Samsung follows Apple's lead, announces new gold edition of Galaxy S4

Comments

• Reply 121 of 251
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    Yes you're correct but the timing is just awful. Making a gold version of a phone released months ago is a pure knee jerk me too move. It's shameless, and would be laughable if it wasn't so sad.

Oh, I agree with that part. It's an obvious knee-jerk "Apple was successful with a gold phone so we need one" action and would be shameless for any company with even a shred of integrity.

But one doesn't have to incorrectly state that Apple was first with a gold phone in order to highlight the silliness of this action.
  • Reply 122 of 251
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MiddleGround View Post

I just wish Apple had some more innovation left than to just add a different color to their phones or an old technology like fingerprint security.

Not sure why the Apple folks get so fired up about something meaningless like color. 

The first statement is one that is made allot and annoys me. The major changes, besides the fingerprint scanner, is the A7 itself, Motion Coprocessor, 64 bit architecture, OpenGL and iOS7. All of it combined sets Apple on a path that again changes what a smartphone (and I imagine the tablet) is capable of doing.  Again, while Fingerprint scanning technology is not new, the engineering and method used, in the speed and time frame its done, as well as the ability to use any part of the finger, is unprecedented in a smartphone. 

The innovation comments, in regard to the smartphone is what bothers me. Apple turned the smartphone makers and industry on its head. Are you asking them to totally revolutionize what we all know and use as a smartphone every year? All the other smart phone players have since copied the formula and arguably caught up somewhat. While Apple might copy/borrow ideas from android and vice vera, on the software level (which many have argued shouldn't really be patented items by any party), Apple is the ONLY company that innovates on a hardware level time and time again. They are the first to adopt new technology and architecture in their devices and work to get the most out of the hardware given the size of the device;  Screen, memory, processor speed (cpu & gpu), battery life, wireless, bluetooth,  etc.  Android and windows device makers are always steps  behind Apple in this regard and never are the 1st to innovate anything hardware wise that gets put in said devices. After apple does the legwork they quickly try and copy and throw more specs in a device to compensate, then an Apple refresh and the cycle continues. 64bit is a huge step despite the pundits and its what is going to push Apple as the defacto in the business community as well as gaming community. Transition to 64bit by iPhone developers, over the next 12 months or less will also result in better performance, battery life etc going forward. I'm sure this will be a stepping stone to allow Apple to then refine the iPhone yet again.  Lets not forget that the Closed Ecosystem and vertical integration of Hardware and software of Apple is going to allow Apple to create these shifts much faster and greater then any competitor. 

But... lets make one thing clear. Apple already innovated the Smartphone with the original iPhone doing things with hardware others never considered. Apple has innovated across many sectors over the years: all in one computer - iMac, Thinnest notebook - Macbook Air, Smart Phone - iPhone,  Tablet - iPad. Music - iPod, etc. The pace at which Apple has innovated all of those sectors is astounding and doing so with all the nay Sayers saying their ideas will never be mainstream. How easy we forget.  Let me ask you a question, How much more Innovation can one squeeze out of the smartphone? The innovation happened the day it was released. The only other innovating thing that can happen is if the concept of a smart phone became something else entirely. 

Incremental enhancements I understand but Innovating, like it has done with the aforementioned devices, among many others, doesn't come annually. No company has ever innovated to the degree that apple has done, in the short span of time in which it has done it. We know Apple is working on other "things" to be released. This "could" include a brand new sector. We know they are eyeing TV and other areas, like wearable technology. Innovation will come but will be solving a different problem or changing the way we interact with another device or hardware. But, when that happens, someone will quickly jump up and say "What has Apple done lately". 

• Reply 123 of 251
    Samsung is not a copycat, they simply borrow ideas. I wonder when they will release their new flat UI design.
  • Reply 124 of 251
    akqies wrote: »
    I'm sure it's purely coincidental, just like their S-Voice and 64-bit processor announcement.

edit: I just got word Samsung will one-up Apple's 64-bit A7 by offering a 65-bit processor in the S5.

Agreed but they at least waited until releasing a new device before incorporating S voice, and have to wait at least 9 months before they put a 64 bit processor in the SGS 5 but this is a "stop the press, let's copy Apple" move.
  • Reply 125 of 251
    Gold is a gaudy and ugly color to begin with. No one will believe it's actual gold because it's plastic. Now the iphone 5S....
  • Reply 126 of 251
    I just wish Apple had some more innovation left than to just add a different color to their phones or an old technology like fingerprint security.

