Samsung follows Apple's lead, announces new gold edition of Galaxy S4

Comments

• Reply 81 of 251

The comments on here are funny and who cares about colors? Apple copies Android and Samsung just like the others copy Apple. Apple has stolen or borrowed almost everything they have done and in turn created great products. It's how business works. I own both Apple and Android / Samsung products unlike many who are sheep to one brand on here. The innovation and advances that both brands show only makes for better products for all of us. And yes, Android, Samsung and others innovate and push Apple to try harder. I just wish Apple had some more innovation left than to just add a different color to their phones or an old technology like fingerprint security.

Not sure why the Apple folks get so fired up about something meaningless like color. 

• Reply 82 of 251
    damonf wrote: »
    I had read that some wine entity in France might sue Apple for using "champagne" as the color name, because it's a trademarked term for sparkling wine produced in their Champagne region.

I'd like to see them try, because they've never defended the use of the word in marketing. Remember folks, it's only wrong when Apple does it.
  • Reply 83 of 251
    NoShamesung at it again.
  • Reply 84 of 251
    Apple hasn't invent colour, but they are first in smart mobile to think of keeping that colour. Samsung just copies of apple, apple is luxury car. Samsung is like small car launching everytime a phone in a month to make money and give shit to old customers
  • Reply 85 of 251
    damonf wrote: »
    That's great, Samsung. What will you think of blatantly copying from Apple next? Notice how little of the gold you get to see in the photo, just a smidge on the side of the device. Must be "fool's gold".

Samsung's R&D costs should be pretty low, given how "original" their products truly are.
    Not a single engineer or industrial designer in their R&D department ... They specialize in espionage ...

To be fair, SJ said great artists steal ... Apple's problem is, being out in front, they run out of people to steal from ...
  • Reply 86 of 251
    Wow. Those copy machines work fast. Less than a week. Next week the 128 bit processor.
  • Reply 87 of 251
    The least they could have done is introduced a bunch of colors and then have the gold one be one of the offered colors. They are kind of embarrassing themselves.
  • Reply 88 of 251
    The comments on here are funny and who cares about colors? Apple copies Android and Samsung just like the others copy Apple. Apple has stolen or borrowed almost everything they have done and in turn created great products. It's how business works. I own both Apple and Android / Samsung products unlike many who are sheep to one brand on here. The innovation and advances that both brands show only makes for better products for all of us. And yes, Android, Samsung and others innovate and push Apple to try harder. I just wish Apple had some more innovation left than to just add a different color to their phones or an old technology like fingerprint security.

Not sure why the Apple folks get so fired up about something meaningless like color. 
    If Apple wants to copy Samsung, they just have to copy themselves.

If fingerprint technology is old, I guess I'm ancient. No one seems to get fingerprinting right - until now. I'd say the technology is just coming out of puberty.
  • Reply 89 of 251
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

The MBA, in particular, is in a tough position. How do you make it better? It's already extremely thin and light. It's more powerful than most users need. While performance is limited by availability of components, even if Intel came out with a new CPU that was 10 times as powerful and used no more energy, most MBA users would never notice the difference. The same is true of essentially all PCs - even a cheap PC is good enough for most users for the foreseeable future. Upgrade pressure is therefore greatly reduced.

Now, a different color doesn't address that issue directly, but it would at least differentiate the latest versions.

Yes, to me, Apple seems to have mastered the art of making a portable with the MBA. And the Desktop with iMac, the iPad and now the mobile phone the 5s. 

I was in the Apple store last weekend and I was truly impressed as I looked over the store at the remarkable display of products Apple has. When you see them all in one place, it is amazing.

• Reply 90 of 251

I would suggest everyone stop complaining. If Apple releases a larger screen for the iPhone 6, Fandroids will be calling us out for the same thing. Companies will follow market trends no matter who starts them.

• Reply 91 of 251
    Samsung should rename their phones to: "iCopy"
  • Reply 92 of 251
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by smackdown View Post

Samsung needs a "spokesperson" and "creative director" for their brand. (Remember Alicia Keys and Blackberry?) :???:

Kim Kardashian would be perfect for Samsung.

Cheap. Fake. Classless. Now that's a person that represents Samsung's target market quite well.

• Reply 93 of 251
    That's just butt ugly!!
  • Reply 94 of 251
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    jakeu26 wrote: »

Yeah, but who had really brought a gold phone to the market like this before Apple? Apple didn't invent color either, but the Macs with it were hugely revolutionary.

Actually, there have been other gold phones on the market before. Just search for 'gold mobile phone' and you'll see lots of examples.
    akqies wrote: »
    That's my problem with this. It's not that they said, "Hey, gold is popular, let's do that." it's that they are doing a bad version of it after being shown the way. On top of that this promotional image fails by showing a gold background for the gold S4. Why obfuscate the device by camouflaging it with a gold background?

Actually, even that is a copy. Look at Apple's home page where they highlight the 5C. Each time you refresh, you get a different color phone - with the background the same color as the phone.

I don't like it, but it's there.
  • Reply 95 of 251
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GadgetCanadaV2 View Post

I would suggest everyone stop complaining. If Apple releases a larger screen for the iPhone 6, Fandroids will be calling us out for the same thing. Companies will follow market trends no matter who starts them.

It's probably due to the "timing" of Samsung's release. If Apple were to release a larger screen, people would probably go like, "Finally!", since screen sizes larger than current iPhones have already been in a market for a couple of years. The gold/champagne phone was only officially announced on 10th September, and launched on 20th September. The lag in announcements between both companies is only slightly over 2 weeks. That said, it's just my personal opinion.

• Reply 96 of 251
    Fandroids: Apple did not invent Gold!!
    True. But they were the first one to use it on a phone. Just like to use 64-bit chips in a phone.
  • Reply 98 of 251

Samsung uses real gold plated plastic… with higher karats than Apple's version, 24k vs 14k :-)

Shameless indeed!

shamesung

• Reply 99 of 251

Samsung: I copy therefore I am.

• Reply 100 of 251
    psitthipo wrote: »
    Do Samsung customers feel ashamed of what their brand is doing?
    No, because they don't buy the brand, they just buy a commodity. What label is on it is immaterial. The salesperson told them "it's just as good as an iPhone and it's cheaper and has a bigger screen." Samsung, the choice of indiscriminate buyers.