New images of purported next-gen iPad casing show 'space gray' and silver color options

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
High quality images purporting to show a chassis bound for Apple's expected next-generation iPad hit the Web on Tuesday, offering a peek at how the casing may look dressed in the company's new "space gray" color.

The images come from Australian blogger Sonny Dickson, who claims the space gray and silver colored aluminum parts belong to the so-called "iPad 5," which many industry watchers expect Apple to introduce alongside a refreshed "iPad mini 2" later this year.

Apple first introduced the space gray color variation at the recent iPhone 5s unveiling on Sept. 10. Alongside the iPhone, the hue is now available as an option for the iPod touch, nano and shuffle products.

Tuesday's photos add to the growing mound of alleged next-gen iPad leaks, the most recent being photos of a space gray "iPad mini 2" shell published last week.

Apple is thought to be redesigning the 9.7-inch iPad with cues taken from the current iPad mini, such as thinner bezels and rounded edges. With the changes, the device should be a bit slimmer than its predecessor and boast a substantially decreased footprint, meaning internal space will be at a premium. Earlier this month a video compared the purportedly leaked casings against Apple's current fourth-generation tablet and iPad mini, highlighting the differences in size and shape.

Analyst Ming-Chi Kuo, who has in the past been accurate in predicting Apple product launches, said parts for both iPad models should start shipping to manufacturers at the end of September ahead of mass production and a quarter four release. Apple will likely phase out the current iPad when the new model debuts, Kuo notes, though iPad mini production is expected to continue until a low-budget version lands in 2014.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    If this is the real deal, I've got to say the width doesn't look as narrow as expected. Not the same "tall rectangular" cut as an iPad Mini. Maybe a bit narrower than my current iPad, but not as much as expected.

I'm hoping Apple can get the weight of a full size iPad 9.7" closer to a pound (or less!). That would justify an upgrade in a hot minute for me...
  • Reply 2 of 21
    Couldn't see or edit my last post. so updating here%u2026 I went to Dickson's site and saw the rest of the photos. The proportions in those look more as expected. So perhaps it's the real deal!

I'm still inclined to stick with the silver/white. Fingerprints show up so much less on that one!
  • Reply 3 of 21
    Ah, the low budget ipad to go with that new low budget iphone.
  • Reply 4 of 21
    Where's the champagne gold option?
  • Reply 5 of 21

The iPad mini weighs 310 g. So scaled up 25% linear (diagonal) that should come to between 480 g (mass ? d^2) and 600 g (mass ? d^3). Probably closer to the former (under 1 'pound' [aka ye ancient american unit]) since the mass is mainly determined by area: a sensor pane at the front and an Al-sheet the at back (assuming same thickness as the iPad mini for each). 

• Reply 6 of 21
    It seems Apple is taking it's tiered approach to its iPod line and using it for iPhone and possible iPad. Each year they released new versions of iPods each designed for a price point. The iPhone 5s and 5c remind me of the iPod (before it was a classic) and the iPod mini (before the nano). It makes sense to separate the iPad line into two tiers as well. If using a polycarbonate back and last year's internals cut $100 off the price of a iPhone 5, could a similarly designed iPad mini "2c" achieve the price of $229? Or maybe even break the $200 threshold of $199? That would require Apple's competitors to go back to the drawing board once again. I have to believe that 2014 might be an awesome year of product for Apple and the opportunity to introduce millions of new customers to the brand.
  • Reply 7 of 21

I was hoping for an all-black iPad(5) that looked like a larger version of the iPad Mini. I honestly just don't like the "Space Gray" that is to me akin to silver colour for cars... uninteresting if not down right blah!

• Reply 8 of 21
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    ipilya wrote: »
    I was hoping for an all-black iPad(5) that looked like a larger version of the iPad Mini. I honestly just don't like the "Space Gray" that is to me akin to silver colour for cars... uninteresting if not down right blah!

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder- and I disagree. I prefer space gray. Particularly on my phone- and if prefer my iPad to match.

What isn't in the eye of the beholder is how easy the black scratched on the previous iPhone. Space gray was a necessity if they wanted their products to look good for years- like all apple products do.
  • Reply 9 of 21
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    It seems Apple is taking it's tiered approach to its iPod line and using it for iPhone and possible iPad. Each year they released new versions of iPods each designed for a price point. The iPhone 5s and 5c remind me of the iPod (before it was a classic) and the iPod mini (before the nano). It makes sense to separate the iPad line into two tiers as well. If using a polycarbonate back and last year's internals cut $100 off the price of a iPhone 5, could a similarly designed iPad mini "2c" achieve the price of $229? Or maybe even break the $200 threshold of $199? That would require Apple's competitors to go back to the drawing board once again. I have to believe that 2014 might be an awesome year of product for Apple and the opportunity to introduce millions of new customers to the brand.
    You won't see it this year. Internals are still a surprise, but external casings are leaked weeks, sometimes months beforehand, and are continuously accurate. So you'll know about a "mini 2C" before it gets released.