So you ignore all the mother changes they made with the 5S in HW and SW? Aren't you reasonable. /s

Saying Apple's new convenience option that allows some security to the 50% or more of users that don't want to bother with a PIN is the same old fingerprint biometric you've seen for decades then I guess you claim that Apple is pathetic and lacks innovation for still using displays or processors, or worse, one and zeros. I bet you expect Apple's A8 to be 128-bit or you'll claim Apple is doomed.
    The innovation and advances that both brands show only makes for better products for all of us. And yes, Android, Samsung and others innovate and push Apple to try harder.

Funny how you didn't say Apple pushes other to work harder. Bias, much?
  • Reply 127 of 251
    O_K?!
  • Reply 128 of 251
    jakesun wrote: »
    Samsung is not a copycat, they simply borrow ideas. I wonder when they will release their new flat UI design.

You meant "steal" ideas. If this was written text, they'd be guilty of plagiarism.
  • Reply 129 of 251
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

No, because they don't buy the brand, they just buy a commodity. What label is on it is immaterial. The salesperson told them "it's just as good as an iPhone and it's cheaper and has a bigger screen." Samsung, the choice of indiscriminate buyers.

In my case, you're not entirely off the mark, but not entirely on it either.  I *do* look at my phone as a piece of consumer electronics- more or less a commodity.  That's how I looked at my iPhone (at the time, it was the best phone on the market for me) and how I look at my current Android phone.  I generally don't place a whole lot of my value as a person in what type of car I drive (although its a nice one) nor what type of phone I use (although that's a nice one too).

Call me crazy for not going into Best Buy and complaining that all the flat screen TV's look more or less the same nor getting upset that they all have the power buttons in more or less the same place.  I also don't complain that one car manufacturer copied another and actually put *rubber* tires on their cars copying the other manufacturers.

I just really don't see anything all that amazing about the iPhones.  If you take all the technology out of them that Apple didn't invent there would barely be a product left.  I *do* think Apple builds great products and has a great sense of taste and just brilliantly markets their products.  I don't think that just because Apple used gold in their phone nobody else should be allowed to use it in their phones.  Or they could trade... since Samsung built black and grey phones way before Apple even made phones, Apple shouldn't have copied them and should build *only* gold phones and nobody else can then use gold.  Fair is fair, right?

I love tech and for now my Android phone fits my needs far better than Apple's offering.  If Apple builds a bigger screen, allows widgets, and allows third party keyboards or at least copies some of the Android offerings to get rid of their stone age one I'd take another look.  Without those I'll choose Android because it is better for *me* (not for everyone)- not because some hapless salesmen duped me into it, but because I looked at all the offerings pretty carefully (including Apples) and chose the best one for me.
  • Reply 130 of 251

I wish they would copy some of the things that Samsung does or as you seem to think they just need to copy themselves. Would love for Apple to copy Apple on:

1. Larger screen options

2. Removable battery

3. Non-proprietary cables ($3 versus $30)

4. Live tile / widget updates (Android feature that is awesome - Google Now rocks on Android phones and it alone is worth the switch)

5. Automatic updates of apps. (Oh... scratch that. Apple followed Androids lead here )

Speaking of copying, I just updated my iPad and wow, does it now look like the latest version of Android or what? Actually a huge improvement since IOS was looking dated compared to other devices and platforms out there. Unfortunately it didn't go far enough in my opinion.

Look folks, both sides take elements from each other and as customers we enjoy the benefit of this. Imagine if nobody was pushing Apple or any of the many Android manufacturers (or Google) what we would have. Innovation and taking what the other has done and making it better is what Apple (and others) are all about and I'm all for it. Apple didn't invent any of this stuff. They just took what others had done and made it better.

Having said all of this, I'm an Apple shareholder because I love the products they create and they have a loyal following. Could they be even better? Yes. What drives me nuts though and why a lot of people won't buy Apple products is because of the sheep and Apple lovers that think that Apple can do no wrong and they blab to whoever will listen and every other product is the enemy. It's not a very likable trait and it's not the majority but it's a very loud minority that I'm sure won't change.

• Reply 131 of 251
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    If Samsung are trying to make themselves impossible to parody, they just nailed it.
  • Reply 132 of 251

So... Samsung interviewed hundreds of people standing in line for the new iPhone as to why they were there... and their takeaway was that Samsung needed to produce a gold plastic phone.

Right.

• Reply 133 of 251
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    I wish they would copy some of the things that Samsung does or as you seem to think they just need to copy themselves. Would love for Apple to copy Apple on:

1. Larger screen options

Will probably happen eventually when they can do so without quality sacrifices. Cook already said as much.

