FAA advisory board's recommendation on in-flight use of portable electronics due next week

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
The U.S. Federal Aviation Administration will be receiving word from an advisory committee in the coming week that may lead to the loosening of restrictions on personal electronic device use during takeoff and landing.

Hawaiian Airlines

In the coming week, the FAA is due to hear back from a panel of industry representatives, who could recommend that the agency relax its rules regarding in-flight use of PEDs and allow passengers to keep working through all phases of flight.

The FAA has for decades required PEDs to be shut off during takeoff and landing to prevent interference with a plane's communication and navigation equipment. Frequent flyers and commuters who may need those extra few minutes to finish work or an important call have complained that the rule is arcane and should be modified.

The proliferation of mobile devices, spurred in part by popular connected Apple devices like the iPhone and iPad, has made the issue more pressing as almost every passenger carries some type of handset, multimedia player or computer on board. Many turn to these devices for entertainment or work while traveling.

Some argue that the regulations are too strict, citing the fact that passengers often leave their devices turned on, accidentally or purposely, with no perceivable negative impact to the plane's instrumentation. Of course the rules are in place as a precautionary measure, but those in opposition say the FAA should take a second look at the extent of the restrictions.

"The FAA recognizes consumers are intensely interested in the use of personal electronics aboard aircraft,'' the agency said in a statement Monday, as reported by USA Today. "That is why we tasked a government-industry group to examine the safety issues and the feasibility of changing the current restrictions. . . . We will wait for the group to finish its work before we determine next steps."
FAA regulations are "inconvenient to travelers, don't make sense, and lack a scientific basis." - Sen. Claire McCaskill
Supporting the effort to loosen restrictions is Senator Claire McCaskill (D-Mo.), who serves as Chairman of the Senate panel on Consumer Protection. McCaskill is pushing for "commonsense" changes to the FAA regulations, saying the existing protocols are "inconvenient to travelers, don't make sense, and lack a scientific basis."

As for the FAA's final judgment on the matter, McCaskill said she is prepared to take the issue to Congress if the agency chooses not keep the existing rules without offering a compelling explanation.

"Given the technological advancement of both PEDs and critical air navigation and flight control systems since the rules were put in place, updated protocols for safe use of PEDs on board commercial flights are long overdue," McCaskill said.

Apple's iPad has gained momentum in the aviation industry with the tablet being used as an electronic flight bag for pilots flying for American Airlines, Jet Blue, and smaller regional companies. More recently, Hawaiian Airlines adopted the iPad mini as an in-flight entertainment hub for certain routes, a strategy already in use by other airlines like Qantas.

The FAA's determination will likely be announced in the coming week, though "technicalities" held up a similar decision in March. News that the agency was investigating a possible change to its regulations was first reported in June.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 24
    I can finally stop hiding my headphones while I listen to music during takeoff. I truly believe some flight attendants enjoy ordering passengers around and oppose this measure because it will diminish their powers.
  • Reply 2 of 24
    wardcwardc Posts: 150member

Comment deleted.

• Reply 3 of 24

Can't wait. :D

• Reply 4 of 24
    Quote:

Originally Posted by rosujin View Post

... I truly believe some flight attendants enjoy ordering passengers around and oppose this measure because it will diminish their powers.

While that may be true, most of them "order you around" because they risk getting fired if they don't.  Their JOB is to make the passengers obey government mandates (such as having electronic devices turned off during take-off and landing.)  If they are seen NOT enforcing this by the FAA, the airline gets fined.  (and yes, the FAA DOES occasionally send folks out "under cover" to just observe how the airlines do what they are supposed to do.)

When the airline gets fined because the flight attendant did NOT do the job he/she was hired to do, that flight attendant gets canned.

I realize YOU don't care if she keeps her job or not, but THAT is generally why you are told to put your iPod away... those rules are handed down from on high by the all-knowing and benevolent government, they just have to enforce them.

• Reply 5 of 24
    cwscws Posts: 59member

I am quite sure that virtually all flight attendants dread having to ask recalcitrant bozos like you to follow the rules.  You should show them basic courtesy.  They are not on a power trip.  They are just doing their jobs.

• Reply 6 of 24
    Quote:

The proliferation of mobile devices, spurred in part by popular connected Apple devices like the iPhone and iPad, has made the issue more pressing

No, the fact that pilots are now using iPads (not passengers) is the pressing issue as it is very hypocritical to allow them and not us.  

• Reply 7 of 24

What is more ignorant is the rules themselves. Once again, America decides to push regulations onto the innocent thinking those that break the law will obey. As in, if a terrorist (enter NSA search) wanted to use this method to bring down an aircraft, they would not comply with FAA regulations at all. This is nothing more than fools making empty rules, for if they really wanted to protect the aircraft, they would mandate all aircraft be made secure from such radio signals. That would be something they could actually control. 

