Samsung follows Apple's lead, announces new gold edition of Galaxy S4

Comments

• Reply 102 of 251

Another moron.

• Reply 103 of 251
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bgarnett View Post

and WTF is that barbie inspired thing, did said Matel doll spew on their phone or something?

You know Barbie has her own patented Pantone color so Samsung better make sure it is different or yet another corporate legal team will be paying them a visit.

• Reply 104 of 251

Why is anyone surprised, shocked or outraged by this? How did you not see this coming? Samsung's strategy is to leave out no size, no feature and, clearly, no color either. There is nothing wrong with this. Just as there is nothing wrong with Apple deciding to make 5c available in an array of colours that Nokia claims are similar to their Lumia colours. 

I am more interested in seeing if HTC will produce a gold version of the One, as rumors suggest. Because their back casing is also aluminum, I wonder how closely the hue of their gold anodizing will resemble that of the gold 5s.

It would be curious to see if there will soon be a gold iPad or even gold Macbook Air.

• Reply 105 of 251
    I can't believe Samsung is so low they have no dignity
  • Reply 106 of 251
    So here is the solution - pull our troops out of South Korea and let the North come down and do what's right - take Samesung out.
  • Reply 107 of 251
    A new definition of knock off.
  • Reply 108 of 251
    WHy don't Samsung call their new gold Phone the Me2 ? The way they constantly 'rip-off' Apple product designs is becoming boring. It is such a pity that they can't produce something ORIGINAL and of quality for a change. Nothing wrong with good quality plastic though.
  • Reply 109 of 251
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    macraja wrote: »
    True. But they were the first one to use it on a phone. Just like to use 64-bit chips in a phone.

That's not true. There have been other gold mobile phones before. Search online for lots of examples.
  • Reply 110 of 251

Wow. Just wow. That's just shameless.

They couldn't have waited a few months to try and play it off as a new idea?

• Reply 111 of 251
    rosujin wrote: »
    Ok. Now this is just sad and shameless.

Plus pitiful and pathetic.
  • Reply 112 of 251
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    What would wilco say?
  • Reply 113 of 251
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

Fandroids: Apple did not invent Gold!!

Actually, the third party companies that were taking old models of iPads and iPhones were plating them Gold a LONG time ago.  It's just a color option.  I don't know what the big deal is.  Apple's phones, just like Samsung are just an anodizing job or a decorative coating and not REAL gold.

• Reply 114 of 251
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by reydn View Post

If Apple wants to copy Samsung, they just have to copy themselves.

If fingerprint technology is old, I guess I'm ancient. No one seems to get fingerprinting right - until now. I'd say the technology is just coming out of puberty.

HP has had older type of fingerprint technology on their laptops.  But was a different type of sensor that you run your finger over and I believe they were using the same company's technology that Apple bought.

• Reply 115 of 251

To top it off, that 'shot' is just probably photoshopped S4 - a vaporware, that is.

Samsung is a disgrace to Koreans and knows no shame.

• Reply 116 of 251
    I'd like to see them try, because they've never defended the use of the word in marketing. Remember folks, it's only wrong when Apple does it.

I think it's only trademarked for wine/drinks/liquids and not for the color. That's why there are sparkling wines from CA and not Californian Champagne.

In a side note: so many winning comments on this thread!
  • Reply 117 of 251
    Originally Posted by psitthipo View Post

Do Samsung customers feel ashamed of what their brand is doing?

Originally Posted by vwkismet View Post

Do you think they are ever just embarrassed by this conduct?

They do. Until the next check rolls in; then they’re set.

Originally Posted by hydr View Post

Next up SouchID. Lol.

Touch-S.

Originally Posted by Father Barry

As much as I like my iPhone 5s, Im not really sure why you're so upset when Samsung has already  been using this gold trim look for about 6 months now. I mean, It's just a color that happens to be  popular in some markets.

Fa’ter, an’ I say ‘dis wit’ all due respect, get bent, ya blighter.

Originally Posted by MiddleGround

[post]

You, too.

Originally Posted by smackdown View Post

Kim Kardashian would be perfect for Samsung. Cheap. Fake. Classless. Now that's a person that represents Samsung's target market quite well.

Also a huge bu–screen.

• Reply 118 of 251
    jragosta wrote: »
    Actually, there have been other gold phones on the market before. Just search for 'gold mobile phone' and you'll see lots of examples.

Yes you're correct but the timing is just awful. Making a gold version of a phone released months ago is a pure knee jerk me too move. It's shameless, and would be laughable if it wasn't so sad.
  • Reply 119 of 251
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by reydn View Post

If fingerprint technology is old, I guess I'm ancient. No one seems to get fingerprinting right - until now. I'd say the technology is just coming out of puberty.

piling on...

laptops were old technology when the MacBook was released

mp3 players were old when the iPod was released

Smartphones had been around for years prior to the iPhone

Microsoft claims that they invented the tablet computer in 2001, 9 years before the iPad.

Apple didn't invent 64bit computing… just made it work for phones.

and...

Apple didn't invent fingerprint authentication… just made it right for the consumer.  It's not perfect, just better.  I suspect, like Siri, this will be tuned up every year with HW and SW to make it better. Something that will be hard to do in an 'open' solution, given the number of HW and SW variations.

• Reply 120 of 251
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    Yes you're correct but the timing is just awful. Making a gold version of a phone released months ago is a pure knee jerk me too move. It's shameless, and would be laughable if it wasn't so sad.

I'm sure it's purely coincidental, just like their S-Voice and 64-bit processor announcement.

edit: I just got word Samsung will one-up Apple's 64-bit A7 by offering a 65-bit processor in the S5.