my ipad useless after upgrade to ios7

Posted:
in iPad edited February 2014

I upgraded my ipad 3 with ios7 3 days ago. Then, I got a message from ipad that I need to suyn with iTunes. I sync with my iTunes so many times, buy I cannot get my ipad 3 working again. I always got the error from iTunes "There was a problem downloading the software for the ipad "ipad". The network connection timed out". Then, I asked apple suport staff, he instructed me holding two keys, then one key afterward. It does NOT work. The same error message. iPad 3 is useless now. so, what next? anyone can help???

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    Quote:

Originally Posted by fire8ipad View Post

I upgraded my ipad 3 with ios7 3 days ago. Then, I got a message from ipad that I need to suyn with iTunes. I sync with my iTunes so many times, buy I cannot get my ipad 3 working again. I always got the error from iTunes "There was a problem downloading the software for the ipad "ipad". The network connection timed out". Then, I asked apple suport staff, he instructed me holding two keys, then one key afterward. It does NOT work. The same error message. iPad 3 is useless now. so, what next? anyone can help???

No idea why your device upgrade failed, but now it's not going to work until iTunes can get the software from Apple's servers which, from your error message, appears not to be happening. Whether that is a server problem or your network is hard to say, but the servers do seem to have been somewhat overloaded with iOS7 requests. I have one device that has been trying to upgrade for nearly 12 hours.

• Reply 2 of 10

Thanks for comment. I tried for 3 days. I got the same error message for  3 days. It appears that iTunes can download the software (it takes 45 minutes) every time. After completion of the download, the same error message is showed. Retry many times, the same issue. I talked Apple support staff, it is no help. my ipad becomes a piece of junk, sitting sucking power.

• Reply 3 of 10

Download the file directly, DFU restore.

• Reply 4 of 10

thanks. where to direct download and what is DFU?

• Reply 5 of 10
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    fire8ipad wrote: »
    thanks. where to direct download and what is DFU?

Device Firmware Update, and if your're trying to restore 6.x Apple isn't signing it for your iPad anymore. That door closed yesterday.

If you want the 7.0 update you can get that here:
    http://www.icj.me/ios/all

Then follow the procedure here:
    http://www.theipadguide.com/faq/how-do-i-put-my-ipad-dfu-mode

Edit: There's a really nice explanation of DFU here. Really worth the read if you're not familiar with it.
    http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-hacking/27489-dfu-mode-dummies.html
  • Reply 6 of 10

hi there, i have the same problem...ipad 3, IO7 Update via WLAN OTA, no jailbreak, never; after i started the update everything looks fine, download complete, accept the apple terms and the software update started. i did some other stuff and after a while i looked for my ipad again. the screen shows the "connect to itunes" screen. so i connected my ipad to pc via usb. itunes started and a message appears that an ipad in service mode is detected and if i what to use it i have to do a recovery. i thought...damn. so i started the recovery, itunes loads the ios7 update to the local HDD, accept the apple terms and the recovery/update started. software update works fine than itunes tried to do a firemware update and during that the update crashes. itunes message say "unknown error" and thats it. the ipad shows the "connect to itunes" screen again. i tried it about 5-6 times...no chance! DFU-restore don't work for me

• Reply 7 of 10
    I met the same problem after update my iPad, however, when i do a restore, [URL=http://iphone-ipad-ipod-data-recovery.blogspot.tw/2013/09/ios7-lost-contacts.html]iOS 7 lost contacts[/URL]!
  • Reply 8 of 10

I'm having the same issue as the above poster.  iPad 2, never jailbroken, loaded iOs7, worked fine for a couple days (I don't like it but, whatever).  Then it asked me to update for "minor bug fixes" nd something about a Greek option for the passcode and now it asks me to plug it into the USB and itunes tells me to restore and then it won't.  Is there a fix??  I might go to the Apple store today and pitch a fit...

• Reply 9 of 10

This problem bothers me for a long time. I'm using iPhone 4S now. I updated to iOS 7 about two weeks which makes me regret now for I ahve met bugs. Besides this OS has a high power consumption.

• Reply 10 of 10
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveMC View Post

hi there, i have the same problem...ipad 3, IO7 Update via WLAN OTA, no jailbreak, never; after i started the update everything looks fine, download complete, accept the apple terms and the software update started. i did some other stuff and after a while i looked for my ipad again. the screen shows the "connect to itunes" screen. so i connected my ipad to pc via usb. itunes started and a message appears that an ipad in service mode is detected and if i what to use it i have to do a recovery. i thought...damn. so i started the recovery, itunes loads the ios7 update to the local HDD, accept the apple terms and the recovery/update started. software update works fine than itunes tried to do a firemware update and during that the update crashes. itunes message say "unknown error" and thats it. the ipad shows the "connect to itunes" screen again. i tried it about 5-6 times...no chance! DFU-restore don't work for me

believe it or not but my ipad came back to live...

after a few attempts to reactivate the ipad via tinyumbrella redsnow etc in an logfile (created while trying to install ios via tinyumbrella) i found a hint that my broadband chip is defect. so i tried to figure out if some mobiledoc can fix this... while looking around on google i found this guy who said he had a defect broadband chip, too. he get ios back via itunes! he said that you have to heat up the pad to about

150°f / 65°c and then recover it with tunes.

so, i put my ipad between a warmingpillow, let it get hot, pluged it to tunes, started the recovery and what should i say...IT WORKED

after that the ipad shut down. so i try to start it but the display says it is too hot an turned off again so i let it cool down and with a normal temperature everything works now...only the 3g seems to be broken...it finds not network....but an wifi ipad is better then an broken one

i say it again, believe it or not, but i you have a broken broadbad chip, too...try it if you have balls ;)