I also think that's a bad idea. It's $329 for heavens sake for the mini- Not $550 like the 5C. I'd rather it sport an A7 and retina and be $379 before I see a crapped out version for cheap.
  • Reply 10 of 21
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by iPilya View Post

I have a black iPad Mini, and I too was hoping for a similar black iPad 5, but it doesn't look like it's going to happen, so I'm just going to have to go with one of the other colors for now.

• Reply 11 of 21

Some people may not agree with me here, so please remember that this is only my personal opinion.

I currently own an iPad 3rd Gen, along with my MBP and iPhone. But to be honest, I'm starting to think that the iPad really is just a big screen iPod, and is becoming more and more inefficient. It still is a major part of my working routine, where I mainly use the iPad for Skype (while typing and working on the mac) and browsing the internet on my bed before I sleep. But what else is it useful for when I have a less portable device (MBP) that can do everything my iPad can do but with greater efficiency? For me, not much anymore.

Occasionally I set it aside to be my spotify controller with the sound hooked up to my system, other times it's on my weather app (Clear Day), or on my RSS feed (Feedly). Yes, these apps are still an integral part of my work setup, but having not being able to have two apps next to each other really kills it for me. I've heard before that Apple doesn't like including news or other widgets on the main lockscreen. I can understand that for the iPod/iPhone, but for the iPad, I think it really is just wasted space not having anything but the clock on the lock screen. The iPad can serve as a rolling/active information center with multiple apps running side by side on one screen, yet Apple hasn't allowed any of this.

My main question is, as polished as iOS is, does anyone here wish that iOS for the iPad/iPad mini can be a little more "space-efficient"? The huge icons on the home screen doesn't have to be so big does it? Why can't two apps run side by side, and be able to drag words/links/pictures directly from one app to another? The new notification center fixes my lockscreen problem a bit, seeing that at least it reports the weather and my upcoming calendar to-dos. But yet I still wouldn't let my NC stay pulled down over my lockscreen because the NC is just a dull shade of grey! I'm not as tech-savvy as many of you on this forum, so I'd actually want to hear many of your opinions and why so, instead of just pointing where I'm wrong and leave it at that. Maybe some of these features that I'm thinking of could consume a lot of power, maybe it would require the developers to re-make all of their apps, I don't know. Please educate me?

• Reply 12 of 21
    Will it require a 17W adapter?
  • Reply 14 of 21
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    fazzter wrote: »

Samsung will have it available shortly with a pink or brown front option.
  • Reply 15 of 21

Uh, has it not dawned on anyone there that gold would be a good color to add?  Little slow on the uptake given the demand for the gold iPhone and what gold means in China.  

• Reply 16 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tkell31 View Post

Uh, has it not dawned on anyone there that gold would be a good color to add?  Little slow on the uptake given the demand for the gold iPhone and what gold means in China.  

Clearly the people running Apple have no clue. It's a good thing the armchair CEOs like yourself are around to teach them how to run things.

• Reply 17 of 21
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by faZZter View Post

Samsung will have it available shortly with a pink or brown front option.

Haha! Yes, I'm sure they will.

• Reply 18 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MikeJones View Post

Clearly the people running Apple have no clue. It's a good thing the armchair CEOs like yourself are around to teach them how to run things.

Are you seriously implying it wouldnt make a lot of sense to have a gold option?  What is it about fanatics that they assume their hero's can do no wrong?

• Reply 19 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tkell31 View Post

Are you seriously implying it wouldnt make a lot of sense to have a gold option?  What is it about fanatics that they assume their hero's can do no wrong?

I implied no such thing. I was simply pointing out that you have no idea what Apple's actual plan is so lecturing them about how they aren't doing something (which you have no clue that they aren't doing) as if they don't know how to run their business is amusing. Oh and your mind reading skills suck. Apple is not my "hero" in any sort of way. Pointing out that you're a clueless armchair CEO does not imply Apple does no wrong either.

• Reply 20 of 21
    I'm sure the Space Gray will look nicer in person than in photos, but I have the iPad mini in black/slate and really like the finish. For the most part it has weathered well, though one small spot where I hold it most often has rubbed out to reveal the aluminum finish beneath. But given the option I'd choose this color again with a new mini. It's a very flattering color on the device.