, there would be even less reason to buy an MS surface.
  • Reply 34 of 83
    That's what she said.
    Your name makes this an even better joke!
  • Reply 35 of 83
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Eriamjh View Post

If there is a 12-13" iPad coming, it likely won't come until next year. And if it did, it better be more than just iOS7. A7 processor and MacOSX capability, perhaps?

If such a tablet comes, it will be iOS. That's where the apps and the sales are. Also, OS X hasn't been designed (or re-designed) for touch.Until you see evidence that Apple is re-engineering OS X for touch (and that will be a truly massive project, the signs of which no one will be able to hide), then don't spend useless energy demanding the one thing that has a 0% chance of being true.

• Reply 36 of 83
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

You really don't understand how much less powerful the A7 is to try and run OS X.

Even for an "unapologetically plastic" MacBook Air? I defer to your technical knowledge, but that interesting rumor about the 17 watt power adaptor got me thinking. Although a larger iPad is probably more likely, I think a line of cheaper, ARM-based MBAs might be a big hit. Apple surprised me* by pricing the iPhone (c) at $99-199, and showing that they haven't yet saturated the upper end of market the for iPhones. But I think the computer market may be different. An Intel-tax free MBA could allow for hefty margins as well as great sales.

*Along with a lot of analysts (although unlike them I don't presume to know more than Apple)
  • Reply 37 of 83

I think a 12" iPad would be great! I want portability, but I don't need the power of a notebook, but I want a larger size screen than current iPads. 

• Reply 38 of 83

I 100% buy this rumor, sight unseen, first impression, whatever you want to call it.

Originally Posted by bobborries View Post

The delicious future of ALL mobile computing. With a 12” and 15” iPad, laptops don’t need to exist.

• Reply 39 of 83

It is about darned time. I've been wanting this since the iPad first arrived. And perhaps with that kind of real estate they can make it thin as well.

• Reply 40 of 83
    Wouldn't it be a crackup if you could run Windows 8 on that?