That is in contrast to Samsung crapware. There was a review in my paper this morning from a normally Samsung-friendly writer who panned the new 6.3" Samsung phone. Not only was the device so large that it's clumsy and hard to use, but the screen quality stinks. Apple doesn't sell crap. When they can make a larger phone without sacrifice, they will - but I expect it will be 4.3 to 4.5", not 5 or 6 or 6.3".
    2. Removable battery

Not going to happen. There are too many tradeoffs. Replaceable batteries make the entire phone more fragile and waste huge mounts of space. They also create a problem area that creates dissatisfaction.

Now, I can understand that if your OS is so bad that you need a quad core 2+ GHz processor in order to make it usable that you might want to swap batteries, but it's not worth the sacrifice for most iPhone users. If you're one of the few who really needs more battery life, get a battery case.

Not going to happen. $3 cables are crap.
    4. Live tile / widget updates (Android feature that is awesome - Google Now rocks on Android phones and it alone is worth the switch)

No real value. It's a gimmick that doesn't do anything useful.
    5. Automatic updates of apps. (Oh... scratch that. Apple followed Androids lead here )

I don't know who followed who, but it's certainly more practical with iOS when you don't have to worry about every other app being malware.
  • Reply 134 of 251
    I've given Samsung a pass on prior copying for the sake of competition in the marketplace...but this...this takes the cake.

Releasing a gold casing immediately after the iPhone 5s gold case shortage / popularity "oh yea we have 64bit chips coming soon too!" makes me want to puke.

Their hardware has no soul. Their keynotes show that.
  • Reply 135 of 251

1. Larger screen options
    2. Removable battery

Speaking of copying, I just updated my iPad and wow, does it now look like the latest version of Android or what? Actually a huge improvement since IOS was looking dated compared to other devices and platforms out there. Unfortunately it didn't go far enough in my opinion.

Look folks, both sides take elements from each other and as customers we enjoy the benefit of this. Imagine if nobody was pushing Apple or any of the many Android manufacturers (or Google) what we would have. Innovation and taking what the other has done and making it better is what Apple (and others) are all about and I'm all for it. Apple didn't invent any of this stuff. They just took what others had done and made it better.

Having said all of this, I'm an Apple shareholder because I love the products they create and they have a loyal following. Could they be even better? Yes. What drives me nuts though and why a lot of people won't buy Apple products is because of the sheep and Apple lovers that think that Apple can do no wrong and they blab to whoever will listen and every other product is the enemy. It's not a very likable trait and it's not the majority but it's a very loud minority that I'm sure won't change.

In that case, I wish Samsung would copy Apple on:

1. Device being idealized for the average pocket.
    2. All day battery life and an OS that doesn't require the replacement or swapping of a battery for normal operation.
    3. Access ports that are multi-use and encourage a thriving accessories market.
    4. Useful apps with a fantastic SDK, frameworks and APIs that maximize developer efficiency while increasing user satisfaction and productivity (I dislike how the clock icon now has the correct time with a moving second hand. Regardless of the amount of battery life this "live" icon uses it's not useful.)
    5. Yes, when it was feasible and complete thy implemented it, not before, just like with cut/copy/paste which is still inconsistent in Android.
  • Reply 136 of 251
    Wait till the dual-LED flash debuts on Samsung device(s).

Samsung knocked on the doors of the same Apple's 'True Tone' LED flash to ask for the same component. However, Apple has secured exclusivity and hence Samsung gotten another variant of that technology.
  • Reply 137 of 251

Agreed on some of this. I actually thought I would mind a larger phone more in my pocket but I don't. I wish Apple offered the option.

I wish both devices had better battery life and haven't had success with Apple products either on this.

I also don't like some things about Android so it goes both ways. So many times on this board have blinders on and only love for Apple and hate for everything else. Thanks for proving there are some people out there who can see both sides with me.

• Reply 138 of 251

Forgot to add, and I'm not 100% sure about this but I Samsung has a mini version of their Galaxy line. At the least there are tons of other options from other manufacturers. I wish Apple had more choices but at least they have come out with two phones in their latest iteration.

• Reply 139 of 251
    No, you guys! I think this is satire!!

Bwahahahaha! You just can't make this stuff up.
  • Reply 140 of 251
    jragosta wrote: »
    Will probably happen eventually when they can do so without quality sacrifices. Cook already said as much.

When they can do it without the added bulk we see now from other vendors I think they will. Like how the iPhone 5 has less volume and weight than the 4S despite the bigger display.

Let's remember that other vendors jumped at the larger display so they could add inefficient 1st and 2nd gen LTE chips as a marketing ploy since it was more 'G' than Apple was offering.
    Not going to happen. $3 cables are crap.

They can literally kill you. But, hey, who cares about safety, reliability, or utility? /s