• Reply 8 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

While that may be true, most of them "order you around" because they risk getting fired if they don't.  Their JOB is to make the passengers obey government mandates (such as having electronic devices turned off during take-off and landing.)  If they are seen NOT enforcing this by the FAA, the airline gets fined.  (and yes, the FAA DOES occasionally send folks out "under cover" to just observe how the airlines do what they are supposed to do.)

When the airline gets fined because the flight attendant did NOT do the job he/she was hired to do, that flight attendant gets canned.

I realize YOU don't care if she keeps her job or not, but THAT is generally why you are told to put your iPod away... those rules are handed down from on high by the all-knowing and benevolent government, they just have to enforce them.

Agreed. I've seen enough passengers acting like idiots. I actually had a guy sitting next to me who wouldn't stop texting on his iPhone before we started to taxi for takeoff. The flight attendant asked him nicely to turn off his phone and put it away. He just said something like, "Okay, hold on" and continued to text. She then got on the microphone, introduced him to the rest of the passengers on the plane and announced that he was delaying departure and that she would have him taken off the plane if he didn't immediately comply. He grudgingly put his phone away and we finally got moving. What a douche.

I don't have time for crap like he pulled.

• Reply 9 of 24
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Napoleon_PhoneApart View Post

Can't wait. :D

Dude?

• Reply 10 of 24
    Dude?

Perhaps he's just missing LOST
  • Reply 11 of 24
    Agreed. I've seen enough passengers acting like idiots. I actually had a guy sitting next to me who wouldn't stop texting on his iPhone before we started to taxi for takeoff. The flight attendant asked him nicely to turn off his phone and put it away. He just said something like, "Okay, hold on" and continued to text. She then got on the microphone, introduced him to the rest of the passengers on the plane and announced that he was delaying departure and that she would have him taken off the plane if he didn't immediately comply. He grudgingly put his phone away and we finally got moving. What a douche.

I don't have time for crap like he puled.

I understand the flight attendants' mandate to protect the safety of passengers and enforce rules outlined by the government. However, it was the flight attendant union that successfully reversed the recent TSA decision to relax the rules on carry-on item restrictions. So on one hand, the flight attendants are forced to "aggressively" enforce rules mandated by the government, but on the other hand they resist moves to do away with rules deemed obsolete by the government.

The electronic device rules are still being challenged by the flight attendants: http://consumerist.com/2013/09/24/faa-panel-to-recommend-allowing-use-of-electronic-devices-during-takeoff-landing/
  • Reply 12 of 24
    Quote:

Originally Posted by johnnyb0731 View Post

Perhaps he's just missing LOST

Could be.

• Reply 13 of 24
    Quote:

Originally Posted by rosujin View Post

I understand the flight attendants' mandate to protect the safety of passengers and enforce rules outlined by the government. However, it was the flight attendant union that successfully reversed the recent TSA decision to relax the rules on carry-on item restrictions. So on one hand, the flight attendants are forced to "aggressively" enforce rules mandated by the government, but on the other hand they resist moves to do away with rules deemed obsolete by the government.

The electronic device rules are still being challenged by the flight attendants: http://consumerist.com/2013/09/24/faa-panel-to-recommend-allowing-use-of-electronic-devices-during-takeoff-landing/

I was on a flight like this too. Everyone gave the guy when the flight attendant brought attention to the fact why were were leaving late. He was applauded when he hung up which was pretty quickly after the flight attendant announcement. Good stuff! Pretty disrespectful by the person who wouldn't listen. I would have loved to see him carted off the plane and hear the roar of the passengers as he got booted.

• Reply 14 of 24
    No, the fact that pilots are now using iPads (not passengers) is the pressing issue as it is very hypocritical to allow them and not us.  

Not during takeoffs and landings.
  • Reply 15 of 24
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Not during takeoffs and landings.

And you know this how? I'm sure you are going to say regulation, like those that state not drinking on the job? 

And why in flight, but not take off or landing? How is the aircraft less vulnerable in flight than during take off or landing? 

• Reply 16 of 24
    Uh oh. It's only a matter of minutes before we get the posts of "better safe than sorry" and "the real reason for the rule is to prevent injury from potential flying objects". Anyone wanna be the first idiot to make these claims?
  • Reply 17 of 24
    Yay app addicts can play app 24/7 everywhere, every time now (with power provided)
  • Reply 18 of 24

I would like to see what data (about danger to the plane) the FAA used to ban electronic devices in the first place. Was the ban because of something real that could disrupt navigation or was the ban because of FUD?

• Reply 19 of 24
    we shouldn't be required to wear seat belts either.
  • Reply 20 of 24
    And you know this how? I'm sure you are going to say regulation, like those that state not drinking on the job? 

And why in flight, but not take off or landing? How is the aircraft less vulnerable in flight than during take off or landing? 

Ummm maybe because their hands are busy.